Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2019, 12:05 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,853,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

And so the good question is - if Poroshenko was in charge of corruption that Ukraine was unsuccessfully fighting for the last five years, then why with the criminal cases filed in court against him, he is elected as a head of some new "European Solidarity" party that's heading back to parliament, inquiring minds want to know.
Many people there are of the opinion that his reforms and anti corruption efforts were in between unsuccessful and successful. Its a subjective area, as corruption and its various offshoots affects and is visible to people differently depending on their personal experiences. One can both point to successes and failures of his anti corruption. Its measurably less bad than it was under his predecessor, but was it enough? The answer from the population was pretty clear in the election.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post

We already saw what happened during the last elections though, in spite of all the talk on "great progress" that Ukraine supposedly was making on her way of "joining the EU." And what it was, behind all the headlines glitter - the sharply declining living standards for the overwhelming majority of Ukrainians, the fleeing population and so on.

So it's still far more interesting to see what's going on in REAL life in Ukraine as I've already said, not the "make-believe" stories that the Western media ( and you) are feeding us.
Like I was saying above, measurable progress towards the EU occurred, but was it enough (and was it in his control)? I would agree with the majority of the population that it was not enough and he should have done more. Its like he didn't even understand what integration into Europe meant. I don't think anyone his age or older over there really gets it... how much rule of law transforms living standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 12:59 PM
DKM

Ukraine's foreign exports for Q1 2019 grew by $800 million (USD) to 12.3 billion.

Exports to Russia declined to 760 million.

Exports to the EU increased to 5.25 billion.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:54 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,674 times
5 years of bombing of Lugansk

In its landmark event. Although it was not the bloodiest of the war crimes of the APU in the period, but the loss of life in the center of Lugansk and scary footage of a dying woman, it is logical complements Odessa and Mariupol, showing that the fascist junta in Kiev will easily kill civilians and will not stop even before the airstrikes at the centre of the former Ukrainian regional center.

https://youtu.be/Qc4JHuIjuKU

(C) Taken from the Internet

Old 06-03-2019, 02:14 PM
DKM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
5 years of bombing of Lugansk

In its landmark event. Although it was not the bloodiest of the war crimes of the APU in the period, but the loss of life in the center of Lugansk and scary footage of a dying woman, it is logical complements Odessa and Mariupol, showing that the fascist junta in Kiev will easily kill civilians and will not stop even before the airstrikes at the centre of the former Ukrainian regional center.
The bombing of the Russian militant headquarters was not a war crime since the base was directing an attack on a nearby Ukrainian Border Guard base that morning. Command and control is a legitimate target. The pilot was sloppy on the targeting though. The border guards held out for a day, taking down some Russian terrorists with them then finally destroyed their equipment and turned themselves over to the Russian forces (later were part of a prisoner exchange).

Old 06-04-2019, 01:15 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Ukraine's foreign exports for Q1 2019 grew by $800 million (USD) to 12.3 billion.

Exports to Russia declined to 760 million.

Exports to the EU increased to 5.25 billion.

Yeah, I know.
That's more bad news for Ukrainians, judging by the type of export products that are accepted by EU from Ukraine ( even if to forget for a second the economic sanctions that Russia imposed on Ukraine.)

I watched this video another day, where Ukrainian newsmen are drilling Dmitriy Marunich (he is a co-chairman of the Ukrainian Energy Strategy Fund,) on a number of questions, the trade with EU including.

Of course the first question they ask him over and over again, is when the Ukrainian public can expect the relief from the high energy prices, since more and more people are falling behind of payments and are getting in debt ( now that the new government has been voted in, that's the first hope of general population.)
So they keep on drilling Marunich in their cosmic language, when it's going to happen, and Marunich in plain Russian, with the help of his ten fingers is trying to explain to them why it's unlikely to happen. What he is trying to explain to them, is that with all the loans Ukraine took from international organizations, Ukrainian government is not free any longer to control the price.
The cosmic people are trying to remain optimistic, and point at the "expanding trade with European Union," and again the stern Russian speakers in the know ( from the governmental level including) explain to them with the help of their ten fingers what this trade is all about, how it works, and why it brings only more and more economic misery to Ukraine.
Of course Marunich is pointing at the "EU association agreement" as the culprit for it all, and since no one was reading the fine print in it, whether this agreement can be re-negotiated or not, is a big question.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsiJKET2uHY&t=617s

Ukraine

( Number 2 fastest growing export (24%) - wood - is particularly troublesome I think, because the Carpathian region of Ukraine is becoming barren fast - there are a lot of alarming signals coming from that area.)

Last edited by erasure; 06-04-2019 at 01:29 PM..

Old 06-04-2019, 02:41 PM
DKM

It's been 4 years today since the Ukrainian army fully recaptured Marinka from Russian led militia who took it the day before. It was one of the last major battles fought post Minsk 2 agreements. 35 Russians and separatists were killed in that week's fighting and no battle that big has occurred in Ukraine since.

Old 06-05-2019, 04:45 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
Russiagate and Russiahack have blown up. Now Malaysia's government voiced its skepticism about Russian responsibility for the airliner downed in Ukraine in 2014.

link

Old 06-05-2019, 07:47 PM
DKM

The Malaysian Airlines flight was shot down by a BUK missile system from the 53rd Anti-aircraft Brigade of the Russian Armed Forces, fired from a field in Ukraine that was under the control of Russian led separatists at the time. We know Russia provided the missile, but nobody knows if it was their under control officers that fired it ( I doubt it).

So I agree in a way with the Malaysian Prime Minister too because I doubt Russia would have fired the missile so recklessly. Surely their culpability lies in providing it in the 1st place.

Old 06-09-2019, 02:02 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,435,844 times
The missile that hit MH-17 was issued to the Ukrainian army back in the 1980s. They went by the serial numbers.

I know an arsenal in Mariupol was looted by the seps in April or May during the skirmishes. There's plenty of footage of the seps with all kinds of equipment including trucks and a few APCs, not just AKs and RPGs. They even got a Strela 10 from somewhere.

I also know there was a large arsenal in Donetsk. Just what was in those arsenals when it comes to equipment I don't know. The arsenal I know of in Smolensk (SSE of the big church) has trucks visible from the air but I have been down the street and have seen bridging equipment and what appeared to be missile carriers in the trees and even 2 Shilkas. The fence is a brick base with brick columns about 10ft apart and wrought iron in between.

https://earth.google.com/web/@54.784...HBzMm0YASABKAI

It's an engineer unit with attached air defenses.

Donetsk had an airport. It only makes sense that there is going to be air defense in that area and kept in storage when not needed. Don't try to tell me that launcher came from Russia. The seps got a system and manged to get one of the tels working. I heard it was from Mariupol which they evacuated early after heavy fighting. They took the tel and hid it somewhere and brought it out when they needed it. It may have well been hidden close to the Russian border. Look at the terrain there, broken and with small gullies everywhere. Perfect for hiding stuff.

Old 06-11-2019, 02:28 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,803,961 times
What is the future of Ukraine in terms of population growth, when the birthrate is below replacement level and many young adults have moved elsewhere? Also, what foreign language is more popular to learn - English or Russian?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe