Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 10:42 AM

3,980 posts, read 9,017,280 times

Advertisements

Viralmd is correct. One cannot just move to the EU and become a resident by staying. Even I could not become a naturalized citizen in Ireland when I lived there (my children and husband are all Irish citizens). I had to continuously register with the police/immigration officials. One can only get a tourist stamp on your passport unless you are sponsored by a company for work..even then you must leave the country when/if the job expires or you quit the job. Perhaps the Netherlands is more lenient, but I highly doubt it. Immigration is not something you mess around with!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 11:26 AM

1,669 posts, read 6,254,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
Mostly because unless you meet specific (and tough) requirements, you won't be given anything BUT a tourist visa.
You still don't KNOW that the poster does not meet the requirements for another type of visa.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:10 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,780,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving123456 View Post
You still don't KNOW that the poster does not meet the requirements for another type of visa.
And, frankly, you don't know that the poster DOES meet the requirements for another type of visa which only goes to illustrate how pointless such a discussion is.

Let's drop it and get back to the topic as a whole.

Old 02-15-2009, 11:14 AM

3 posts, read 14,666 times
Assuming that you meet immigration requirements to the EU,

Germany, Ireland, England, or the Netherlands
German is very easy to learn as an English speaker. Dutch is easy to learn if you can speak German and English.

If you move to Ireland, try Dublin. The cost of living is high, but worth it in my opinion.
The quality of life in France, Spain, Italy, etc. can be quite variable based on what region. I'd stray away from those countries as an American.
If you move to Germany, try Niedersachsen (Lower-Saxony) or Berlin. Hamburg, Bremen, and Hannover are all great.
If the Netherlands, Holland (North or South.) Holland's great. BTW, Holland is a state in the Netherlands that's broken down into North and South.

I'd most strongly recommend Dublin, Germany, and Holland in that order.

Old 02-25-2009, 12:30 AM

442 posts, read 1,584,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik3pass View Post
The quality of life in France, Spain, Italy, etc. can be quite variable based on what region. I'd stray away from those countries as an American.

I'd most strongly recommend Dublin, Germany, and Holland in that order.
Out of curiosity, why would you recommend staying away from France, Spain and Italy as an American? Those are a few of the EU countries that appeal to me most, along with Greece, so it's a surprise and disappointment to see that you wouldn't recommend them!

The Netherlands are also appealing though, I watched a documentary on the region just yesterday. The architecture looks so fascinating to me, as a young American, but are the citizens discontent with the age of it all, or are these only the 'tourist' areas?

Old 02-25-2009, 09:45 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,136,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
Out of curiosity, why would you recommend staying away from France, Spain and Italy as an American? Those are a few of the EU countries that appeal to me most, along with Greece, so it's a surprise and disappointment to see that you wouldn't recommend them!

The Netherlands are also appealing though, I watched a documentary on the region just yesterday. The architecture looks so fascinating to me, as a young American, but are the citizens discontent with the age of it all, or are these only the 'tourist' areas?
My fiance is American i took him to Spain as i've been going there for 18 years and they have no problem with Americans. Greece, Italy are the same.

By the way as far as a country to move too, Scotland is just like Ireland only much cheaper. I love my country its very beautiful and has alot to offer everyone.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:02 AM

238 posts, read 730,458 times
Bloomberg.com: Exclusive

Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,498,555 times
Ireland is the nicest Polish country in Europe. Try the Pierogies. Then hop over to England for their national specialty, kebab which is makes nice after-mosque treat. Just be sure to brush up on your Urdu.

When in Rome do as the Romans do, as they say.

ABQConvict

Old 02-25-2009, 10:50 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,509,391 times
And let's not forget that only about 50% of the population in England is married. The rest are either divorced (shock!), single or . . . COHABITING!

I think the percentages in certain European countries are even higher

Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,692,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
And let's not forget that only about 50% of the population in England is married. The rest are either divorced (shock!), single or . . . COHABITING!

I think the percentages in certain European countries are even higher
Yep, living in sin for over 20 years but about to get married this autumn. I thought I ought to single handedly buck the trend !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe