Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 11:28 PM

1,348 posts, read 624,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
I think you're right about the friend part of it. Lukashenko has his own goals though and that's keeping Belarus independent. I don't think Lukashenko sees the situation correctly. I think maybe Lukashenko is letting his ego get in the way also.
Wrongly. Lukashenko's goal is to maintain power at all costs and rule forever, as well as control the cash flows flowing into the country. In almost all key positions, either or a son,or a friend,or a matchmaker, or a brother. So far, Lukashenko is trading independence with Russia quite well - Russia has invested about $ 300 billion in the Belarusian economy through discounts, various preferences and loans. It was really good. If Poland or America offers more and promises to keep him in power, he will not hesitate to turn his back on Russia and be friends with those who offer more. And all this talk about independence and sovereignty is for village simpletons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 11:35 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,526,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimogor View Post
Wrongly. Lukashenko's goal is to maintain power at all costs and rule forever,
Mhm. Sounds like someone else we all know...

Quote:
as well as control the cash flows flowing into the country. In almost all key positions, either or a son,or a friend,or a matchmaker, or a brother. So far, Lukashenko is trading independence with Russia quite well - Russia has invested about $ 300 billion in the Belarusian economy through discounts, various preferences and loans. It was really good. If Poland or America offers more and promises to keep him in power, he will not hesitate to turn his back on Russia and be friends with those who offer more. And all this talk about independence and sovereignty is for village simpletons.
And Putin gives all these "discounts" for free, without demanding anything in return?

Yeah right.
What an altruistic guy.
Yes, Lukashenko is fighting for his independence - his independence from Putin including, who wants to take over Belorussia completely.

Last edited by erasure; 08-11-2020 at 11:48 PM..

Old 08-11-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Yes, and her kids, him and her campaign staff families were all threatened if she did not film this "concession" video and flee.

She wasn't. That is why she wanted a free election should she have "won". A redo without the major players in prison.

She was in a government building in Minsk when that was filmed.

Belorussia is in danger of being sold out to foreign interests.
She needed to stay out of it all to begin with, since these are dangerous games - serving foreign interests.

Quote:
Their salaries and pensions are nearly the same actually. Some better than others on both sides but the differences are small.
Their energy bills are different, food prices are different, and so is the health care.
In Ukraine it's destroyed, while in Belorussia it's not.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:58 PM

2,216 posts, read 1,020,674 times
Quote:
Wrongly. Lukashenko's goal is to maintain power at all costs and rule forever, as well as control the cash flows flowing into the country. In almost all key positions, either or a son,or a friend,or a matchmaker, or a brother. So far, Lukashenko is trading independence with Russia quite well - Russia has invested about $ 300 billion in the Belarusian economy through discounts, various preferences and loans. It was really good. If Poland or America offers more and promises to keep him in power, he will not hesitate to turn his back on Russia and be friends with those who offer more. And all this talk about independence and sovereignty is for village simpletons.
I would not be so categorical. There is a powerful attack on Belarus and, of course, on Lukashenko.Did you notice how it became instantly objectionable to everyone in the information space? What the right does not like what the left, or if you want, what is white what is black or red))). It doesn't matter Who was left out. It is very interesting to see how everyone joined in the persecution, that the opposition and traitors, that people who portray themselves as correct patriots, although in fact they work for the first.Something like that.

Old 08-12-2020, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Mhm. Sounds like someone else we all know...

And Putin gives all these "discounts" for free, without demanding anything in return?

Yeah right.
What an altruistic guy.
Yes, Lukashenko is fighting for his independence - his independence from Putin including, who wants to take over Belorussia completely.
Naturally, Putin wanted deeper integration of Russia and Belarus, with the subsequent leadership of this Union. But Lukashenko is also not a fool and he wanted to see himself at the head of this Union. Under Yeltsin, he maked confident steps towards unification, because he looked more presentable against the background of the alcoholic Yeltsin and already saw himself as The President of the Union. But Putin came and his chances began to disappear. And then he began to wriggle and to play the game of "independence and sovereignty", sometimes openly blackmailing Moscow, which still hoped to unite the two countries and it had to make concessions and feed the economy of Belarus.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turist View Post
I would not be so categorical. There is a powerful attack on Belarus and, of course, on Lukashenko.Did you notice how it became instantly objectionable to everyone in the information space? What the right does not like what the left, or if you want, what is white what is black or red))). It doesn't matter Who was left out. It is very interesting to see how everyone joined in the persecution, that the opposition and traitors, that people who portray themselves as correct patriots, although in fact they work for the first.Something like that.
You know, I was in Belarus a couple of years ago. I saw with my own eyes how they live there, and I talked to Belarusians and they told me a lot of things. Lukashenko "milk" to belarusians as milking cows and squeezes out of them the last penny. And very many there are not happy with it. And he hold only due to the fact that the Russian market is open for goods from Belarus. If Russia suddenly restricts its markets for Belarus, it will not be very sweet. Although their products are really very good quality.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Naturally, Putin wanted deeper integration of Russia and Belarus, with the subsequent leadership of this Union. But Lukashenko is also not a fool and he wanted to see himself at the head of this Union. Under Yeltsin, he maked confident steps towards unification, because he looked more presentable against the background of the alcoholic Yeltsin and already saw himself as The President of the Union. But Putin came and his chances began to disappear. And then he began to wriggle and to play the game of "independence and sovereignty", sometimes openly blackmailing Moscow, which still hoped to unite the two countries and it had to make concessions and feed the economy of Belarus.

How he could blackmail Moscow?
With what?

Old 08-12-2020, 01:07 AM

Quote:
How he could blackmail Moscow?
With what?
Well, its main trump card is oil pipelines. In any controversial situation, he constantly promises to raise tariffs for pumping Russian oil, or even completely block them.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:08 AM

Quote:
You know, I was in Belarus a couple of years ago. I saw with my own eyes how they live there, and I talked to Belarusians and they told me a lot of things. Lukashenko "milk" to belarusians as milking cows and squeezes out of them the last penny. And very many there are not happy with it. And he hold only due to the fact that the Russian market is open for goods from Belarus. If Russia suddenly restricts its markets for Belarus, it will not be very sweet. Although their products are really very good quality.

Does he steal these "milked money" and put them in offshore accounts as Kremlin Inc does, or does he invest them back in economy/social programs?

That's my question.

Because Belorussians might not understand that Belorussia is a POOR COUNTRY to begin with. Poor in natural resources.

It's an OBJECTIVE factor why they can't have better lives, and it has little to do with Lukashenko's actions

( unless you will tell me that he steals in the same manner as Russian gov. officials do.)
Then it would be a different story.

Old 08-12-2020, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Does he steal these "milked money" and put them in offshore accounts as Kremlin Inc does, or does he invest them back in economy/social programs?

That's my question.

Because Belorussians might not understand that Belorussia is a POOR COUNTRY to begin with. Poor in natural resources.

It's an OBJECTIVE factor why they can't have better lives, and it has little to do with Lukashenko's actions

( unless you will tell me that he steals in the same manner as Russian gov. officials do.)
Then it would be a different story.
I can't say for sure. But the fact that the Lukashenko family is mired in corruption and controls most of the money flows is for sure.

The state of Lukashenko's son was estimated at hundreds of millions of dollars
https://live24.ru/v-mire/28002-sosto...-dollarov.html

There is no smoke without fire.

"In the screenshot you can see the status of the account of Viktor Lukashenko (the eldest son, responsible for all the security services in the country) in the Swiss Credit Suisse as of March 24, 2012. The amount is amazing — in terms of euros and Swiss francs, it is $840,466,689. This is about 1.5% of the total GDP of Belarus and only in one banking institution, " the telegram channel NEXTA reported.

Details: https://regnum.ru/news/polit/2980603.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe