Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2020, 01:30 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,409,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
How he could blackmail Moscow?
With what?
Blackmailing by saying he will just move Belarus towards the West/EU more if Russia does not give what he wants.

He knows the West will allow him to stay in power, even support him to be in power, if he aligns with them, Russia however, there is no guarantee, Putin might get tired of his antics...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2020, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Mhm. Sounds like someone else we all know...

And Putin gives all these "discounts" for free, without demanding anything in return?

Yeah right.
What an altruistic guy.
Yes, Lukashenko is fighting for his independence - his independence from Putin including, who wants to take over Belorussia completely.
No one gives anything for free without expecting something in return.

Independence from Putin? Well, how about doing it then, quit leeching off of Russia, oh yea, that is right, Belarus would collapse if not for Russia, and Lukashenko would face either being hung, or fleeing to Russia where he either would be hung or imprisoned.

As I mentioned, he could move Belarus to the West, but that is a risk, the system could collapse during that transition, or Putin could just put a target on his head.

I also doubt Putin is just going to let Belarus go like that...

Old 08-12-2020, 04:55 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Maybe Belarus want to join nato and the eu, in fact if a country in the world is retarded enough to want this in 2020 they deserve their own misery.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:34 AM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
No one gives anything for free without expecting something in return.

Independence from Putin? Well, how about doing it then, quit leeching off of Russia, oh yea, that is right, Belarus would collapse if not for Russia, and Lukashenko would face either being hung, or fleeing to Russia where he either would be hung or imprisoned.

As I mentioned, he could move Belarus to the West, but that is a risk, the system could collapse during that transition, or Putin could just put a target on his head.

I also doubt Putin is just going to let Belarus go like that...

I see a lot of problems with your *philosophy.*
In fact - A LOT.

Putin ( and Russians supporting him) need to figure out, what Belorussians ( and while we are at that - Ukrainians) are to them?
Are they *brothers* as they claim, or some foreign element?

If they are *brothers* - i.e. an inseparable part of Russians, then they should be TREATED AS SUCH.

And that means, they should share the riches of Siberia, which would lift them out of poverty.

It's as much THEIR inheritance as of the "Russia proper."
This, of course, would leave less for Russian oligarchy to buy villas and yachts elsewhere, but everything comes for a price, as you've mentioned.
And this price of sharing the resources with Ukraine and Belorussia is keeping NATO ( and Americans) at bay.

But if Belorussians ( and Ukrainians) are foreigners, then Putin "not letting Belarus go like that" - what does it make him but a thug?

Old 08-12-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I see a lot of problems with your *philosophy.*
In fact - A LOT.

Putin ( and Russians supporting him) need to figure out, what Belorussians ( and while we are at that - Ukrainians) are to them?

If they are *brothers* - i.e. an inseparable part of Russians, then they should be TREATED AS SUCH.

And that means, they should share the riches of Siberia, which would lift them out of poverty.

It's as much THEIR inheritance as of the "Russia proper."
This, of course, would leave less for Russian oligarchy to buy villas and yachts elsewhere, but everything comes for a price, as you've mentioned.
And this price of sharing the resources with Ukraine and Belorussia is keeping NATO ( and Americans) at bay.

But if Belorussians ( and Ukrainians) are foreigners, then Putin "not letting Belarus go like that" - what does it make him but a thug?
Russia does share, where you think those subsidies come from? Belarus would be the level of some impoverished African country if not for Russian subsidies, i.e., sharing the wealth. Same with Ukraine. They are already poor as it is. The only reason Lukashenko is still is in power is because of Russia, if not for Russia, he would have been ousted years ago, for better or worse. He needs to remember who his benefactor is.

At that, I am all for countries to do what they want, if Belarus wants to head towards the EU, that is their right to. However, Russia will respond, and should be expected to, the same way the US does when a country starts going a direction it does not desire.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:34 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,228,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Going further forward it gets a lot darker. Outright conflict is not on the table yet but I certainly know there is a drawer under that table.
I think the likelihood of a civil war is very high. When I watch video, I see hate by the cops. I think this is not a job for money, they really believe that they are right, that they are protecting integrity and stability of Belarus. I will be very surprised if this stops.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:38 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,017,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
if Belarus wants to head towards the EU....

Basically if a country of 9 million people (here Belarus) is retarded. Today there were anti-eu protests in Bulgaria in front of the German embassy and this is the largest protest since 1997 + it happens 13 years since the country joined the eu...pretty sure Belarus aren't dumb to want to be another bulgaria.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:48 PM

Quote:
I mean you can hear it all by yourself.
Yes, I have been following NEXTA live channel for several days. This is a very propaganda thing. I am glad that Alexander Kots is currently working in Belarus, he is a professional military correspondent and I hope that he will be able to provide more objective information.

Quote:
As for Lukashenko - he was not cornered only by the West.
He was cornered by Kremlin as well.
Yes, Lukashenko tried to outplay everyone, but was left without allies.

Quote:
So we'll see what will come out of it all.
I'm afraid that nothing good will come out of it.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:53 PM

Quote:
I think that Belarusians should also define who Russians are for them. I don't think they want to embrace Putin and Russians.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:24 PM

26,777 posts, read 22,529,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think that Belarusians should also define who Russians are for them. I don't think they want to embrace Putin and Russians.

Lukashenko definitely doesn't want to "embrace Putin."
That much is clear, and you can hear WHY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTIv_HgNLyM

As for "embracing Russians" - it's not one and the same thing as "embracing Putin," you know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe