Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:21 PM

6 posts, read 8,928 times

Advertisements

I am also thinking of moving from Austin to Eugene, as the small city I came to here 18 years ago has really outgrown itself. I do love there is a lot to do here, but now I have a child and am looking for a calmer, easier life, and other parents to hang out with. Plus, less traffic and concrete. I am beginning to have a hard time getting around because of the traffic, and find i am getting crankier. Austin seems to be a place where families (really moms and kids)meet up, but don't come over for dinner, or visit each others homes.

I am curious what families with kids do in the winter, and if there is a strong sense of community, and if so what that looks like? I don't have a lot of moves left in me, so want to find a place where I can settle in. I am looking for quality of life and ease, but am concerned there may be a critical mass of people missing in Eugene, or it would beging to feel like an island?

Any info most helpful. BTW, I am an older parent of a young boy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:24 PM

6 posts, read 8,928 times
PS--also an older SINGLE parent of a young boy. I have been warned it might be hard to find a boyfriend in Eugene, but Portland just feels too urban for where I am now.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:46 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,324,268 times
This is interesting. I am moving from Dallas to Central Oregon by the end of August, and have not settled on a city. My "territory" for work will include equal parts Bend and Eugene.

I was set on Bend, but I really prefer more rain/fog/overcast skies, and snow at Christmas. I know snow will depend more on elevation in the Bend area, but what about Eugene.

(Single male, no kids, low to mid 40's....)

Old 07-17-2012, 12:21 PM

1,337 posts, read 3,279,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
This is interesting. I am moving from Dallas to Central Oregon by the end of August, and have not settled on a city. My "territory" for work will include equal parts Bend and Eugene.

I was set on Bend, but I really prefer more rain/fog/overcast skies, and snow at Christmas. I know snow will depend more on elevation in the Bend area, but what about Eugene.

(Single male, no kids, low to mid 40's....)
It's is MUCH MUCH MUCH more likely Bend will have snow than Eugene no matter the time of year.

It is a rare occurance in the valley while in Bend it is a part of life, albeit small accumulation semi-often (depends what you're used to). To give you perspective, when it snows in Bend life is not altered much if at all. Everyone goes to work and it's a normal day. Also, the city hardly even plow the streets - people are just used to snow - while in Eugene I'm willing to bet it's totally opposite given the lack of regular snow. That said, I've never been in Eugene while its snowed. Mostly because I've never been there in the dead of winter... That and it hardly snows there at all.

Past the snow, if you prefer rain/overcast/fog go with Eugene, but be careful what you wish for....7-9 months of pretty consistent over cast is totally different ball game than enjoying the odd day or two a week of rain/fog/overcast.

Just be realistic - both are amazing places to live with high qualities of life.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:42 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,442,036 times
The other thing to remember is that you may need to deal with roads closed due to snow between Bend and Eugene.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:16 PM

231 posts, read 778,932 times
@Pfhtex: You can check out my city-data profile page to see a day by day weather log that a did a while back. This can give you some more qualitative feeling about the daily weather. I have also posted the weather log on my personal webpage in proper date order that is easier to read than the city-data profile page.

Re snow: Definitely not much snow in Eugene. But it was snowed here at least 10 days or so each winter for the last 4 years. As kapetrich pointed out, people in Eugene get a little freaked out by the snow. This past winter, we had some relatively heavy snow in March.

Aside from the snow issue, there are other HUGE differences you should also think about when choosing between Bend and Eugene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area