Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:25 PM

5,781 posts, read 11,881,373 times

Advertisements

Since the ratification of the American Constitution in 1788 there have been 17 French constitutions. Additionally, there have been 18 amendments to the current constitution...Since 1958!

Right enough : but all these Constitutions (some very similar, like the 3rd and 4th Republics) have one thing in common : NO AMENDMENT PROTECTING THE FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2010, 02:58 PM

321 posts, read 961,019 times
That's because they don't need one.

I absolutely love the fact that modern countries rewrite their constitutions regularly instead of amending outdated ones. The United States seems to have a sort of "Amish" constitution that needed to be amended for things like women's rights or the fact that black people exist and are here to stay. I don't recall the U.S. constitution mentioning rights for homosexuals or recomposed families either. Maybe that's why there are tens of thousands of extra pages and laws to cover such (what should be) relatively simple matters.

I really believe that every country should write a modern constitution for the 21st century, taking into consideration all of the changes in technology and lifestyles. This would help countries like the U.S. eliminate mention of slaves and such and not be an embarrassment to the rest of the world.

Old 02-20-2010, 06:14 PM

202 posts, read 568,569 times
I stopped believing in our 1st Amendment when the courts upheld the "free speech zones" used whenever GWB stepped out of the White House.

The Constitution and Bill of Rights are meaningless if they aren't applied at all times to every person.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:26 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,755,224 times
Let's stick to discussing France and save the US commentary for the Politics forum, please.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:00 AM

286 posts, read 1,400,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Since the ratification of the American Constitution in 1788 there have been 17 French constitutions. Additionally, there have been 18 amendments to the current constitution...Since 1958!

Right enough : but all these Constitutions (some very similar, like the 3rd and 4th Republics) have one thing in common : NO AMENDMENT PROTECTING THE FREEDOM OF EXPRESSION!
not true at all. what about the "article 11" and "article 19" ?
you can find the freedom of expression in the "préambule" of the constitution. This "préambule" is called "les droits de l'homme et du citoyen" and this "préambule" is and has always been present in each french constitution.

As far as I know, you can say what you want excepted, negationism, racism and everything you can be seen as a call to violence.

Last edited by caseras; 02-21-2010 at 04:22 AM..

Old 02-21-2010, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
millions of immigrants and habitual unemployed and welfare receiving parasite with teen pregnancy or polygamy have been parasiting the system for years.
you comments is racist, even if what you say was true, immigrants are not numerous enough to really create a problem.

Quote:
All these people, it is to be noted, have a very low comfort standard, and all the Americans that are here marvelling about France and its marvellous welfare system, even if on welfare in the States, would be surprised of how poor the living conditions of the disenfranchised are here.
not really, they have theirs, as any other rich nations in the world, especially the ones who have to deal with a mass immigration.

Quote:
The average executive wage is 50K$ a year, and you do quite less with 1 Euro in F than with 1 $ in the US.
that's untrue...

Quote:
Crime is rampant -40% augmentation in the last 5 years-, hoodlums have guns and shoot cops on a daily basis.
40 % of what ? robbery ? where did you find this stat ?
hoodlums have guns and that's why they are hoodlums but they don't shoot cops on a daily basis, what you say is BS, it happens , sure, but that's very rare.

Quote:
In the roughest areas, unemployment reaches 30-40%,
as anywhere else, and France for its size is certainly not the worst place for that.

Quote:
police , firemen trucks are hijacked on a daily basis,and a lot of long term residents are stuck here and live in terror, among them many elderly people.
stop watching TF1 ! A LOF OF no way, some residents are stuck and live in terror, some suburbs are concerned but there are not many.

Quote:
It's true that they have have a lot of vacation time, but what is time without money ?
French people are amongst the richest in the world, and if you would have seen the world, just a bit, you would know it !

Quote:
Go to these French campgrounds in August, it will be an education for you I'm sure...nightmarish.
yes, they will see EUROPE british, dutch, german and.... french, so what's your point ?

Quote:
However France is great if you make over 100K a year, come from old money,but you'll still have to worry about crime....
the crime rate is low in France but since you have never been nowhere it's not something you can see...

what is the expression, the grass is ....
conclusion you overestimate the french problems while it seems you underestimate the problem abroad. what you say can be seen everywhere in the world and even in countries like sweden, UK, US, Germany, etc...

Old 02-21-2010, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcoyoteloco View Post
Boy, those French really make me mad!
For the moment, in this thread, there are few comments from french people, and these comments are not really kind for France.

Quote:
They think their culture is the best, They think their form of government is the best, they think they're better than everyone else, they refuse to speak any other language but their own...

They remind me of...Americans.
they could remind you a lot of people all around the world, people are proud of their nations, proud to live the way they live, it's like that everywhere, but when a nation has got so much attention, it means something.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejiseike View Post
and funny france, best place to live

i would rather live in a city not ment for vacations... like a place you could actually live in.
Because you think there is no such place in France ?

Quote:
the france people see in movies are the nice parts of france, its not like that at all its very very dirty unless you go to the touristy places.
I guess people sweep the places up before making the movie

Living in France, I tend to think the opposite, the french rivieira is really clean for the fall and the winter, and suddenly, when the tourists are back, it's really dirty, the north of France is very clean but there are few tourists.
I can be said for many french parts.

Quote:
well at least thats how it was when we went on our vacation there a couple years ago... might have changed
Not really, it's the same old song since the 50's...

Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,212,114 times
Many Americans have what amounts to a hot button regarding France and the French, and froth and fume at the mere mention of anything French...much less an assertion that it might be better/best.

I think part of the thread problem is that French pride - or anything that seems to confirm it - runs head-on into our own American vanity. There can only be one best and that's us...or rather, U.S. Nothing sets Americans off like claims that usurp our own supposed hammer lock on "bestness."

My own feeling is that 99 percent of the time "best" is just an adolescent-level delusion, and the other 1 percent it is a quality that will exist for a time and can then be reasonable conferred on something else. A lot of huffing and puffing about BS.

As for France itself, I have enjoyed spending time in France, though - oddly perhaps - I enjoyed Marseille more than Paris.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:32 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,212,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrmsd View Post
2100 euroes is what,around 3000 USD? You can live on that in the USA,if your employer offers good health coverage/plans for you and the family. And,depending on the state you live in,your COL and taxes will vary. And,in the US,depending on the size of your family,you will probably receive a decent tax rebate at the end of the year-EIC,child tax credit,etc,etc.

Honestly,it's 6 of one,half dozen of the other,at this point. The US and France each have their strong points. Must we argue about which is better? Both surely have their weaknesses.
Which is what I was pointing out about the person's situation. Returning to the U.S. in and of itself if one is in such a tight condition is not going to be a guaranteed improvement by any means. The "ifs" you point out are very big, and there is much room for disaster on any of those scores.

As for these endless threads about best this, best that in C-D forums they are simply juvenile p*ssing contests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe