Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2021, 11:17 AM

10,352 posts, read 8,578,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
You disagree that makeup isn’t a drug that biologically affects your body & mood? Um..Ok.
Do you have an understanding problem or just plain stubborn?
I said make up can change a mood. I didn’t say make up was a drug.
Why does the fda have regulations on make up?
Are you saying no make up product contains any drug whatsoever? How about facial and skin care creams and hair dyes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2021, 07:43 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,389,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Do you have an understanding problem or just plain stubborn?
I said make up can change a mood. I didn’t say make up was a drug.
Why does the fda have regulations on make up?
Are you saying no make up product contains any drug whatsoever? How about facial and skin care creams and hair dyes?
You're seriously comparing the health impact of steroids (that are ingested or injected internally) to makeup and hair dyes that are applied to the exterior of the body? And you think the chemical composition of makeup is potentially as detrimental as steroids?

The two can alter your appearance...but steroids PHYSICALLY change your body -that's the whole point - bigger, stronger, leaner. About the most makeup can do is contour - and that's by changing the way light reflects off your skin.

Sorry, you want to make them out to be the same things but they most definitely are not. :thin k:

Old 02-18-2021, 08:05 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,641,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Yes but at a certain age putting muscle on is harder and definitely not as easily accomplished in a few months.
That entirely depends what level of fitness you're in. In 2016 I was benching 265 pounds -- a personal record -- after starting weight lifting at age 19, around 14 years earlier roughly. I'm tired, math might be a year off. I managed to do 275 over the next few years, but that was it. Then just shy of my 38th birthday this past year, I went on a streak -- 15 weeks in a row setting new records. It was lame at first, 276, 277, then 280, but then it was 285, and pretty soon I benched a lifelong goal of 300 pounds and didn't stop there. Next week 301, then 302, then screw it 305 and succeeded again, finally 306. Suddenly I was doing 275 like it was expected, there was never any doubt I'd do the rep at all, it was just another rung on the way to my 300+ max attempt. Why all of the sudden at age 37-38 would I gain a fairly large amount of strength? My biceps went from always somewhere in the 15" range to 16.4", every measure of my strength increased.

I understand it's a very comfy narrative that somehow as a guy, your peak strength is in college, then it's all downhill from there. But that's really not actually true. First of all, peak testosterone is age 30, so it would be surprising -- and poor training -- if you're not able (if you want) to bench more and be stronger at 30 than you were at 20. I didn't have the strength in my tendons and ligaments, the training experience, to be that strong in my early 20s. I just couldn't do it no matter how hard I tried. And when I was 22 or so, I was religious about everything, most weeks didn't drink anything but maybe occasional nights I'd drink, diet was extremely strict, working out never missed a beat. I'd love to give some sort of politically correct version of events last year, but in actual reality I drank heavily every Thursday night (I don't work out on Fridays), then avoided alcohol the other days of the week, my diet was often iffy, like some days great, some days Chick-Fil-A is awesome, or Dominos sounds nice, and there were times I stayed up too late working and was tired on my personal record attempts. Somehow, no matter how much I thought I screwed the pooch that week, I can't set another record because 1) I'm tired, 2) I'm stressed, or 3) I didn't eat well enough yesterday, I did it anyway. I cannot give a great explanation of that at all, because from 2017 through 2019 I was trying extremely hard to set new records -- I actually didn't drink at all in 2016 and once or twice the entire year in 2017 and 2018. Then when I started drinking more regularly, suddenly I'm crushing records. Obviously, as I said, not a PC thing to say, but I roll my eyes when I read something about alcohol killing 1) Testosterone, 2) Strength, 3) Ruining your fitness. What do I know, maybe that's true of some people, sure didn't have ANY impact on me at all.

So after age 30, you supposedly lose about 1% testosterone per year, but that's again simply an average, probably it's higher for some, lower for others. That also ignores the fact that muscle itself creates testosterone, so if you're building muscle after age 30 then you're growing your available testosterone. All that's decreasing is your "theoretical limit," but unless you've reached your absolute biological potential by age 30, you can easily be gaining both muscle and testosterone well after that mark. The other simple fact is that aging and "maximum potential" are about as close to irrelevant as possible for any guy in their 30s or 40s. Sure, take two guys who train PERFECTLY, one is 30, and one is 40, there's no doubt the 30-year-old should be able to be a little stronger. That difference, however, is going to be minor. I feel like the average American thinks you fall off a cliff (because they did) and somehow age 40 means you're half as strong. It actually probably means you're 90-95% as strong provided equal levels of training. Now, in the real world, the 30-year-old me was very educated in health and fitness, but didn't experiment enough, didn't read quite enough of the literature, and therefore couldn't lift as much as near-40-year-old me. In the real world, I actually have more time to focus on fitness now than I did at age 30. I was struggling to keep my company afloat then, whereas now I've stepped away from day-to-day responsibilities and yet I make way more money doing very little. That frees me up to make fitness my priority.

Now, you take a celebrity, it's very much the same thing. I'm not the average American (no kids, no financial struggles, abundant free time), and neither are they but their advantages over me are immense. I have to basically read a bunch of articles, maybe watch some YouTube videos, and do a half-decent job of eating well -- which is mainly just making sure to get my 100 grams of protein daily. THEY, on the other hand, are given a personal trainer or two (maybe one for fitness, another for sword fighting or martial arts or something specific), a dietitian, and are being paid so much money that it IS their job, there is zero guilt in spending 8 hours per day on some mix of diet, stretching, resistance training, cardio, and one or more specific skills. That is an ENORMOUS advantage over you and I, over anyone. You can absolutely pack on muscle fast and get a crazy physique if it's literally all you do. I'm sure every nutritional advantage to recuperation is undertaken, too, like for instance I have used tart cherry capsules to reduce inflammation (proven in many peer reviewed studies) and speed recovery on joints and ligaments, so imagine if instead of my "it works well enough" schedule where I do every muscle group once a week except legs twice, they could make a routine where they hit every single muscle group with 48 hour rest periods. Monday could be back, biceps, and legs, while Tuesday could be chest, triceps, and shoulders, then Wednesday they hit back, biceps, and legs yet again. They could have the energy for that by doing morning / late afternoon workouts, say splitting legs into the late afternoon on Monday / Wednesday. I mean, if it weren't just for my health and because I want to be strong, but it was my actual job, I'd be doing the same thing. I just want to have a life, too, and I think the 10 hours I devote per week to fitness is sufficient for my purposes. I can look and feel great at that level. But if you told me I need to be in PEAK shape to be shirtless in a movie that 50 million people will see? Yeah, I'm going to alter my routine.

Old 02-18-2021, 08:24 AM

2,234 posts, read 2,407,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Both are pretty much fakeness, that is meant to give the user a leg-up, by enhancing appearance.
Steroids will have dangerous effects on your physical and mental health... There's nothing dangerous about makeup... It's fun and just enhances your looks. I can't even imagine comparing the two.

Old 02-19-2021, 08:05 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,721,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
Steroids will have dangerous effects on your physical and mental health... There's nothing dangerous about makeup... It's fun and just enhances your looks. I can't even imagine comparing the two.
what is dangerout about steroids? its just a method of changing your appearance using outside assistance of some sort. of course, its different than makeup as its application method and way it works is different. but i see it as pretty much achieving the same result. steroids arent dangerous if used properly. they just raise your testosterone level.

Old 02-19-2021, 11:59 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
what is dangerout about steroids? its just a method of changing your appearance using outside assistance of some sort. of course, its different than makeup as its application method and way it works is different. but i see it as pretty much achieving the same result. steroids arent dangerous if used properly. they just raise your testosterone level.
Hair. They destroy hair. Men and women. I don't name names for the women as this has to be hard for them, but I could give you a list of professional female bodybuilders that wear wigs and are bald. One is bald on her Instagram, has a tattooed head and displays it proudly.

Pro bodybuilding men have to take propecia and other drugs, Rogaine, do hair transplants, along with their standard drug use to try to combat hairloss and if they have too much of the genetics indicating hair loss, it is a lost cause.

Okay. This is steroid use in general and heavy use. Look up Tom Prince, Flex Wheeler, Mike Mazorotto, Dallas Mccarver and google professional bodybuilders that have died from kidney failure, heart attacks. Dallas Mccarver had a beautiful physique at age 26 and was described as having the organs of an 80 year old man. He died at 26. All these guys were physically beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Tom Prince was a marvel.

Steroids used properly, as in very small amounts - you'll have the hair issues, that is about it probably.

I don't know or care how much steroid usage celebrities do, or if they do, but they would also have to be taking the drugs to save their hair.

Old 02-19-2021, 12:42 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post
Okay. This is steroid use in general and heavy use. Look up Tom Prince, Flex Wheeler, Mike Mazorotto, Dallas Mccarver and google professional bodybuilders that have died from kidney failure, heart attacks. Dallas Mccarver had a beautiful physique at age 26 and was described as having the organs of an 80 year old man. He died at 26. All these guys were physically beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Tom Prince was a marvel.
One name: Andreas Munzer.

--

Old 02-19-2021, 12:52 PM

1,386 posts, read 1,001,152 times
When it comes to Hugh Jackman, I don't know. I think he maintains a muscular physique, but when he does a shirts-off, muscular scene from something like Wolverine, that's a combination of being jacked and being VERY low body fat.

And he times that very carefully, like, to the day. Because normal people can't look like that all the time. I read a story about when he was doing a Wolverine movie, and he was planning on a certain day to do the crucial, jacked, shirts off scene. Based on his routine, that's when he would be his leanest. The producers wanted to change the day. He told them he wouldn't change the day for that scene, because that's the day he'd be ready. He had it planned for the exact day.

And if you look at him in one of those scenes, he isn't huge, like the Rock. He's just JACKED. Very muscular and VERY lean.

--

Old 02-19-2021, 02:54 PM

2,761 posts, read 2,232,180 times
I don't at all. However the general public who aren't regular gymgoers are gullible enough to believe having a personal trainer, chef, 'supplements', and not having a FT job are enough to have a physique that could grace a Fitness magazine.

I love the honest opinion of this actor who trained for an upcoming superhero movie. https://globalnews.ca/news/6316287/k...i-body-change/

Natural or not? https://news.yahoo.com/marvel-eterna...150709114.html

Old 02-19-2021, 03:09 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,462,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill790 View Post
When it comes to Hugh Jackman, I don't know. I think he maintains a muscular physique, but when he does a shirts-off, muscular scene from something like Wolverine, that's a combination of being jacked and being VERY low body fat.

And he times that very carefully, like, to the day. Because normal people can't look like that all the time. I read a story about when he was doing a Wolverine movie, and he was planning on a certain day to do the crucial, jacked, shirts off scene. Based on his routine, that's when he would be his leanest. The producers wanted to change the day. He told them he wouldn't change the day for that scene, because that's the day he'd be ready. He had it planned for the exact day.

And if you look at him in one of those scenes, he isn't huge, like the Rock. He's just JACKED. Very muscular and VERY lean.

--
Bodyfat. It's all about the diet. Working out and building muscle of course, but the diet displays the results. I am a small girl and a natural athlete. I have done fitness modeling and when friends ask to see pictures, they get those pictures. They comment on how feminine they look. It is because they are off-season pictures. When they see competition pictures, they say "is that you?" and wonder how I got so big all of a sudden. That is the diet and dehydration. It is unattainable to stay that way but boy does it change your look. An anatomy chart shows a normal person with no skin or fat and all you see is muscle. That is the purpose of the months of dieting and peaking for a contest is to become like an anatomy chart. As. A female, I prefer not such a lean look. It doesn't look feminine, but like training for a marathon or any sport, the end result of "not ordinary" is the goal. Natural male bodybuilders or physique athletes look pretty unreal when peaking for a show. No drugs needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness