Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 01:04 PM

101 posts, read 764,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliveandWell View Post
Exactly right. Just because you are tired of what's going on the US, that reason alone is not good enough to move somewhere in the hopes that the grass will be greener. It is very tough for US citizens to move to Europe to live and work LEGALLY.
Well I would say the grass always "seems" greener on the other end, only after you've lived there for a few months to realize that it's as worse or worser than where you lived before.

Secondly, language can create a huge barrier when moving to Europe (With the exception of countries like the Netherlands, UK, and the Scandinavian lot.)

Thirdly, yes it is hard to find work. Often, they require a proof of one's language skills (unless you're in a profession that uses English on a day to day basis or you're working for a branch or sublet of an American/Canadian/Aus/British company.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 09:37 AM

10 posts, read 26,403 times
In my opinion Florence it is my dream place where I would like to live.

Old 12-04-2009, 11:00 AM

1,249 posts, read 2,703,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shreypete View Post
Well I would say the grass always "seems" greener on the other end, only after you've lived there for a few months to realize that it's as worse or worser than where you lived before.

Secondly, language can create a huge barrier when moving to Europe (With the exception of countries like the Netherlands, UK, and the Scandinavian lot.)

Thirdly, yes it is hard to find work. Often, they require a proof of one's language skills (unless you're in a profession that uses English on a day to day basis or you're working for a branch or sublet of an American/Canadian/Aus/British company.)
Actually in the Netherlands you still have to learn Dutch. True, the people over there speak great English but learning Dutch is necessary as that is the official language in that country. And also, another thing to consider is that in these European countries, they prefer hiring one of their own local people first, followed by Europeans from other countries and THEN if they need workers for a certain field that's in demand, then they might consider hiring a US or Canadian citizen. its a complicated process. For the OP, I would suggest Spain as they have a better climate than many nations in Europe and the people are friendly. But Spain's economy is awful. Their unemployment rate is expected to go up to 25% within the next three years.

Old 12-05-2009, 12:18 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,849,914 times
In Spain it is even more important to speak Spanish fluently. People who don't speak the local language will not be able to really make it in any country where English is not the official language. And even in Britain many people don't like Americans. As soon as they hear that accent they cringe. Same with many Portuguese when they hear Brazilian Portuguese.

Actually European countries have the same kind of logical, hierarchical system that most countries around the world have these days, including the US, Canada etc. And the few places where foreigners are preferred over locals are not the ones where one would want to go in the first place None of those places are in Europe anyway.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:16 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,136,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And even in Britain many people don't like Americans. As soon as they hear that accent they cringe.
Are you sure your talking about the right place?

Here In Scotland the Americans that live here that we know are well liked and treated equally with respect like any other person here.

My fiance is American and has NEVER had any trouble.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:27 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,849,914 times
Yes, I am sure. I lived there myself and a Brit told me the same thing.
Of course there are also many Brits who don't feel that way, just like there are Portuguese who love Brazilians. I guess it is more older people who have that resentment.

Old 12-05-2009, 07:20 PM

32,636 posts, read 77,880,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 17271 View Post
I'm so tired of the garbage going on in North America. Out-of-control illegal alien take over, welfare to people who don't work, no morals, no one on the same page, etc. The U.S. is almost gone, and it's more a feeling than anything else. I was just wondering what's the best European country to live in, preferably English-speaking? The U.K.? Northern Ireland? Thanks.
Assuming your user name is representative of your U.S. postal code, then you live in Willow Hill, Pennsylvania, a very rural hamlet outside of Carlisle, which is one of the most pleasant small college-oriented cities in the state, in my opinion. People in the smaller towns of South Central Pennsylvania generally have strong conservative family values, a strong work ethic, and would give you the shirt off their backs in times of peril or crisis. I fail to see how life there could be this "miserable" for you.

With that being said I, too, find it ironic that someone opposed to immigration is seeking to emigrate to another country and become one of their potentially unwanted immigrants. Europe, overall, is one continent that I've long admired and adored, but to pretend that they are immune to the problems that have gripped the United States in recent years is asinine. Much of Europe is also facing recession, higher-than-normal unemployment, illegal immigration, etc. The grass may not necessarily be greener on the other side of the "pond."

Old 12-06-2009, 12:00 PM

19 posts, read 40,353 times
America is a unique country and always will be. It began as a nation for people seeking freedom of choice and those seeking to be free of oppression. It's still the land of opportunity and the legal immigrants who still come looking for a new life find this to be true. I see it in every neighborhood, in every town and in every State where an ethic people settle to live and work with their countrymen and form new groups where nationalities mix. To be an American is more often than not, a mix of many different cultures.

We have had badtimes before; the Civil War, Depression, Assassination's,Financial downfalls and still we recover and the World depends on this.

We have fought in two World Wars on foreign soil and sacrificed many of our finest. I wonder what Europe would be like today if we had stayed out of those wars?

We are all that is good of what Europe has to offer as we have Europe's finest minds living, teaching and doing reseach here. Europe's Arts and artists are given a step-up and have some of their wildest dreams come true.

America is still an immigrants dream is you are worthy. The inscription on the Statue Of Liberty still, to this day, holds true.

I've lived in Europe and cruised around the World and this country is still the melting pot that I'm proud to be a part of and I work hard at being that part.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:26 AM

268 posts, read 880,229 times
Default reaction

I like your opinion. It is a mix of rationalism and a bit of American proud.
We Belgians are not so proud on our nation. We should be, but it is not our habit to be so.

But, you mention: what if the US not helped Europe during World War II?
We don't know! That is just a historcal coïncidence.

What if Columbus had not discovered the American continent?
What if...?

The United States (or North America in total) and Europe need each other. That's a fact, proven during history.
Overcrowded Europe (due to the industrial revolution) "drained" people to America. The new continent was filled and developed by that people.
What if there was no such thing as a Marshallplan? Impact on Europe? Impact on the US?
What if...?

Just keep in mind that the 2 continents need each other.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:09 PM

19 posts, read 40,353 times
Sorry! I didn't mean to appear unmindful of the importence of any part of the World being more important than another. Yes we can ask "What If" until the end of time but in the end, whatever is, is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe