Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 01:41 PM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The last known pocket of resistance to the Taliban has pledged allegiance and entered into talks.

https://twitter.com/BhadraPunchline/...88543326965762

If India, Afghanistan, and Pakistan can come to an agreement, a lot of terrorism will be left without local sponsorship. You're left with the groups sponsored by the Saudis, Qataris, and other emirates in coordination with the US.

They entered into talks already yesterday, ( it was on Russian news couple of posts above,) precisely because the "Northern Alliance" made some military gains within the last couple of days.

But I see no confirmation so far that any kind of "allegiance" has been made. ( Except for the younger brother of the now defunct former Afghan president.)
With that being said, here is the situation;

Under the normal circumstances, Russians would have supported these gains, reinforcing the momentum, and providing the logistic/military support from Tadjic/Uzbek territories.

The problem is - now the sons of the previous field commanders of the "Northern Alliance" are supporting Western interests in the area, and if they are going to be successful, Kremlin might change its tune regarding Taliban.

So for now Kremlin's attitude towards the whole situation is to "wait and see."

The whole problem with Afghanistan ( and why it's so difficult to establish peace in that country,) is because the Anglo-Saxon interests are clashing with Russian interests there.

And the Islamists are taking advantage of it.

Last edited by erasure; 08-21-2021 at 03:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 04:21 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,568,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
They entered into talks already yesterday, ( it was on Russian news couple of posts above,) precisely because the "Northern Alliance" made some military gains within the last couple of days.

But I see no confirmation so far that any kind of "allegiance" has been made. ( Except for the younger brother of the now defunct former Afghan president.)
With that being said, here is the situation;

Under the normal circumstances, Russians would have supported these gains, reinforcing the momentum, and providing the logistic/military support from Tadjic/Uzbek territories.

The problem is - now the sons of the previous field commanders of the "Northern Alliance" are supporting Western interests in the area, and if they are going to be successful, Kremlin might change its tune regarding Taliban.

So for now Kremlin's attitude towards the whole situation is to "wait and see."

The whole problem with Afghanistan ( and why it's so difficult to establish peace in that country,) is because the Anglo-Saxon interests are clashing with Russian interests there.

And the Islamists are taking advantage of it.
The problem is for outsiders is that the country is fragmented along ethnic/tribal lines and most territory is populated and controlled by the Pashtun. If you're going to win with the Northern Alliance, you have provide most of the heavy lifting in military support. It is just too fragmented, and the Panjshir valley is very small. They're hyping it now, but the fact is the Pashtun were the main resistance to the Soviets and then against the Americans. As soon as air support ended, the soldiers in the Afghan military went back to their tribes.

Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Russia are being starved of finances by the West. They need to attract Western and Chinese business interests to rebuild the country.

Quote:
Putin and Merkel prioritised the issue of Afghanistan when they met in the Kremlin on Friday on what was also the latter’s farewell visit to Russia before retirement from politics next month. After the talks, at their joint press conference, Putin spoke about the dramatic developments in Afghanistan. Quite obviously, he was addressing the western audience. In Putin’s estimation:

1. Taliban now controls “almost the entire territory” of Afghanistan, including Kabul. This is the reality that is crucial for the preservation of the Afghan state.

2. Prescriptive approach to impose western democratic values is “irresponsible”, given Afghan historical, national or religious specifics. The Soviet Union tried to “modernise” Afghanistan but failed and it proved “counterproductive”.

3. Taliban’s behaviour gives reason for hope. Armed hostilities have ended, social order is being restored and personal safety of Afghans and the security of diplomatic missions is being guaranteed. The West should take note and the UN could play a “coordinating role.”

4. Western elites begin to realise that political standards and norms of behaviour cannot be imposed on Afghanistan ignoring the country’s ethnic and religious structure and historical traditions. This understanding, hopefully, will lead to realpolitik.

5. Afghans should be allowed “the right to determine their future” and even if some developments are not to the liking of outsiders, accent should be on building good-neighbourly relations with respect for each other’s interests.

6. Russia is willing to “team up” with the US and European countries to robustly pursue efforts to help normalise the Afghan situation and establish good-neighbourly relations.
Putin meeting with Merkel

Old 08-21-2021, 04:46 PM

CNN reports that the US military is establishing “alternative routes” to Kabul airport in coordination with the Taliban because “there is a strong possibility” ISIS-K is trying to carryout an attack.

Kabul airport

Old 08-21-2021, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The problem is for outsiders is that the country is fragmented along ethnic/tribal lines and most territory is populated and controlled by the Pashtun. If you're going to win with the Northern Alliance, you have provide most of the heavy lifting in military support. It is just too fragmented, and the Panjshir valley is very small. They're hyping it now, but the fact is the Pashtun were the main resistance to the Soviets and then against the Americans. As soon as air support ended, the soldiers in the Afghan military went back to their tribes.

Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Russia are being starved of finances by the West. They need to attract Western and Chinese business interests to rebuild the country.

Putin meeting with Merkel

Russia does not need to "attract Western and Chinese capital," really.
Because the price of "Western capital investment" is the loss of political freedom and sovereignty of Russia, as the practice showed.

What Russia SHOULDN'T have done ( or rather big part of its former Soviet elite,) was to sell itself for American $$$$.
But they did.

And that's the root of all today's problems.

China is a country with typical third world mentality; this "paper tiger" is born only thanks to American know how and cheap Chinese labor.

Remove these two factors, and China goes back to the stone age, where it rightfully belongs.

And Pakistan is the former part of India conquered by muslims, that promotes now the "values of the radical Islam."
This pretty much covers it.

As for the rest...

Russians and Germans will continue their *intricate dance,* ( that involves Afghanistan's issue now, on top of Donbass/Ukraine,) yet the NS 2 will be done in a couple of days all the same I suppose.

Putin of course, being the old-fashioned chauvinist that he is, keeps on greeting Merkel with bouquets of flowers.

Since Merkel is not getting them from anyone else in EU, I guess the strategy is working)))

And when it comes specifically to Afghanistan, as I've said - it all depends what stance Anglo-Saxons will take in this particular situation.

Kremlin will calculate its next move ( on Taliban including,) based on who exactly is going to be included ( or not) in Talib's team.

So it all becomes about the specific figures on the chess board.

But for now, the way it is for the moment being - Taliban is still a "terrorist organization prohibited in Russia."
At least officially so.

Last edited by erasure; 08-21-2021 at 05:26 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 06:29 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Quote:
I however look at Afghanistan from a woman's point of view, a woman who still has family ties in that part of the world. ( I don't think I ever made a secret out of it.)

So of course my whole outlook on Islam is very different from yours.

To me, Beslan is the ultimate symbol of what Islam really is.
You mentioned having ties somewhere in that part of the world awhile back. I don't see Islam or Muslims any differently than I do a any other human being. We're just upright apes with the predisposition of those distant cousins, just better at making things and advertising.

The attitudes I see around me in the bigger picture concerning the Muslim world are not conducive to them progressing. With many people the fastest and easiest way to confirm a person has an anger problem is to tell them they have one. My own daughter was told this once and the person making this diagnosis was ignorant of what had been going on with her.

Most Westerners don't know their own world, their own history let alone Muslim history or the Muslim world. We have a distorted view of it. Sharia law is not enforced everywhere. In Syria womens rights were held in high regard. I saw women wearing Burkas and I saw women wearing slinky summer dresses and painted on bluejeans on the same street.

Beslan gets my hackles up also. I will never forget it. I will not allow it to color my constructive and logical thought train and apply that act to all Muslims. I will not apply what a WESTERN backed warlord and a pack of drug addicts did then, to a real Muslim.

I can see why you have the attitude you do. I can also see that you are flat out wrong in thinking the way you do about it.

No matter. I was married to a Russian female for 16 years. You aren't going to change your mind.

Last edited by Scrat335; 08-21-2021 at 06:38 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
You mentioned having ties somewhere in that part of the world awhile back. I don't see Islam or Muslims any differently than I do a any other human being. We're just upright apes with the predisposition of those distant cousins, just better at making things and advertising.

The attitudes I see around me in the bigger picture concerning the Muslim world are not conducive to them progressing. With many people the fastest and easiest way to confirm a person has an anger problem is to tell them they have one. My own daughter was told this once and the person making this diagnosis was ignorant of what had been going on with her.

Most Westerners don't know their own world, their own history let alone Muslim history or the Muslim world. We have a distorted view of it. Sharia law is not enforced everywhere. In Syria womens rights were held in high regard. I saw women wearing Burkas and I saw women wearing slinky summer dresses and painted on bluejeans on the same street.

Beslan gets my hackles up also. I will never forget it. I will not allow it to color my constructive and logical thought train and apply that act to all Muslims. I will not apply what a WESTERN backed warlord and a pack of drug addicts did then, to a real Muslim.

I can see why you have the attitude you do. I can also see that you are flat out wrong in thinking the way you do about it.

No matter. I was married to a Russian female for 16 years. You aren't going to change your mind.

Syria - that's where Assad still is, and where Russians still are. So big difference.

( Overall Levant area is reminiscent of the Southern Caucasus if anything, with heavy Russian presence back in the day.)

And of course I am not going to change my mind.

I am not sure how it was possible to miss the images like this, or this that were coming for long time from Afghanistan under Taliban domination.

So of course I recognize the real tragedy when I see one, like here, with a looming threat of the Taliban returning to power.

P.S.
Quote:
Sorry these are too general phrases.

This crime was committed in the name of Islam, with suicide bombers ( females at that) present on the scene, so who sponsored them in this case, comes already secondary.

What "applying this act to all muslims" has got to do with it, I am not even sure.

It is what it is.

"Religion of peace," that allows ( if not to say encourages) people to do this kind of things in the name of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b34GCpCS7Ds

Last edited by erasure; 08-21-2021 at 09:08 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 09:50 PM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times
Beslan was an act which brought shame to all Muslims everywhere. So said Muslim people, everywhere. I remember some of the interviews.

In finishing this I say hatred, breeds hatred. War breeds barbarism and atrocities. A country at war for decades and generations with the people living on the edge don't have time or effort to spare for luxuries such as womens rights or for dissent of any kind.

All I can say is I hope the Taliban win for the sake of all Afghans. With time and stability they will grow out of their primitive ways.

Old 08-21-2021, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
Beslan was an act which brought shame to all Muslims everywhere. So said Muslim people, everywhere. I remember some of the interviews.

In finishing this I say hatred, breeds hatred. War breeds barbarism and atrocities. A country at war for decades and generations with the people living on the edge don't have time or effort to spare for luxuries such as womens rights or for dissent of any kind.

All I can say is I hope the Taliban win for the sake of all Afghans. With time and stability they will grow out of their primitive ways.

Hatred breeds hatred, love brings love.

Yes it's in the bible, or something like that.
There is no such thing as "women's rights" under Islam in Western understanding, since Islam is BASED on hatred towards women - it's the very essence of it, and this can't be changed.

And THAT's why Islam will always bring nothing but hatred around the world, these terrorists acts including.

Because - hatred breeds hatred, by definition.

This is the reason why leaving Taliban in charge uncontrolled, the way they picture it is dangerous, since Afghanistan will become the breeding ground for all kinds of the terrorist groups as it used to be.

Russians understand it, the West understands it too, and that's the reason why Taliban will not get the "free pass" as they were planning.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:56 AM

The Taliban are using Russia to negotiate with Ahmad Massoud

https://bulgarianmilitary.com/2021/0...ahmad-massoud/

Russia is genuinely worried that Taliban may not have resources to ensure 100% border security. CSTO is preparing for terrorist groups that may cross over - principally, ISIS cells created by US in Badakhshan. Times won't admit ISIS is US geopolitical tool, hence bull****ting.

https://twitter.com/Z_DauletSingh/st...01945588989952

Syrian air defenses downed 22 of 24 Israeli missiles fired from Lebanese airspace – Russian Defense Ministry

https://www.rt.com/russia/532686-syr...s-22-missiles/

Last edited by lchoro; 08-22-2021 at 07:34 AM..

Old 08-22-2021, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Hatred breeds hatred, love brings love.

Yes it's in the bible, or something like that.
There is no such thing as "women's rights" under Islam in Western understanding, since Islam is BASED on hatred towards women - it's the very essence of it, and this can't be changed.

And THAT's why Islam will always bring nothing but hatred around the world, these terrorists acts including.

Because - hatred breeds hatred, by definition.

This is the reason why leaving Taliban in charge uncontrolled, the way they picture it is dangerous, since Afghanistan will become the breeding ground for all kinds of the terrorist groups as it used to be.

Russians understand it, the West understands it too, and that's the reason why Taliban will not get the "free pass" as they were planning.
First, you need to pull out the groups supported by US, NATO, Turkey, and India. Otherwise, you can't hold anyone accountable. This has been acknowledged by the planners, but it remains to be seen.

Khost Protection Force

There are purportedly 10,000 paramilitaries trained by the CIA. They can be used in combination with disinformation to discredit the Taliban or the other militias to try to spark a civil war like they did in Iraq (acknowledged in a single WaPo piece about psychological operations ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe