Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2014, 03:41 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,439 times

Advertisements

I doubt so, they asked several times and got the answer "no". Their independence isn't even recognized officially by our goverment, and I think won't be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2014, 03:46 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
@ muscovite : I believe it's a mistake. Anyway, it doesn't make a big difference actually , since Transdniestria right now is -like Abkhazia and South Ossetia -a de facto Russian republic, protected by 1.500 Russian troops, and where most citizens have Russian passports.

Old 04-09-2014, 03:47 AM

847 posts, read 1,179,439 times
Quote:
and where most citizens have Russian passports.
They have 2 or 3 passports and it's a big bonus for them

Old 04-09-2014, 04:17 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
...of course. Anyway, it's enough to look at a 2014 World Map to acknowledge that this kind of statu quo situation is widespread : look at the Middle East , at Africa (Western Sahara, Somalia), the de facto ceasefirelines in Cyprus, in Kashmere, Kosovo (northern Kosovo is de facto Serb)etc. De-colonization and the end of the Cold War had as consequence a general political atomization of the planet. And doesn't seem to end, since many independence referendums are planned in Europe (Scotland, Catalonia...)and elsewhere amidst diverse claims and counter claims of border delimitations (the Spanish presidios vs Morocco on the northern coast of Africa for instance, or Gibraltar/Spain, the japanese Senkaku islands claimed by China, etc.). Our world is boiling over, and it won't get better with a world population increasing at the rate of 80 million per year.

Old 04-09-2014, 07:06 AM

1 posts, read 778 times
Default New Ukraine regime is financial black hole.

Those "tough guys" who made their way to Kiev throne through violence on Maidan are not viable I suspect. They are only able to pump money from European governments and EU structures, I guess! This is going to be a grandiose black hole, that damned Ukraine! Dig into it just. There's been a zero GDP rise in Ukraine in the last 20 years. The country is dirt poor! The cost of its reanimation will be enormous, I bet you! Why should we have this terrible headache? All the more, those guys in Kiev look really not quite OK, Something is really wrong upstairs with them, I bet you! Just ldig into this rubbish they pronounce!

Old 04-09-2014, 11:38 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
Fun fact: Ukraine would have been the world's third largest nuclear power, if they wouldn't have signed the Memorandum.
Ukraine would have never had the money to keep those things operational, probably not even one of them, if not the actual nuke with delivery device, than the command and control infrastructure.

Ukraine also had 30% or so of the Soviet Army, and look what happened to that, rotted away. Not that is a fault or anything, but these things just take a large amount of resources to maintain.

Old 04-09-2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rain N' Hail View Post

Yeah..these guys aren't from the area... Definetly Russian provocation, typical....
If anything, shows either a six year old, or a non-native speaker...

Old 04-09-2014, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Actually I think the Germans have been a good example for everyone since after WW2. They have apologized repeatedly for the Nazi atrocities, spent much of their national effort on improving the lives and welfare of their people and are trying to improve the environment.

World War 2 was a horror but it did lead to the European Union and the NATO alliance. Since WW2, all the old European Great Powers; France, Great Britain, Germany, Italy, and Spain etc are now united. For hundreds and even thousands of years these countries have been at each others throats but today - never has Western and Central Europe been so peaceful.
I stated many weeks ago on this thread I think the Germans are a great example of soft power, and Germany has become more of a global influence through soft power than with any military they ever had. Russia could learn from the Germans in this regard (among other things).

Last edited by boxus; 04-09-2014 at 11:55 AM..

Old 04-09-2014, 11:51 AM

26,773 posts, read 22,521,872 times
Quote:

Yeah..these guys aren't from the area... Definetly Russian provocation, typical....
Any semi-illiterate person could write that, Ukrainian and Russian speaker alike. "Donbass" and "Dombass" sounds practically identical. You just have no knowledge of those things, obviously.

Last edited by erasure; 04-09-2014 at 12:52 PM..

Old 04-09-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
We'll see whether the majority of the population of ethnic Ukrainians wants to look towards the EU and US, or back towards an annexing power that just forcibly annexed part of the country and organized a mock referendum, committed a massive genocide, the Holodomor, on the population from 1932-1933, and clearly renegged on its 1993 agreements to not claim the Crimean peninsula in exchange for keeping its Black Sea fleet there.
A mock referendum os better than no referendum, which is what the new Ukraine gov has not even done yet. As far as the genocide/Holodomor statements; that was the Soviets under Stalin, so perhaps blame Georgia? And there were more than a few Ukrainians who were full participants in the Soviet regime, do not sit there and act like Ukraine was some innocent bystander in the Soviet regime, they were not. Millions of Russians and about every other ethnic group suffered at the hands of the Soviet regime.

Quote:
Those were his words, even he regrets it, as Ukraine is never getting Crimea back. Ironically, that illegal annexation might have just reversed centuries of Russian domination and influence, we'll see the level of (justified) bitterness in the free and fair (not in the CIS terms, but rather international norms) elections in May...unless Russia invades the rest of Ukraine which seems likely.
No kidding he regrest it, along with many other things he did since he got caught. And maybe Ukraine might get Crimea back, it is interesting to see what the end game is going to be. As I stated before, it did not seem Ukraine was all that internested in retaining Crimea, I have seen people put up more of a fight over a six pack of cheap beer.

There were free and fair elections...some groups obviously do not like free and fair elections, thus they overthrew the free and fair elected president instead of voting him out. Then the new gov goes on to ban many people from running for office; how is that free and fair?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe