Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2014, 10:16 PM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
erasure...I have to say that I think that is a interesting point of view to mull over. I can see it. But you know I think you've given me to argue a position of seeing not a powerful Russia but frankly an increasingly very weak one. The world And it is that 'weakness' that is propelling and making Mr.Putin to make some rash and potentially unstable and dangerous decisions in context of the Ukraine affair.
"Weak" in sense of legal basis, rule of law, general prosperity of her citizens? Yes, in this respect Russia is very weak, and that's why at the same time she is dangerously strong, going in the "opposite direction" and becoming a lethal weapon for those who tried ( and still are trying) to overpower her. THIS Russia will not stop at anything to deliver a mortal blow to her adversaries, and that's why I've said earlier on numerous occasions that Putin's Russia is the most dangerous of them all - more dangerous than Brezhnev's or even Stalin's Russia.

Quote:
So I'm surmising that the fact is Russia cannot countenance either the loss of its former Empire but more importantly refuses to acknowledge that 'Western' ways, laws and political system, are arguably superior to what exists in the Russian infrastructure in those areas.
What such acknowledgment would do in your understanding, what resolution it would bring?
Quote:
Russia appears to be a poor man's Empire now. It is simply a caretaker and producer of core elements found in the earth. It doesn't 'make' anything technically for the world.
That's how the West wanted it, that's how the nineties were designed. Except for one thing; the West miscalculated that even "elements found in the Earth" can be used as political weapon, and that Russia ( deprived of her former strength) would still be able to use it.

Quote:
I'm afraid at this time and with that mind set she is a shell of what it is that she could become for her people. Unfortunately, I see a 'not invented here' syndrome rearing its head in the Russian economic and political environment. Her antipathy to the EUa nd Us 'ways' blinds her to the extent that she disavows what can make her better.
She "disavows" it, because the train is already gone, when many things could of have made her better on her own terms, and today's offers to "make her better" on Western terms doesn't interest her.

Quote:
That insecurity hurts the country and the world. It is evident it has gone to another level. We see it in the Ukraine affair.
As I've already mentioned, the "Ukrainian affair" is a very special one, it's nothing like loss of of other former colonies, because Ukraine is a birthplace of Russia.

Quote:
Her heated jealousy feeds the insecurity and makes the country a pariah on the world's stage.
That's not "jealousy," - I'd say it's much more of an anger against an enemy, a wolf in sheep's skin, the West that is, that pretended to be "friend" in most deceiving manner, and which now keeps on trying to continue its destructive activities. Sort of "it didn't quite work out when I've tried from this end, so I'll try now from another one."
This whole "Ukrainian affair" goes way beyond "Putin" and his antics - it became truly Russian national affair.

Quote:
And I thought I'd tell Ariete that Finland no doubt like Sweden, Switzerland, Latvia and Lithuiania is perhaps now at this very moment looking at their defense spending and materiel in light of 'maneuvers' recently made by Russia. Once again another reason for Russia to bring upon themselves a feeling of more persecution as a result of their ill-advised foray into another country.
This "persecution" is nothing new for Russia; remember she has been already "persecuted" back in the twenties of the last century, when she "dared" to question the values of the capitalist society and dared to not to comply with "leading powers."
The result? As history showed us, it was basically the only thing that saved her from complete annihilation by the West.
The way I see it - the more Russia is "complacent" with the West, the more it destroys her, because then she basically stops serving her purpose ( or foreordination if you will,) and becomes obsolete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 04:10 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,121,351 times
Unidentified militants that landed from a helicopter and attacked blockhouse in Soledar were armed with american weapon M-16.

Old 04-27-2014, 04:32 AM

Slavyansk on-line:
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/17862762
There is no terrorists. These people want to live without fascists in their country.

Last edited by Atai J.; 04-27-2014 at 04:50 AM..

Old 04-27-2014, 06:22 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Re: Officers Union..
Thank you virib for that...Sure curious if Russia's economic think-tank factored in this new equation on defense spending as they increased their 'travel' budget.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:55 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Quote:
THIS Russia will not stop at anything to deliver a mortal blow to her adversaries, and that's why I've said earlier on numerous occasions that Putin's Russia is the most dangerous of them all - more dangerous than Brezhnev's or even Stalin's Russia.
hmmm..if you say it I'll have to sit down and ponder that one.

[quote]
She "disavows" it, because the train is already gone, when many things could of have made her better on her own terms, and today's offers to "make her better" on Western terms doesn't interest her.

You know I think right there Russia is in sort of double-bind on that. In one way I think she silently acknowledges the plusses of Western culture yet does not know or want to take the best and integrate it with her culture. She looks to me as being 'lazy' when it comes to contributing to the betterment of the world. This reminds me of a child who pouts because it cannot get its way and loves to stick its tongue out. So, in that, Russia looks to me like an 'egotistic' country. She apparently is locked in a mind set appropriate for another century. She is in a world of her own concoction.

Quote:
The result? As history showed us, it was basically the only thing that saved her from complete annihilation by the West. The way I see it - the more Russia is "complacent" with the West, the more it destroys her, because then she basically stops serving her purpose ( or foreordination if you will,) and becomes obsolete.
I'll say this. Russia will never lose what she learned in World War II when Hitler looked east and set the dogs of war on her. Suffering massive casualties and undergoing great sacrifice, she destroyed the Nazi machine. That wll always be in the Russian dna. She knwos what it takes to defeat potential annhilation. However, today she appears to have lost quite a bit confidence after her dalliance with communism and the Stalin era. I think it has hurt bad. The psychological scars are there. But, in the end, it is the country itself that must take responsibility for what happens to her. It is her choice how it interacts with the world. At this point, I don't believe she is makng the right decisions. There are painful days ahead for her. We can only hope the West knows how to deal properly with her if as you say current day Russia is more dangerous than Stalin or the Brezhnev era.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:01 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,341,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Re: Officers Union..
Thank you virib for that...Sure curious if Russia's economic think-tank factored in this new equation on defense spending as they increased their 'travel' budget.
Whoops... I just noticed that the link was from January... I wanted to post a more recent link, though. Seems like about 2/3 of all officers asked a couple of days ago are in favour of joining NATO according to an article by diepresse.com.

Old 04-27-2014, 07:24 AM

Right Sector in action: Hang Russians

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cSE9knkkts

Old 04-27-2014, 07:30 AM

One of the ukrainian soldiers was executed by RS because he refused to shoot civilians.

Old 04-27-2014, 11:24 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Or do you think that the Chinese will die for cheap gas? This is ridiculous. (Not because the Chinese are cowardly, but because they are not stupid)
Yes. Gas is like gold. And the chinese still regards parts of russian territory as stolen property. They don't forget and they plan for a thousand years.

Old 04-28-2014, 08:33 AM

10,060 posts, read 12,800,899 times
Too much information, not enough truth.

This article seems to sum up the situation rather well.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/op...f=opinion&_r=0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe