Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 05:56 PM

578 posts, read 1,480,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by themeone View Post
The only English speaking European countries are the UK, and the Republic of Ireland, though whether you'd find them an improvement is debatable.
Actually, there are more English-speaking European countries: Gibraltar, Malta and technically, Island of Man is considered a country of its own. All of them small though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 07:12 PM

295 posts, read 1,157,270 times
Gibraltar is not a country.

Old 02-21-2013, 08:20 PM

Gibraltar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is. Has its own country code (.gb), flag and international phone country code.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:07 AM

228 posts, read 368,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
Actually, there are more English-speaking European countries: Gibraltar, Malta and technically, Island of Man is considered a country of its own. All of them small though.
In Malta they speak Maltese not English

Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 AM

233 posts, read 451,039 times
Ireland is bilingual, I believe that Gaelic is official.
In Gibraltar they speak "Llanito", a rough Andalusian dialect, their English does not sound very different.

Old 02-22-2013, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofi32 View Post
In Malta they speak Maltese not English
Wrong. Both Maltese and English are official languages.
Now, the fact that the locals are too nationalist and try to speak Maltese as much as they can, that's another story. But in dealing with paperwork, government official stuff etc, English is officially accepted.

I know this from experience - I was prospecting a move to Malta, but at the end I decided that it's too small and too crowded, and bad management of natural resources (nat gas, water and electricity very expensive and houses not well insulated).

Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM

14,825 posts, read 12,078,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
In Spain it is even more important to speak Spanish fluently. People who don't speak the local language will not be able to really make it in any country where English is not the official language. And even in Britain many people don't like Americans. As soon as they hear that accent they cringe. Same with many Portuguese when they hear Brazilian Portuguese.

Actually European countries have the same kind of logical, hierarchical system that most countries around the world have these days, including the US, Canada etc. And the few places where foreigners are preferred over locals are not the ones where one would want to go in the first place None of those places are in Europe anyway.
To be honest with you I dont think this part is really true!?

Old 03-27-2013, 01:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,680 times
To all those saying that he's racist, you are wrong. He just doesn't like people coming into his country illegally and I fully respect that. I am a second generation Indian immigrant (legal) for your information. Anyways, the best country to move to would probably be Switzerland because the people were very fluent in English went we went there. Also, many of the problems you stated plague Britain so best not to move there. Good luck!

Old 03-27-2013, 10:45 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,019,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Tretman View Post
To all those saying that he's racist, you are wrong. He just doesn't like people coming into his country illegally and I fully respect that. I am a second generation Indian immigrant (legal) for your information. Anyways, the best country to move to would probably be Switzerland because the people were very fluent in English went we went there. Also, many of the problems you stated plague Britain so best not to move there. Good luck!
Which of these countries would be the easiest to fit in for someone who speaks English WITHOUT any knowledge of other European languages?(i.e. German, French, etc.). And which one/s is/are the least racist to visible minorities?
- Germany

- Switzerland

- Austria

- Denmark

- Norway

- Sweden

Old 03-28-2013, 01:49 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,358,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
Which of these countries would be the easiest to fit in for someone who speaks English WITHOUT any knowledge of other European languages?(i.e. German, French, etc.). And which one/s is/are the least racist to visible minorities?
You'll never fully fit in when you don't speak the local language. That doesn't mean that you won't find any friends, but you will always be an outsider. That said, it doesn't matter if English is the only language you speak when you move there. But attempts to try to learn the language are always highly appreciated.

As racism is concerned: In general, none of those countries are particularly racist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe