Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2014, 02:09 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I do not believe that in Donetsk and Lugansk have the ability to hack bank cards. But I'm not surprised that the Western media is write. They have long been written that a missile launched by Putin. Now they will be writing much more stupid.
They can sell the cards to other parties, or just try to use it on sites that do not request info like address. They possibly can get to a large city and purchase some goods as well, or have connections with a business owner to "purchase" as many items as possible before the card is cancelled.

Just numerous ways a person can sue these things, and a person does not have to be a hacker or anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Yes, but given the resonance of the events, can be no doubt, that the special people keep track of the transaction, shop, delivery address and the person who ordered. Only an idiot would use cards with this plane.
It is actually a computer that does this, and the algorithm may or may not set off a fraud alert which would temporarily freeze the card's use.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:05 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,891,510 times
Quote:
You can prove these words?

Especially funny with credit cards. What will they do with it? Kindle fire?
And why did you decide that the locals are poor? Yet it is not Somalia.

And one more question. Why, when I write news from Russian sites, you say that this is Russian propoganda. But the whole world believed in Ukrainian propaganda (audio recording of conversations on YouTube). People believe in what they want to hear.

Yes, I can prove them. I know many adoptive families and individuals who've visited the Torez Institution and have stayed in the village and written and posted pictures of their experiences.

Believe me, Torez is poor. Very poor, very rural, and very isolated.

Take a look online - there are many blogs and websites of these families, plus websites of various NGOs who helped the severely neglected kids at Torez survive, and all of them have photographs, many of them showing the village as well as the mental institution/orphanage.

There are multiple and current news accounts of theft of credit cards, money, and other items belonging to the dead from the shot-down plane. Credit cards can be used by those who are not their owners - haven't you ever heard of credit card theft? I experienced it first-hand last year, when someone over a thousand miles away from me used my stolen credit card number (until I found out and put an end to it and replaced my card). Having the cards in hand just makes it easier to use them. Thankfully, Dutch banks have been alerted to these thefts and are on the lookout for anyone attempting to make charges from Ukraine or Russia on Dutch credit cards.

Such blatant greed and disrespect for the dead is beyond contempt.

As for propaganda, since I have relatives who are Ukrainian by birth and who formerly lived in Donetsk oblast, of course I follow the news closely, from all kinds of news media. I watched RT this week, and presently am watching television, listening to the radio, reading newspapers, and reading online news sources from all over, east and west, and weighing these accounts against what I already know about Ukraine. While there are some inaccuracies from almost all news sources, the vast majority of propaganda is coming from the Kremlin and their buddies who are occupying parts of Eastern Ukraine at present.

The Western sources tend to clarify, correct and apologize for their errors - the Russian media deny and attempt to cover up theirs by posting yet more distortions and often outright lies. They not only dissemble, but they are masters at attempting to divert argument by citing long-past "sins" of other nationalities, while avoiding civil discussion of current events in Ukraine, as if other countries' past wrong-doings somehow make Russia's current activities acceptable.

They also have recruited vast numbers of people to post comments, often written in very poor English, using highly unlikely pseudonyms ("Pablo McDonald"???), to support their "cause" and to attack others, while attempting to impersonate Americans and other Westerners.

Yes, I can prove what I wrote previously. I just did. Now, go hunt up "torez" online - not just the current coverage of the plane crash, but coverage of the Torez Mental Institution/Orphanage. You'll find and learn a lot, most of which is very distressing, and if you look at many of the blogs of adoptive families, you'll find information about the village of Torez as well as the institution.

Thank God most of the children have been removed from that place...

Old 07-19-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
According to this: What should happen at the MH17 crash site in Ukraine? - CNN.com

The crash site is secure.

And E. Ukraine is among the richest areas of Ukraine, and the number one economic area of Ukraine, it is west Ukraine that is poor.

You've just made it crystal clear that your comprehension of written English is insufficient to tell the difference between what SHOULD happen in such cases - and what actually IS occurring in this particular case.

Yes, Eastern Ukraine is agriculturally and industrially wealthy, compared with the rest of Ukraine - but Torez is an extremely poor, extremely rural, and extremely isolated small agricultural village. I know people who've actually spent time there - do you?

If eastern Ukraine is so well-off, why does it include the majority of orphanages and orphans in Ukraine, most of whose parents have sadly placed their children in such places because they cannot afford to feed and care for them, especially those children who have special needs?

Much of the "wealth" of Eastern Ukraine comes from mining coal and various minerals, along with heavy industry developed to take advantage of these natural resources.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The entire article is based off of one report from a photo journalist.

Not saying it is not true, but come on, hardly a reliable source of info. Exactly how much access was this journalist given to discover small items like cell phones were missing among the millions of pieces of debris over a 9 square mile area?
There are numerous reports, not just coming from one photo journalist, of cell phones, etc being noticeably absent from personal effects found at the crash site. Such personal effects tended to fall together, as they were originally in ladies' purses or men's pockets - wallets, credit cards, passports, cell phones, etc. Empty wallets were also seen, along with less valuable effects - combs, make-up, small notepads, and so on, which were originally kept in purses or pockets or small tote bags. Few cell phones were spotted.

Of course, this whole controversy could have been readily avoided, had the area been properly secured from the start.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:39 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Yes, I can prove them. I know many adoptive families and individuals who've visited the Torez Institution and have stayed in the village and written and posted pictures of their experiences.

Take a look online - there are many blogs and websites of these families, plus websites of various NGOs who helped the severely neglected kids at Torez survive, and all of them have photographs, many of them showing the village as well as the mental institution/orphanage.

There are multiple and current news accounts of theft of credit cards, money, and other items belonging to the dead from the shot-down plane. Credit cards can be used by those who are not their owners - haven't you ever heard of credit card theft? I experienced it first-hand last year, when someone over a thousand miles away from me used my stolen credit card number (until I found out and put an end to it and replaced my card). Having the cards in hand just makes it easier to use them. Thankfully, Dutch banks have been alerted to these thefts and are on the lookout for anyone attempting to make charges from Ukraine or Russia on Dutch credit cards.
Ok, I'm sorry. Maybe I got excited with a refutation of theft. Let's wait for more information from the crash site.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:44 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
Quote:
The Western sources tend to clarify, correct and apologize for their errors - the Russian media deny and attempt to cover up theirs by posting yet more distortions and often outright lies.
This is done not only Russian, but also Ukrainian media. And the Western media is very strange told about the accident aircraft. Without waiting the results of the commissions, they accused the Russian, using as evidence Ukrainian audio recording.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:08 PM

Quote:
You've just made it crystal clear that your comprehension of written English is insufficient to tell the difference between what SHOULD happen in such cases - and what actually IS occurring in this particular case.

Yes, Eastern Ukraine is agriculturally and industrially wealthy, compared with the rest of Ukraine - but Torez is an extremely poor, extremely rural, and extremely isolated small agricultural village. I know people who've actually spent time there - do you?

If eastern Ukraine is so well-off, why does it include the majority of orphanages and orphans in Ukraine, most of whose parents have sadly placed their children in such places because they cannot afford to feed and care for them, especially those children who have special needs?

Much of the "wealth" of Eastern Ukraine comes from mining coal and various minerals, along with heavy industry developed to take advantage of these natural resources.
My English comprehension is perfectly fine, the article clearly states what is happening, if to even believe the article, but everyone seems to only want to pick and choose what to believe due to how poor journalism is now days.

Torez is not "extremely rural" at all (there is not even an extremely rural area in all of east Ukraine) (there is not even an extr, it is a few miles outside Donetsk. Yes, I am very familiar with the area, more so than you are obviously as you only "know" people who have been there while I have "been and lived" in the area. Torez is poor in the sense areas of Detroit or DC is poor; hardly a reflection of the general wealth of the area. Any disaster is going to bring out the parasites trying to steal or scam something out of it, no matter where at in the world.

What do orphanages have to do with the economy of the area? I walk two streets over from the US capital and see numerous homeless people, along with DC area having a relatively high crime rate; none of that has to do with the wealth of the area. Fact is, wealthier regions tend to attract numerous people, including the low skilled types who are trying to make a buck. There is hardly a wealthy area in the world that does not have existing with it a poor class. The Donbass area is the number one economic area of Ukraine, followed by Dnepropetrovsk. The rest of Ukraine, especially west Ukraine, is relatively poor (and this is actually the heart of the entire issue).

More orphanages are there because there is more money there to operate the facilities; why would you think they would put them in regions with no money? Donbass area is also the most populated dense area of Ukraine, so you are going to have more of everything there.

And yes, the wealth comes from heavy industry and resources, is wealth not allowed to come from that or something? Many countries derive their wealth from heavy industry and resources.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:11 PM

Quote:
There are numerous reports, not just coming from one photo journalist, of cell phones, etc being noticeably absent from personal effects found at the crash site. Such personal effects tended to fall together, as they were originally in ladies' purses or men's pockets - wallets, credit cards, passports, cell phones, etc. Empty wallets were also seen, along with less valuable effects - combs, make-up, small notepads, and so on, which were originally kept in purses or pockets or small tote bags. Few cell phones were spotted.

Of course, this whole controversy could have been readily avoided, had the area been properly secured from the start.
Or if everyone waited for the 2015 elections and voted in a new president, or removed the former one by constitutional means, or closed the air space, or Petro extended on olive branch instead of taking the Machiavellian approach, or if the rebels were better trained to properly ID the plane, or if Kiev had not switched to high altitude approaches, etc.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
The town is neither very poor nor very isolated, you act like it is some mountain village in Nepal or something. The place has all the normal modern conveniences we in the West have; grocery stores, internet, water, sewer, entertainment, shopping, etc. It has more than a few companies there, and it is not even close to being isolated, it is along a main road in which it is a simple half hour or more (depends where you are going) trip to the main city. The route is also a major transit route for goods flowing to/from Russia by truck.

As I mentioned in my post above; the Donbass area is a densely populated area, there is not a single remote and very rural area in the whole place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe