Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 02:05 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,806,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
If you feel closer to Russia, why don't you move there? You're forcing your Oblast to switch to Russia without asking anybody else than your pals.

My city is foreign to people from Lapland, but the people there aren't making cries for a referendum to split and join Norway, for example.

live action: Kharkov antimaidan on USTREAM:
Stop being obtuse to the situation and you would know why; people were there long before Ukraine was a country, this is simply an extension of the USSR breaking apart, in which the break up was along lines drawn by people like Stalin; no real reason for them, no different than colonial powers that drew lines in Africa and the ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
But why now? Why not in 1991? Or 1996, 1999, 2004, 2010, 2012? Why today?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Honestly, if the referendum is done the same way as in Crimea, I don't think it makes much of an difference.
You rather there be a violent way as was done in Kiev? Why did not those in Kiev wait for the 2015 election?

Old 04-07-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
After two revolts, a country near near bankruptcy, and a declining quality of life; people are probably sick of being a part of it. As I stated before, a few of my close relatives live in Ukraine, I have seen their quality of lfie decline since they moved their in the 90's, decline even more since the Orange Revolt.

Ukraine has not progressed at all compared to Russia. Blame numerous factors, but on the individual level, they have not progressed and many people are rather sick of it, better to tag along with a more successful state if they can; Ukraine is all in all, a failed state.

The new gov sure as heck has not done anything to promote unity, they have basically ostracized a good portion of their population, and this is not along ethnic lines at all, but along political lines though the new gov and media are trying to play it out like it is an ethnic issue (remember, Yanukovoch won a fair election, which would have been impossible if the vote was along ethnic lines).

Old 04-07-2014, 03:51 PM

102 posts, read 106,103 times
An hour ago, police units who were brought from the neighboring region in Kharkiv has used stun grenades against protesters. Violence will continue in other cities. I think people will invite Putin for help.

Old 04-07-2014, 04:00 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,458,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Blame numerous factors
There's really only one: oil. Russia has it; Ukraine doesn't.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:43 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
There's really only one: oil. Russia has it; Ukraine doesn't.
Wrong. What makes big difference here, is that Ukraine hasn't been independent self-sufficient country to begin with. Russia was and still is. This factor comes primarily, oil factor comes secondary.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,322 times
Quote:
Because military unconstitutional coup staged today.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 PM

43 posts, read 65,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1992 View Post
It's my choice. And it's the choice of people of my city. The Kiev government and its supporters are foreign to the us. People of Russia is closer than the people in West of Ukraine.

I write primarily about cultural values. Material benefit and things like that, it is important but I don't need it now.
People like you really disturb me.... Russia just committed the first annexation in Europe since World War II and if memory serves the first in the world since Iraq invaded Kuwait in 1991, in the name of "protecting" a minority in a country where it has dominated the majority for hundreds of years. All this "protection" is doing is encouraging Baltic governments to consider kicking out Russians so Russia doesn't "allow self-determination", because apparently self-determination only matters if the people involved are Russian, not Chechen or various other minorities in Russia. You were born on the wrong side of an international boundary like the Germans/Austrians in South Tryol, Italy or the Somalis in Kenya. There is nothing unique about your situation at all and hopefully Putin won't risk total nuclear annihilation over the annexation of Eastern Ukraine or "a decentralized state like Bosnia and Herzegovina", which is really rich coming from Russia...one of the most centralized nations on the planet. All they want that for is chipping Ukrainian control. Ukraine has already lost territory, they will fight for the rest of it, which other than Crimea is MINORITY RUSSIAN.

How do those Ukrainian peoples not have the right to self-determination but you do?!

Move to Russia or give up. By the way, unconstitutional coups sometimes happen when orders are given to shoot protesters in European countries...it happened in Eastern Europe in 1989-1990 too but the leader of Russia wasn't KGB scum and could not or would not hold power by force nor let dictators in its satellites.

Last edited by Rain N' Hail; 04-07-2014 at 10:54 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 10:40 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,795,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
Because military unconstitutional coup staged today.
What? Where? How? By whom?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe