Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2009, 12:18 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,646,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Actually in the Netherlands you still have to learn Dutch. True, the people over there speak great English but learning Dutch is necessary as that is the official language in that country.
Uhm... By the same logic, you have to learn Swedish in Sweden, Danish in Denmark and Norweigan in Norway.
(I think s/he meant as in people in the Netherlands, UK, and the "Scandinavian lot" speak good English, hence you can get by easier than in other countries where they don't speak English as well. It is probably easier to assimilate and learn another language if you can communicate with the locals upon arrival.
Not agreeing or disagreeing with the countries chosen, just giving my interpretation of the post)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 11:46 PM

9 posts, read 30,253 times
For the Right Wing US mindset of the original thread starter with his question, I would recommend Germany back in the '30s.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:46 AM

1,946 posts, read 2,565,358 times
Spain

Old 10-27-2010, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 2,640 times
As an American who was born in Germany and worked/lived and traveled to most corners on the continent, I can state equivocally that the same "problems" that you complained about in the US are actually more pronounced in most Western countries. With the exception of Switzerland and other small principalities (monaco, andorra, Lux), most Euro zone nations have lifestyles, although comparable to other industrial countries including US,that the majority of Americans might find difficult: taxes are astronomical (but then public benefits like high quality universal health care are free, generous pension and maternity leave), high cost of living (foods, gas, rents+20-40+ more than US). Immigration is a major policy hurdle in UK, france, italy, norway, sweden, etc. on a much larger scale. Finally, unless you speak the native language and have highly desirable skills (tech), you chances of landing a job are virtually nil, considering the tough residency and job requirements (especially in Switzerland where each cantons--provinces--have different, distinct dialects) for foreign aliens--even for a better-than others white American like you. Finally, Europeans principally tend a left bend, even the most right-winged parties here are moderate compared to US. The world is a smaller place now with this new world order where people, cultures and commerce inevitably mixed--for better or worse. Adapt, improve yourself in terms of education, skills and culture so as to minimize the tendency to look the "others" as the source of your misery.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:07 PM

344 posts, read 462,651 times
It's not in Europe, but I would recommend that you try Singapore.

Old 10-27-2010, 09:55 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mik3pass View Post
The quality of life in France, Spain, Italy, etc. can be quite variable based on what region.
Why?

Old 02-21-2013, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 1,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeone View Post
The only English speaking European countries are the UK, and the Republic of Ireland, though whether you'd find them an improvement is debatable.
People like you (bigot) are probably the reason why people want to move from their area... God help people who have the pleasure of you!!

The whole of Ireland is one of the friendliest most welcoming places any (americans very welcome) one could wish to live.. A fact of life today however is that most places have a growing drug/alcohol culture which fosters crime and violence

Old 02-21-2013, 12:08 PM

7,855 posts, read 10,291,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali21 View Post
People like you (bigot) are probably the reason why people want to move from their area... God help people who have the pleasure of you!!

The whole of Ireland is one of the friendliest most welcoming places any (americans very welcome) one could wish to live.. A fact of life today however is that most places have a growing drug/alcohol culture which fosters crime and violence

way to make an entry , not only do you manage to insult someone in a disgusting manner , you completely take them up wrong

id be appologising if i were you for that outrageous post

Old 02-21-2013, 12:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,504,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali21 View Post

Thats a 4 year old post you replied to. noob.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:31 PM

233 posts, read 449,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, I am sure. I lived there myself and a Brit told me the same thing.
Of course there are also many Brits who don't feel that way, just like there are Portuguese who love Brazilians. I guess it is more older people who have that resentment.

I guess that Americans are far more popular than Germans...In Europe, everybody hates each other, but Americans are probably more popular than nationals of neighbouring countries. People here even hate people of towns separated by 3 miles, old feuds that have been going for centuries and centuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe