Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2022, 07:04 PM

2,396 posts, read 1,065,095 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2022, 07:05 PM

7,342 posts, read 4,131,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I believe China is just going to stay Neutral. Indeed a glorious blessing. Or the entire worldwide picture is awkward. And China is never going to invade Taiwan. I am quite surprised China overreacted to the virus pandemic that far for years then. Other matters, China is much smarter.

There are tons of Non-EU countries on side with Ukraine, NATO, respective allies: Australia, New Zealand, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, Brazil. And there is going to be more of them.

Key strategic importance to make the Russia economy collapse with those remarkably clever all mighty sanctions. Economic depression deep within Russia is already happening.
First, China has publicly denounced the USA interference in Ukraine. Second, China is purchase all of Russia available wheat. Not neutral in my book.

Quote:
Sanctions did not stop Putin from invading (Georgia, Crimea, Ukraine…) and sanctions are unlikely to cause Putin to retreat. Russia is now the world’s most sanctioned country, besting even North Korea and Iran.
https://www.theamericanconservative....-ukraine-ends/

Quote:
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the West’s subsequent sanctions on Russian banks, companies and elites have intensified this debate. Warnings from politicians and regulators in America and Europe suggest fears are high that people and entities hit with sanctions, and those wanting to keep doing business with them, will use cryptocurrencies and the exchanges on which they are traded to dodge the restrictions.
https://www.economist.com/finance-an...dgers/21808188

The last word is from the White House:

Quote:
With today’s financial sanctions, we have now targeted all ten of Russia’s largest financial institutions, including the imposition of full blocking and correspondent and payable-through account sanctions, and debt and equity restrictions, on institutions holding nearly 80% of Russian banking sector assets. The unprecedented export control measures will cut off more than half of Russia’s high-tech imports, restricting Russia’s access to vital technological inputs, atrophying its industrial base, and undercutting Russia’s strategic ambitions to exert influence on the world stage.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...sts-on-russia/

Well, that's a laugh! Most of the high tech imports come from China. Really, what is still manufactured in the USA?

Russia has its own banking/credit system not associated or depended upon the West.

Without international banking, it can not buy products from the West. Nor can the West buy necessary Russia product.

What we import from Russia - raw materials.

Quote:
The top import categories (2-digit HS) in 2019 were: mineral fuels ($13 billion), precious metal and stone (platinum) ($2.2 billion), iron and steel ($1.4 billion), fertilizers ($963 million), and inorganic chemicals ($763 million). U.S. total imports of agricultural products from Russia totaled $69 million in 2019
. https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/e...eurasia/russia

What Russia buys from US - services.

Quote:
U.S. exports of services to Russia were an estimated $5.1 billion in 2019, 4.8% ($237 million) more than 2018, and 7.7% greater than 2009 levels. Leading services exports from the U.S. to Russia were in the financial services, travel, and intellectual property (trademarks) sectors.
Quote:
According to the Department of Commerce, U.S. exports of goods and services to Russia supported estimated 66 thousand USA jobs in 2015 (latest data available) (36 thousand supported by goods exports and 30 thousand supported by services exports).
https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/e...eurasia/russia

Oil is one of Russia's smallest export. Still, the EU hasn't sanctioned Russia energy.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:13 PM

617 posts, read 538,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Aren't you the same one who wrote this?

Russia is a bully, and Ukraine was prepared to fight for their country. Putin's 2 day takeover isn't happening.

Good thing the "country DOES has an army to defend itself" - considering you believe that if a nation doesn't, then they deserve to have the greedy bear gobble them up.

And for what it's worth, I started a thread about how Lithuania compares to Belarus since joining NATO (Belarus obviously did not) - in 25 years they are far better off. More than 3 times better.

Here's a link to the thread:

//www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/3341684-what-joining-nato-aligning-russia-can.html

You have a great evening now, ya hear?

"2 days take over", which was never planned by Putin?? Russians have nowhere to hurry now, they blocked most large Ukrainian cities, they cannot take them because Ukrainian Nazi army uses Nazi tactics, just like Hitler - use civilians and civilian infrastructure as a shield. Russians aren't NATO, they want to avoid civilians casualties as much as they can.

So you conveniently skipped my description of NATO as the most evil imperialistic military block ever created. One of the reasons Putin is at war now, because he fed up with NATO/West dictating him what to do and how to live and constantly expanding towards Russian borders. I don't support his war, but I can understand his motivation.

BTW, no matter how much weapons NATO will sell to Lithuania, if Russia decides to take it - it will, and there's no one to stop them, NATO just don't have balls, they only bomb and shoot those which cannot properly respond - the army of cowards.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:24 PM

617 posts, read 538,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Return2FL View Post
He was elected by people who you and Putin call Nazis. That's an insane thing to say or think. Nazis don't vote for Jews. It's not complicated.

He was elected by his US masters, they gave him money, they prepared his propaganda, they did same for the previous Ukrainian president. Zelensky paid back by hiding Biden's family business interests in Ukraine and stopping investigations of Biden's family criminal offenses there.

Nazis vote for whoever supports them, Zelensky needed them to become the president, his whole campaign was built on anti-Russian Nazi sentiment.

No one but Zelensky approved the law which prohibits Russian language in Ukraine as a state language, banning it in schools, despite 15+ millions of Ukrainians are Russian speaking.

He and Poroshenko approved Nazi troops constantly shelling Donbass area for 8 years, 14,000 people killed there, including 700 children, just because they wanted autonomy from Ukraine. How else can you call such murderers, not Nazi, then how, please advise.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:29 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
:
:
https://ustr.gov/countries-regions/e...eurasia/russia

Oil is one of Russia's smallest export. Still, the EU hasn't sanctioned Russia energy
No, that's wrong. Crude Oil is the #1 Russian export. Petroleum products is #2. Natural gas is #3. Diesel fuel is #6. Other liquid fuels is #7.

See:
https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/exports

Old 03-14-2022, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I believe China is just going to stay Neutral. Indeed a glorious blessing. Or the entire worldwide picture is awkward. And China is never going to invade
Quote:
China will face major “consequences” should it help Russia evade an ever-growing raft of American sanctions, White House national security adviser Jake Sullivan has warned, just a day before he’s set to meet with Beijing’s top diplomat in Rome.

Sullivan’s warning on Sunday came soon after unnamed Western officials told the New York Times and Washington Post that Russia is seeking weapons and economic relief from China amid the ongoing invasion of Ukraine. A spokesperson for the Chinese government said they were unaware of such a request, while Moscow has yet to confirm the reports.

In response to the attack on Ukraine launched in late February, the Joe Biden administration has imposed countless layers of new sanctions explicitly aiming to cripple and isolate the Russian economy.

China, however, is one among several nations refusing to condemn the invasion or sever its economic ties with Russia.

Despite American pressure to join in on the sanctions spree, Chinese President Xi Jinping has stated that Beijing’s relationship with Russia “even exceeds an alliance” in its “closeness and effectiveness,” suggesting the country is unlikely to bow to Western demands anytime soon.
https://libertarianinstitute.org/new...rt-for-russia/

Old 03-14-2022, 07:35 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Well, that's a laugh! Most of the high tech imports come from China. Really, what is still manufactured in the USA?

Russia has its own banking/credit system not associated or depended upon the West.

Without international banking, it can not buy products from the West. Nor can the West buy necessary Russia product.
And, yet, Russia's economy is failing under the currently imposed sanctions.

Quote:
Russia's economy is taking a beating due to the invasion of Ukraine. The International Monetary Fund now says that a Russian default on its debts is no longer "improbable", and sanctions are having a "severe" impact on the Russian economy and would trigger a deep recession there this year. Fitch, Moody's, and S&P Global have all downgraded Russian debt to effectively junk bond territory. Fitch Ratings said in an explainer on its decision to downgrade Russia that the "C" rating "reflects Fitch's view that a sovereign default is imminent."
According to the Russian Finance Ministry in Moscow, sanctions imposed on Russia will determine if international investors are able to collect debt payments on sovereign bonds denominated in foreign currencies. Russian corporate bonds denominated in foreign currencies have plunged to deeply distressed levels in recent days. Since the Ruble is plummeting and no one wants to trade in that currency, that gives further credence to a possible imminent default for Russia.

Russia's finance minister has admitted that nearly half the country's foreign currency reserves are unusable.
Anton Siluanov said in a state TV interview that $300 billion of Russia's $640 billion reserves were frozen by sanctions.

I guess that "independent" credit system isn't working nearly as well as Russia had hoped.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
No, that's wrong. Crude Oil is the #1 Russian export. Petroleum products is #2. Natural gas is #3. Diesel fuel is #6. Other liquid fuels is #7.

See:
https://tradingeconomics.com/russia/exports
Well, that is pretty messed because my quote was from the White House press. I can't believe the White House got it wrong!

Don't know if I should laugh or cry!

Last edited by YorktownGal; 03-14-2022 at 08:25 PM..

Old 03-14-2022, 07:50 PM

12,427 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
Well, that is pretty messed because my quoted was from the White House press. I can't believe the White House got it wrong!

Don't know if I should laugh or cry!
I think that page was showing US/Russia trade. And Russia may not export much oil and gas to the USA.

Old 03-14-2022, 07:57 PM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I think that page was showing US/Russia trade. And Russia may not export much oil and gas to the USA.
Which is true. The US is the #1 producer of petroleum products, and over 1/2 of the imports to the US come from Canada. Imports from Russia are actually behind Mexico
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe