Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2008, 02:27 PM

64 posts, read 180,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.

I'm a "young person" that is in college and Iam voting for Obama not because its the "cool" thing to do but because I support his ideas. it is actually not the cool thing to do as I am from a very rural area. I'm well educated about the issues and that is why I am voting for Obama! He will modernize our country and work hard for lowering college costs. Maybe young people are more for him because he is willing to work for them and help them with issues they are currently dealing with. The world has changed a lot in the last 8 years and we need someone in charge who understands that and how to modernize our country.
ALso check your facts he will not higher our taxes unless you make over $250,000.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2008, 02:28 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,201,983 times
Quote:
I am so sick of all these young people following Obama like blind sheep. Many of them don't even know what he stands for, but are out for Obama because its the "thing to do". They need to look beyond the gay issue and their anger at the religious right, and think about issues like taxes, jobs, energy, and national security that will affect them. Obama's plan will raise taxes on people making as low as $42,000/yr, kill jobs as small businesses will go under, he is against clean coal and nuclear, increase the already monstrous national budget, and is weak on national security almost to the point he could be considered a terrorist sympathizer. Yet nearly 8 out of 10 young people are lining up like sheep to vote for him. This isn't elementary school where everyone is a winner or little league soccer where everybody gets the same trophy so nobody's "feelings are hurt". This is the real world, and this generation needs to step into it.
You just mad because people don't won't to vote for Mccain. BTW, I'm one of the young people you trying to put down. Young people know more about the election than you think.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:31 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,066,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
You just mad because people don't won't to vote for Mccain. BTW, I'm one of the young people you trying to put down. Young people know more about the election than you think.
Yes, you have the OP figgered out quite well, he's a bitter lad who's drank too much of the Kool Aid and is feeling bilious.

The young folks down at our Obama HQs here in COLO SPGS are an amazing bunch of people; smart, informed, motivated.

If young folks want to even HAVE an America to call home when they're my age, they'll vote for Obama and get us back on track.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,246,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
OK,OK, calm down. In all likelihood Obama will take the presidency tomorrow, and while I agree that it will indeed be a catastrophe for America, I have to accept the idea that it is time. And I don't mean it's time for a black president or anything as superficial as that. I mean it's time for Jimmy Carter again. Another generation has reached the voting age who may be familiar with president Carter from history class but have not yet experienced first hand the queasy feeling that comes from having a quasi leader in the White House making one blunder after another because he obviously has no earthly idea what he's doing. The last Jimmy Carter was Bill Clinton, but he got some help from Newt Gingrich in the middle of his first term that helped him get to the second term. I'm not sure how this one will turn out. Hopefully we won't have to find out first hand.

I always like to use the analogy of a child touching a hot stove for the first time. You can tell that child the stove is hot until your blue in the face and it will never have the same effect as the child learning first hand by touching the stove. From that moment on, that child doesn't need to be warned about the stove being hot. If fact, the child will warn you that the stove is hot. If OB goes through with his plans, the economy will crash and burn in predictable fashion. His naive plans for foreign policy will almost certainly get us involved in other conflicts, and don't be too surprised to see another attack by radical Islamic terrorists on US soil. When those things happen he'll blame Bush just like Clinton did or maybe the American people like Carter did.
Blunder after blunder describes the current Idiot in Chief Bush perfectly. Obama will be 100x the leader Bush or Carter were. Clinton being compared to Carter is laughable too. His policies led to the greatest period of economic growth ever. Bush has led us into the worst economic disaster since the GOP lead us into the Great Depression.

Old 11-03-2008, 02:45 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
Quote:
First, I have no idea where you are getting you info, but most of it is incorrect. Especially the part about raising taxes on people who make $42K. He is not against clean coal. He will save money, in part by getting out of Iraq. The voting age is 18. Like it or not, these people get a vote just like you. I'm sure you weren't the smartest at that age, either. So quit whining!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM

117 posts, read 168,077 times
Quote:
A lot of youth are just saying they're going to vote for him because they don't want to be bashed by their other friends who are "voting for Obama." I know a few people like this. It's sad they feel the need to hide who they are voting for, but do you blame them? If someone even says they are voting for McCain more than one person will jump on them about it. Kind of sucks

It's "uncool" to be Republican.

Doing the right thing is never easy, though

Old 11-03-2008, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Perhaps I can help out here. The OP is clearly upset at the prospect of an Obama presidency and is likely in a here-we-go-again state of mind. The problem the OP and I have with an Obama presidency is that the policies he is selling as "change" is something new to young people but not to us. We've seem this all before. I'm 46 and I voted for the first time in the 1980 election after four years of Stagflation, or Carternomics. Our present misery index is about half what it was at the end of the Carter administration (20.5%). I really don't want to go back to an economy like that or the weak failed foreign policy that led us into the present situation.

The problem that we have is one of perspective. The Bush policy of preemption has been too effective, and we have forgotten that people want to kill us and our children. If we had had an additional attack on Americans post 9/11, we would not be considering this person for president. Now we are to sit down and have a conversation with these radical Islamic nutjobs. Obama has a huge ego that has assured him that he can just work things out with anyone. Carter was naive too. Anyone who lived through those years remembers them as dark days. RCP has past electoral maps. Check out the ones for the 1980 and 1984 elections.
It's very telling.
We've had a GOP president for the last 8 years, and 6 of those years, he had a rubber stamp GOP congress and senate, and yet you think Carter's policies, have led us to this economic meltdown. I've got news for you, under Clinton, the economy was great, new jobs by the millions, avg income up by $7000, huge gain in the stock market. Under Bush, millions of jobs lost, heck 765,000 in this year alone, and avg income is down by $2000 & trillions of dollars lost in the stock market. My 401K is now worth less than the money I've put into plus the free money that my company matches into it. Pretty obvious which party is better for the economy.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:09 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreAristotle View Post
A lot of youth are just saying they're going to vote for him because they don't want to be bashed by their other friends who are "voting for Obama." I know a few people like this. It's sad they feel the need to hide who they are voting for, but do you blame them? If someone even says they are voting for McCain more than one person will jump on them about it. Kind of sucks

It's "uncool" to be Republican.

Doing the right thing is never easy, though
You're right. If you are young and admit to voting for McCain, your peers will immediately jump on you calling you things like backward, ignorant, homophobe, etc. That peer pressure, along with the increase in maturity, is likely why 18-25 year olds poll above 70 percent for Obama but that number drops to the 50s in the 25-30 group.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:16 PM

Quote:
We'll see in four years. A great idealist speaker does not a great leader make. Hitler was greatly inspiring to the youth of his day. The millennials are a very fickle bunch so if Obama doesn't live up to his promises they will be the first to turn on him.
If he fails to deliver his promises, I'll be the first to vote him out. Unlike the Rebublicans on here, who can't seem to understand that McCain is the same as Bush, and obviously, Bush's policies have failed as we are fighting an unjust illegal war, and have a failing economy, if my candidate doesn't bring about the change he's saying he will, I won't reward the same party. Things will drastically improve though if he brings on his policies. Our young men will be home from Iraq, the financial sector will be regulated and will no longer scam the public, we'll have access to health insurance, and our jobs will stop going overseas.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:25 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Its ironic. The Young people are the ones with energy, drive and intensity. Powerful short term thinkers and they can shake the world at times.
The older folks have the widom of experience. But are less willing to commit to their ideals. We sit and plan for our tomorows but we are not very good at driving the change we believe in. If only the 2 groups could meet in the middle and drive a shared dream.
Obama found the way to do just that. Unfortunately with him will come social programs and the biggest fed gov we have ever seen.
Fortunately for me I have options other than just accepting what he will turn the nation in to. I can leave if I don't like it and return when it gets back to where it should be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections