Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2016, 02:36 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,407,670 times

Advertisements

Having one government for such a diverse people (diverse in values, aspirations, morality, cultural norms, etc . . ) is not an efficient option. It forces many people, who may be square pegs, to be shoved into round holes. It is best to have local governments that have open trade, commerce, and interaction and the goodwill to facilitate cooperation & relationships with all other local governments. One government for too diverse a people will only cause problems in the long run.

Last edited by Bulldawg82; 01-21-2016 at 02:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2020, 06:29 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Default Will the EU become a united country?

Less of a political or economic question, and more of a cultural question.

After french cultural monopoly in the 1100s and the move towards court culture, europe has had a pretty shared identity.

It make take an outsider to see,, but after traveling Europe, the mannerisms of the people and their lifestyles are all very similar.

I think nationalistic Europeans don't want to admit how globalized their culture is. Cafe culture in France isn't so unique, nor are the other things Europeans hold up in pride.

Just the opinion of an american. Europe is not very localized.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:38 PM

26,778 posts, read 22,534,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post

After french cultural monopoly in the 1100s and the move towards court culture, europe has had a pretty shared identity.

It make take an outsider to see,, but after traveling Europe, the mannerisms of the people and their lifestyles are all very similar.

I think nationalistic Europeans don't want to admit how globalized their culture is. Cafe culture in France isn't so unique, nor are the other things Europeans hold up in pride.

Whaaa?

Old 06-01-2020, 08:09 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,279,564 times
Quote:

England just left the EU. I think this is about as United you'll ever see Europe. You have, for large parts, freedom of movement a few even share currency.
Beyond that I wouldn't hold my breath. Just ask yourself as simple as something like "Which language would a United Europe speak".

Old 06-01-2020, 08:21 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,428,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustermannBB View Post
England just left the EU. I think this is about as United you'll ever see Europe. You have, for large parts, freedom of movement a few even share currency.
Beyond that I wouldn't hold my breath. Just ask yourself as simple as something like "Which language would a United Europe speak".
French?

I think Montenegro joined recently offsetting the UK, and if Scotland becomes independent then that is another country in Brussel's pocket.

Anyways Europeans are very alike, but it takes a foreigner to realize this.

Old 06-01-2020, 08:28 PM

61,673 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:

Ever been to Europe? I don't think so...

BTW: You already asked that question:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/euro...e-country.html

Last edited by elnina; 06-02-2020 at 06:40 AM..

Old 06-01-2020, 08:47 PM

Quote:
French?

Besides France and Belgium and perhaps Switzerland, I doubt many would agree.

Quote:
I think Montenegro joined recently offsetting the UK, and if Scotland becomes independent then that is another country in Brussel's pocket.

Not sure Montenegro is offsetting England's exit really. EU has a big enough task to hold the EU together as it is.

Quote:

Humans are very alike, and it does not take much to realize this. So what's your point?!

Old 06-01-2020, 08:55 PM

5,428 posts, read 3,494,204 times
It isn't just Brexit though. In recent years, alt-right parties have seen growth in many countries and one of the common threads many of them share is a distaste of the EU. Even if we were to take that out of the picture, European countries have far too many individual traits for a superstructure of that kind to work. Smaller nations would lose their identity to larger powers like France and Germany.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:02 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,267,441 times
Default Elnina beat me to it...

I was going to say what Elnina said... maybe not those words, but I was going to ask how much you actually know about Europe and the cultures, history and politics. I get exposed to it because of family I have that live there, and have been visiting for years, and about to move there later this year (wife and kids already moved to Norway before me), but a question like yours is a bit puzzling, at least to me... and Elnina who is from Europe originally. Maybe you can elaborate some more on what you meant?

Old 06-01-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I was going to say what Elnina said... maybe not those words, but I was going to ask how much you actually know about Europe and the cultures, history and politics. I get exposed to it because of family I have that live there, and have been visiting for years, and about to move there later this year (wife and kids already moved to Norway before me), but a question like yours is a bit puzzling, at least to me... and Elnina who is from Europe originally. Maybe you can elaborate some more on what you meant?

I know, you did not ask me, but for what it's worth my 2 cents.
If people, in the US for example, think that state rights and state pride is a thing amplify that by x.

I mean, as an example, you have kids or young adults born in Germany to let's say Italian, Spanish, Turkish, Greek etc parents who identify strongly with the country of their parents. Much more so than with Germany, even if they live there, went to school there and work there. Their parents made sure they also speak the language.
And that is just a small example.
Tell an Italian that starting tomorrow he/she will have to speak Spanish since Italy will be no more, if you can imagine a positive or serious reaction/consideration you can't have spent much time time in Italy or vice versa in Spain.

Tell Hungarians or Bulgarians that their countries will be united as one big country, see how they react, better yet tell the Balkan countries who fought a bloody and brutal war because they could/would not exist as a united Yugoslavia, that now they are part of a united Europe country. LOL
Again if one just for a second thinks yes why not, one must've only been sightseeing when in Europe....

There are countless more examples, like the Basque or Catalan etc etc.

It's just too silly a suggestion at this stage of society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe