Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2016, 11:37 AM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think, that 'traditional' food is "schi" (cabbage soup), Ukrainian "borsch" (beet soup), "kasha" (boiled grains, for exemple, buckwheat and others), boiled turnip (btw, I've never tried it), pancakes (with filling), bread, honey (including fermented honey and water), "kvass" (fermented bread and water).

Russia is the multinational country, so the food is very diverse. Includes pasta. But pasta with stewed meat is popular, but not historically traditional food.
I meant that how much of the food is something that was around 100 years ago? Like in Italy they eat almost exactly the same as 100 years ago, while in Finland bolognese, lasagne, baguette, croissants, olive oil, french fries, risotto and others are regular food, and local variants could be called 'Finnish'. In haute cuisine the dominant school is French.

Yes, russian cuisine is very diverse, and in big cities there are probably much Azeri, Armenian and other cuisine.

But do Russians eat hamburgers? And do they still drink kvass?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 11:58 AM

26,783 posts, read 22,537,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
I meant that how much of the food is something that was around 100 years ago? Like in Italy they eat almost exactly the same as 100 years ago, while in Finland bolognese, lasagne, baguette, croissants, olive oil, french fries, risotto and others are regular food, and local variants could be called 'Finnish'. In haute cuisine the dominant school is French.

Yes, russian cuisine is very diverse, and in big cities there are probably much Azeri, Armenian and other cuisine.

Didn't you fix "katlet" already? That's your Russian version of hamburger - right there))
And why would they stop drinking kvass?
It's all natural, it's healthy, and it beats any Pepsi-coka-cola as far as taste goes any day.

So yeah - bochka kvass, as the popular tune goes)))

Old 08-01-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Didn't you fix "katlet" already? That's your Russian version of hamburger - right there))
And why would they stop drinking kvass?
It's all natural, it's healthy, and it beats any Pepsi-coka-cola as far as taste goes any day.

So yeah - bochka kvass, as the popular tune goes)))
I was feeling lazy. Have to postpone it to tomorrow. What should you eat on the side? Boiled potatoes?

Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
I was feeling lazy. Have to postpone it to tomorrow. What should you eat on the side? Boiled potatoes?
Ariete is going Russky!

Old 08-01-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
FRYED potatoes, FRYED Ariete)))
Don't make a fatal mistake)))

Old 08-01-2016, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ariete is going Russky!
That's what I'm pointing at, and he doesn't recognize the looming danger))))

Old 08-01-2016, 12:13 PM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
That's what I'm pointing at, and he doesn't recognize the looming danger))))
First, katlety and potatoes. Next, a knock at the door at midnight.

Just kidding!

Old 08-01-2016, 12:52 PM

5,786 posts, read 4,231,086 times
Quote:

I think that 100 years ago the Russians ate approximately the same. Earlier, people were preserved by pickling or salting. Now canning technology creating expanded opportunities. The main worlds fast-food restaurants are represented in Russia. I like hamburgers. Kvass is popular in Russia so far. Some people continue to do it yourself, but most people are ready to buy a bottle in groсery store. Also okroshka (vegetable salad filled kvass) is very popular in the summer months.

Old 08-01-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maksim_Frolov View Post
I think that 100 years ago the Russians ate approximately the same. Earlier, people were preserved by pickling or salting. Now canning technology creating expanded opportunities. The main worlds fast-food restaurants are represented in Russia. I like hamburgers. Kvass is popular in Russia so far. Some people continue to do it yourself, but most people are ready to buy a bottle in groсery store. Also okroshka (vegetable salad filled kvass) is very popular in the summer months.
Question Maxim - do you like the hamburgers ( where do you buy them?) or котлеты more?

( I don't eat either of them, so I'm asking out of curiosity...)

Old 08-01-2016, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Ariete is going Russky!
Always happy to enjoy good-looking food. Kotlety are a redundancy here as we have meatballs. IDK, maybe I should learn more about Russia, I know almost nothing about it.

Quote:
FRYED potatoes, FRYED Ariete)))
Don't make a fatal mistake)))
Got it! Should I fry them in the same butter as the kotlety or change it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe