Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
What do you need to see to understand that only those earning over $250,000 a year will have their taxes raised, and most of us will see our taxes decreased.
He's not against Clean Coal or nuclear, he's stated repeatedly he's for CLEAN Coal, and would be for Nuclear if it would be proven 100% safe (it is, and I wish he'd understand that).
How is he weak on national security, we need to talk to countries, and we need to get out of Iraq. How has Iraq made us more safe. The middle east still hates us, Al Qaida is in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and was never in Iraq, and Iraq had no WMDs (made up Bush Lie), and McCain would indefinitely leave our troops to die there, while Obama will bring them home and strengthen our military. How is he a terrorist sympathizer when he is the only one who said he'd go into Pakistan to get Bin Laden (that's where he's hiding).
Your generation needs to get over your rascism and stop using your fear tactics, and see that we are about to elect a great leader in Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Perhaps I can help out here. The OP is clearly upset at the prospect of an Obama presidency and is likely in a here-we-go-again state of mind. The problem the OP and I have with an Obama presidency is that the policies he is selling as "change" is something new to young people but not to us. We've seem this all before. I'm 46 and I voted for the first time in the 1980 election after four years of Stagflation, or Carternomics. Our present misery index is about half what it was at the end of the Carter administration (20.5%). I really don't want to go back to an economy like that or the weak failed foreign policy that led us into the present situation.

The problem that we have is one of perspective. The Bush policy of preemption has been too effective, and we have forgotten that people want to kill us and our children. If we had had an additional attack on Americans post 9/11, we would not be considering this person for president. Now we are to sit down and have a conversation with these radical Islamic nutjobs. Obama has a huge ego that has assured him that he can just work things out with anyone. Carter was naive too. Anyone who lived through those years remembers them as dark days. RCP has past electoral maps. Check out the ones for the 1980 and 1984 elections.
It's very telling.
I do not understand your linking Obama to Carter. If you have to link Obama's policies to any past president, they are Clinton-esque. Where the country did VERY well. You are playing connect the dots but with no basis.

So, okay, you do not want to sit down and talk to radical islamic nutjobs. Fine. that's not what obama wants to do. Obama wants to go AFTER those people - Bin Laden, al qaeda - instead of DISTRACTING the American people with an unwinnable war in Iraq.

But i have to ask - what is your problem with dipolomacy? the cowboy approach to the rest of the world (a la Bush) certainly hasn't worked. "don't agree with us? we'll bomb you!" See, THAT kind of behavior only results in MORE people hating the united states so we are at a greater risk, national security-wise.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:10 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,979,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear2 View Post
In my entire life, I have rarely come across a person under the age of 25 who could have an intelligent, informed conversation regarding business operations, economics, world news, or politics in general. If young people support Obama, it does not surprise me at all. There is a reason why they are considered inexperienced, idealistic, and naive - it's a deserved stereotype.
1. where do you live? and 2. how many people under 25 have you tried to have a conversation with?

You are extremely judgemental. ok, so young people are inexperienced, idealistic and naive. Well, older people are rigid, stubborn, stuck in the past and bitter.
Are we done throwing out all the ridiculous stereotypes now?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:11 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,607,468 times
Following Obama like blind sheep? And this is different from rock-ribbed Republicans praising McCain to the skies simply because he's a Republican?

Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,244,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfurman View Post
I think a lot of young people tend to lean democratic b/c they have an idealistic view of doing things "for the greater good". Not only that, they haven't received a "real" paycheck yet, and have yet to experience the horror of seeing what you earn vs. what you take home.
Um, not quite true, in school, I actually was a republican, (maybe b/c my parents were), and I've become a Democrat since after seeing what GOP policies have done to this nation.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:13 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,208,847 times
Quote:
In my entire life, I have rarely come across a person under the age of 25 who could have an intelligent, informed conversation regarding business operations, economics, world news, or politics in general. If young people support Obama, it does not surprise me at all. There is a reason why they are considered inexperienced, idealistic, and naive - it's a deserved stereotype.
I could just as easily say the majority of older people I see are extremely narrow minded. The company I currently work for is losing money (badly), and I don't know a single person over 35 who is willing to change what they do on a day to day basis, even though a company losing money means we need to change how we do business. Or I could talk about how prejudiced older people are. I ride a bike everywhere. I have a great job, can easily afford a new car, but I bike to work, to the grocery store, etc. When I am dressed in old clothes and step off a bike, older people won't hold a door for me, wont return the greeting when I say hi, etc. When I am dressed for work (khaki pants, button down shirt) the exact same greeting gives me a full blown conversation. I could say I am not surprised that older people vote down party lines without giving a moments thought to the issues at hand.

We could think like this, or we could not put the blame on an arbitrary age group and promote analysis of issues and critical thinking in general.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:05 PM

932 posts, read 1,677,858 times
I am actually offended by some of the statements thatI have read here.
1. I am very educated, more so than some of the older voters on here who just say whatever the television has told them.
2. I research the issues and look at both sides policies. To me. Obama matches what I want in a President. It is my RIGHT to vote for whom I want just like it is your RIGHT to vote for whoever you choose. I am not out here trying to stop any Mccain voter so why do all you Mccain supporters put us down? Really shows your level of maturity that you claim younger voters do not have.
3. We are voting for our futures! My parents and grand parents have struggled during this presidency and I refuse to be put through 4 more years of the same idiodic policies.
4. Some of the "adult" voters are so blind and are upset because younger voters have the power to change this election and the way this country is being run. Please just sit back and watch what will happen to this country. It only can get better from here.
5. Please do not assult people who know more than you...it can come back to bite you in the arse!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:16 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
I've been told the OP is a young person who can't figger out why his peers don't see the world through his hated-filled eyes.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:16 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
So what are you saying, that you don't get out much?

Old 11-03-2008, 02:24 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
What do you need to see to understand that only those earning over $250,000 a year will have their taxes raised, and most of us will see our taxes decreased.
He's not against Clean Coal or nuclear, he's stated repeatedly he's for CLEAN Coal, and would be for Nuclear if it would be proven 100% safe (it is, and I wish he'd understand that).
How is he weak on national security, we need to talk to countries, and we need to get out of Iraq. How has Iraq made us more safe. The middle east still hates us, Al Qaida is in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and was never in Iraq, and Iraq had no WMDs (made up Bush Lie), and McCain would indefinitely leave our troops to die there, while Obama will bring them home and strengthen our military. How is he a terrorist sympathizer when he is the only one who said he'd go into Pakistan to get Bin Laden (that's where he's hiding).
Your generation needs to get over your rascism and stop using your fear tactics, and see that we are about to elect a great leader in Obama.
We'll see in four years. A great idealist speaker does not a great leader make. Hitler was greatly inspiring to the youth of his day. The millennials are a very fickle bunch so if Obama doesn't live up to his promises they will be the first to turn on him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections