Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 09:44 AM

26,790 posts, read 22,567,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
Yes, but that won't stop them from trying.

Who "them"?
Who are exactly "they" that want to become "one nation"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 09:46 AM

6,812 posts, read 4,254,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Who "them"?
Who are exactly "they" that want to become "one nation"?

The political mainstream parties that are committed to 'ever closer union'? If there's something you'd like to say..why don't you say it instead of asking leading question after leading question.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:04 AM

Quote:
The political mainstream parties that are committed to 'ever closer union'? If there's something you'd like to say..why don't you say it instead of asking leading question after leading question.

I am asking "leading question" after "leading question," because once the picture becomes more clear, whatever I have to say as a conclusion doesn't sound too far-fetched.

So..
Yes, the POLITICIANS ( PART of them that is,) might be interested in such "unification."

How much these politicians ( and their ideas) are supported by the rest of population is a whole different story.

What even Brexit showed us, is that bigger part of THESE Europeans was against it.

At that, we are not even talking about the idea of becoming "one European nation," but "shared foreign policy, shared defense policy, shared trade policy, shared legal framework, shared monetary policy, shared budgetary/economic policy" only.

So again, if you forgive me, I'll keep on asking "leading questions."
Why did these people refused to keep on "sharing" all that, not to mention "unified European identity" (which would be the next logical step)?

Old 06-02-2020, 10:23 AM

The UK is a special case to some extent because of their history of staying distanced from the continent and very successfully 'doing their own thing'.

In continental Europe many people are enamored with the idea of European unity for very different reasons. Given that the only parties opposed to further EU integration are left and right populist groups that get very bad press and are seen as 'problematic', I don't see how the process could be stopped per se. See, I know the former Warsaw Pact states don't really want to be part of a European superstate, but at the same time they do also want to be more Westernized in economic terms. That's what keeps them in the EU and makes it unlikely they leave in the near future.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
The UK is a special case to some extent because of their history of staying distanced from the continent and very successfully 'doing their own thing'.

Can you give me examples please?
Because when I look back in history, Great Britain is all over the place, when it comes to "continental" affairs.

They constantly make alliances with these or that powers, ( France, Russia, Osman Empire - you name it. ( As long as it's not Germans - now when I think about it))) )
They might act as if they are "superior to them all," but "staying distant from the continent" - pfffttt...
I think NOT.

Quote:
In continental Europe many people are enamored with the idea of European unity for very different reasons.
And many people are not, right?
At that, we should keep in mind that some might be interested/approving of the "shared foreign policy, shared defense policy, shared trade policy, shared legal framework, shared monetary policy, shared budgetary/economic policy," but would stop short of further "integration."
And then, some other are against even this current level of unification, as Great Britain yet again showed us.

Quote:
Given that the only parties opposed to further EU integration are left and right populist groups that get very bad press and are seen as 'problematic', I don't see how the process could be stopped per se.
I am sorry, I don't keep an eye on details in each and every European country, so I can't comment on what each and every "right" or "left" group in every respectful country wants, because they obviously want this or that for their own specific national reasons, which are affiliated with country's background I would guess.

Quote:
See, I know the former Warsaw Pact states don't really want to be part of a European superstate, but at the same time they do also want to be more Westernized in economic terms. That's what keeps them in the EU and makes it unlikely they leave in the near future.
Correct, as I've pointed earlier, there is certain amount of EU population that's happy with current "shared defense and monetary policy" ( as long as it serves their purpose,) but will stop short of turning into "one nation" for real. You will probably find most of these people in the Eastern part of Europe.

And then again, there are those, that find even this kind of arrangements unacceptable, and you will find most of these people in the Western part of Europe.
But whatever it is, the bigger picture indicates that MOST Europeans don't envision possibility of morphing into "one nation" for real.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
Can you give me examples please?
Because when I look back in history, Great Britain is all over the place, when it comes to "continental" affairs.

They constantly make alliances with these or that powers, ( France, Russia, Osman Empire - you name it. ( As long as it's not Germans - now when I think about it))) )
They might act as if they are "superior to them all," but "staying distant from the continent" - pfffttt...
I think NOT.

They sure like to get involved in the continental affairs, but they also like to view themselves as a 'breed apart'. I know that when Brits talk about "Europe" they often don't include themselves in that.

Quote:
And many people are not, right?

Sure, but if they vote for the main parties it doesn't matter whether they want this or that. You may vote for say Merkel or Macron because you like a 'middle of the road' stable government, but you're getting a commitment to European integrationism with that government whether you like it or not.

Quote:

At that, we should keep in mind that some might be interested/approving of the "shared foreign policy, shared defense policy, shared trade policy, shared legal framework, shared monetary policy, shared budgetary/economic policy," but would stop short of further "integration."
And then, some other are against even this current level of unification, as Great Britain yet again showed us.

Of course, there are all sorts of different views around and each country will have its own perspectives and different factions.

Quote:
But whatever it is, the bigger picture indicates that MOST Europeans don't envision possibility of morphing into "one nation" for real.

They may not 'envision' it, but then that is a problem with their eyesight. These types of questions develop a dynamic of their own because already the current state of integration is one that cannot persist. You can't have the same currency but pursue fiscally opposite courses.

The current status quo was designed as merely a temporary status on a march toward a united Europe, so it will either lead there or it will all fall apart spectacularly. Every step along the way from the single market to Maastricht to Lisbon was just another step on the ladder. As a result every proposed solution that the institutions and governments propose when it comes to any kind of problem includes further EU integration. "European solution" or "European partnership" that's the code words that come up all the time. Again, it is up to the voters to stop this, but I think it is more likely they won't.

But this is a known thing - there is a reason the phrase 'sleepwalking into a United Europe' was used during the Brexit campaign. It's like a lobster boiled without knowing it. By the time it's too hot it's too late.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:35 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
See, I know the former Warsaw Pact states don't really want to be part of a European superstate, but at the same time they do also want to be more Westernized in economic terms. That's what keeps them in the EU and makes it unlikely they leave in the near future.

"westernized in economic terms"? Capitalism and or democracy aren't "Western" so this makes no sense. The whole statement is absurd it just shows what the eu really is: imperialism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperialism

Last edited by euro123; 06-02-2020 at 12:45 PM..

Old 06-02-2020, 12:45 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,482,861 times
UK should have stayed in the EU. They should have been leading it. EU should have compromised on migrants.

Old 06-02-2020, 12:49 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,025,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
UK should have stayed in the EU. They should have been leading it. EU should have compromised on migrants.

The meteor that killed the dinosaurs should've missed them, Obama should've remained president, Kobe should't have boarded the chopper etc etc. It's pointless to dive into whataboutism of the past, it happened and we live with the result for the better or worse, period.

Old 06-02-2020, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
"westernized in economic terms"? Capitalism and or democracy aren't "Western" so this makes no sense. The whole statement is absurd it just shows what the eu really is: imperialism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperialism

Given that capitalism and democracy in combination have mostly been found in "Western" states and the EU originated in an agreement between Western European countries which the Eastern Europeans then asked to join, it's a more than fair statement.

Personally, I am no friend of the EU and have no desire to 'imperially' dominate Bulgaria one way or another, in fact, I would strongly suggest to Bulgaria to leave the EU and seek its fortunes elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe