Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 05:37 AM

1,693 posts, read 1,531,251 times

Advertisements

Why France is the best place to live in the world - CNN.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 07:56 AM

17 posts, read 91,105 times
good for them, but i do believe that some northern European countries have higher standards of living

Old 02-11-2010, 08:07 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Not surprising. France has an interest in quality of life issues.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:24 AM

4 posts, read 7,690 times
It is a big country (By European standards), and very varied.
I love it, but it depends where.

Overall though, the more relaxed atmosphere, the general disdain for authority, the food, the wine, the history, the scenery, the topless beaches, the art, what's not to like?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:18 AM

54 posts, read 190,107 times
Overall though, the more relaxed atmosphere, the general disdain for authority, the food, the wine, the history, the scenery, the topless beaches, the art, what's not to like?

I'll give something not to like, the FRENCH!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:01 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,324,343 times
This is all based on several precise criteria, especially the national health service, which really is one of the greatest in the world, that's true (though it's slowly changing and getting more expensive for people). Good retirement system too (but the smallish pensions some have makes it hard for many of them to live correctly - and there is no possibility for them to go back to work).
I can tell you that it's not always easy to live there on an everyday basis. Life is quite expensive, there are also lots of taxes. And the "disdain for authority" another poster talked about creates lots of problems. Lots of strikes too, that can become an issue. Racism (almost) all over the place. It's not easy to buy real estate in many areas because it's so expensive, and it's hard to get a loan.
This all may sound cliché, but it really exists and doesn't make life easy when it happens to you...
You can't imagine how many people would love to move abroad to get a better quality of life! (but of course, grass is always greener elsewhere...)
Of course, it's not the worst country in the world, and there are lots of great things about this country. But is it the best? Honestly, it's hard to tell...

(by the way: I'm French)

Last edited by Sudcaro; 02-12-2010 at 07:17 AM..

Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 AM

3,565 posts, read 4,868,898 times
I loved the French.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,877,240 times
IT'S A HOAX, but very appealling to some masochistic Americans (of whom there are a lot on CD).

Old 02-12-2010, 08:24 AM

321 posts, read 960,740 times
One size does not fit all. I love living in France, and I think that it is currently the best place in the world for me to live I love never seeing a bill for health care and getting immediate treatment whenever I need it, I love my 35 hour work week, I love my 10 weeks of annual vacation (yes, most people have only 6-7 weeks), I am very happy with my cheap utilities and excellent food, the fantastic transportation system, and I think it's great that the retirement age is still 60. I like little things like receiving an 8€ luncheon voucher for every day I work and all of the vacation vouchers that I can spend like cash and yet pay only 70% of the value. I like the fact that my company refunds 400€ of the money that I spend on cultural or sporting events every year and also refunds 30% of everything I pay for books or CD's up to 1000€ of expenses. It's one of the reasons that when people ask me "how much do they pay you?" the question is impossible to answer. Same thing for taxes, since I can deduct 50% of anything I pay for housecleaning, computer repairs, tutoring for my children or any other "personal services" up to a ceiling of 15,000€. If I give anything to charity, 60% is also deducted from my income tax.

However, there are lots of little constraints and annoying details that would drive a lot of people crazy, and they would probably hate living in France. In any case, that survey is of the readers of an extremely Europhile and affluent travel publication, so as far as I'm concerned it has no validity whatsoever.

Once I stop working, strange, but I am considering moving to Thailand, Vietnam, Laos or Cambodia to spend the remainder of my life and yet none of those is a paradise by any calculation (then again, my French benefits will cover quite a bit of anything I need in those countries in terms of health services or whatever).

Old 02-12-2010, 10:38 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euroguide View Post
It is a big country (By European standards), and very varied.
I love it, but it depends where.

The disdain for authority. I appreciate the French going into the streets to protest against unpopular policies. The remarkable part is that the groups are usually of all kinds of French people; workers, students, professionals, etc.
Another thing which I noticed about daily life is not so many stressed and uptight people. The scenery is great and so are the towns and villages. It seems the French value the appearance of their immediate surroundings.
Also, I like that they don't inquire what the other does for a living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe