Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 02:47 PM

2,351 posts, read 7,105,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariete View Post
Not anywhere in Spain.
Are you saying Spain doesn't have sunshine ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 02:53 PM

9,962 posts, read 12,409,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermosaa View Post
No the poster saying that Spain doesn't see the sun 365 days of the year.

Old 04-04-2013, 10:19 AM

14,824 posts, read 12,086,560 times
Quote:
The best place would be Spain for me., the culture, traditions.. Nothing beats Spain.Their culture is so rich.. They always have festivities. They have fiestas all over Spain and their Holy Week is really so big. Spanish are not like most Europeans that are a bit uptight. They are considered to be the most party people in the world..plus, their dance is also good and classy.. Language is good too ( for the ones who like Spanish ). Plus of course 365 days of Sunshine .
Easy tiger! I dont think that this is true!

Old 04-04-2013, 12:55 PM

219 posts, read 436,945 times
Old thread from 2009.
FWIW, Switzerland would be the best country to move to, if you can get in (job). Best standard of living, no EU politics or economics to worry about, take your pick of languages. Americans want to bail on the US, but don't want to be bothered to learn another language to enable their escape. Lame, if you ask me.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorbaTheGeek View Post
Old thread from 2009.
FWIW, Switzerland would be the best country to move to, if you can get in (job). Best standard of living, no EU politics or economics to worry about, take your pick of languages. Americans want to bail on the US, but don't want to be bothered to learn another language to enable their escape. Lame, if you ask me.
I agree with the Languages as they speak 3 languages. I heard it is a bit strict like you can't make noise after 9 pm ( tv should be very low , shower is discouraged as it will be noisy to hear the water running )... Is this true ?

Old 04-04-2013, 02:37 PM

4,491 posts, read 6,360,331 times
Quote:
I agree with the Languages as they speak 3 languages. I heard it is a bit strict like you can't make noise after 9 pm ( tv should be very low , shower is discouraged as it will be noisy to hear the water running )... Is this true ?
There is no law which states that you are not allowed to take a shower after 9 pm. In fact there is no law that says anything about a specific hour of the day either.

see Art. 684 ZGB:

Quote:
In exercising their ownership rights, including in particular the right to run a business on his or her land, landowners are obliged to refrain from any excess detrimental to neighbouring properties.

In particular all harmful effects that are not justified by the location and character of the land or by local custom such as air pollution emissions of noxious vapours, noise, vibrations, radiation or the deprivation of sunlight or daylight are prohibited.
It all depends on local customs and the specific apartment. Playing the piano in an otherwise empty office tower? No problem. Doing the same thing next to a baby unit of a hospital? Well, the police would probably show up.

So, taking a shower at 9 pm is definitely okay, as is watching television or even listening to music, as long it's not too loud.

It's pretty much the same law in Austria and Germany.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,996,259 times
Quote:
Not everything revolves around the sun If that was the case, I'd be on the first flight back home to Puerto Rico instead of staying here. I'm sure for P London he'd go back to whatever island his parents came from that probably is pretty close to mine

Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 PM

219 posts, read 436,945 times
Quote:
Common sense and common courtesy are a good rule of thumb. If you're living in an apartment building, you wouldn't bang away on a piano after 9 pm, or blast your stereo system at any hour, would you? Wouldn't you want to be a good neighbor? This isn't so hard to understand, is it?

Old 04-04-2013, 07:26 PM
FBF

601 posts, read 935,563 times
Depends on what you want.

If you want sunshine and warm weather: head to Spain, Italy, Greece, and any other Southern European country.

If you want an economically power driven background: Germany, France, and the UK

If you want beautiful natural wonders: Austria, Germany, Switzerland, and certain Eastern and Northern European countries (Scandinavia)

If you want to have great social safety net programs with very good quality of life (coming with the highest taxes): Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Denmark

My personal choice would be anyone of the Scandinavian countries (except Denmark since I heard that racism is far worse over there compared to the usual Nordic standards). I like the cold winters and cool summers since I dress better wearing winter clothes and I would not mind paying extra taxes if it means free higher education and good social government programs to aide me when I am down on my luck.

Only problem is that I do not know the languages of any one of those countries nor do I have family up there !

Old 04-04-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZorbaTheGeek View Post
Common sense and common courtesy are a good rule of thumb. If you're living in an apartment building, you wouldn't bang away on a piano after 9 pm, or blast your stereo system at any hour, would you? Wouldn't you want to be a good neighbor? This isn't so hard to understand, is it?
I was just talking about watching tv or taking a shower... Playing a piano at night would be very inconsiderate to the neighbours of course.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe