Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2014, 03:57 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieOlSkool View Post
Exactly libre. You nailed it. These people are setting up strawman arguments wherein they claimed we think celebs are lazy and don't do jack, and then somehow they refute an argument we never made.

You can nail your macros all you want, sleep 12 hours a day, have a personal trainer, a nutritionist, and have millions of dollars, and in 3 months you won't make the progress Ed Norton did without "assistance." You guys who think all it takes is doing everything right and things happen magically have very little knowledge of physiology.

Chris Hemsworth gained an insane amount of muscle even pro bodybuilders (who are on the juice) wish they could gain. If even a pro bodybuilder can't do that, you really need to rethink the human body. Ok, Chris Hemsworth is a "beast" naturally. Which is why before Thor he was just a skinny twig.
Chris Hemsworth has the genetic potential, just because he didn't take advantage of it until recently doesn't mean it wasn't always there.

And multiple people have already mentioned but it bears repeating, these movie stars started way in advance. You can achieve a hell of a lot in one year if you fully dedicate yourself to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2014, 04:25 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,845,569 times
Quote:
I find it so odd that everyone willingly accepts the fact that celebrities can be hopped up on drugs just to simply exist, yet I feel that whenever I mention that actors may very well use weight loss drugs or steroids to be in shape for roles they scoff as if they believed that celebrities are all of a sudden moral authorities and that they would never do things THAT way.

To be fair I don't think steroids or other illegal aides in body composition goals are immoral. I believe if someone has the resources to buy steroids, they can do whatever they want with their body.

However, if you look at how jacked Hugh Jackman gets for his roles so quickly, or how fast middle aged Ben Affleck is in shape for Batman, you really wonder what is stopping them from using illegal drugs to get in shape? If Hollywood actors are able to use drugs like cocaine and heroin I see no reason why steroids or other illegal body composition enhancing drugs would be out of reach or "wrong" to them. I remember back when The Office was on and how quickly a truly pregnant Jenna Fischer (Pam Halpert) lost so much weight post-baby. I was talking about this with someone and their response was "well celebs can afford all the personal training in the world so this is why". Of course they can and do, but I also don't see what is so far-fetched about celebs getting in shape in lightning fast time by simply just "eating right and exercising". Especially middle aged celebrities. All people 35 and up know for a fact it is no fast process to lose weight.

Anyway, I just wonder what you guys think about this.

P.S. Before anyone starts to argue with me about the meaning of "natural", I realize androgenic anabolic steroids are made from natural compounds. I meant "natural" (and I put quotes for a reason) in the sense that organizations that ban drugs such as steroids call "natural".
I am not aware of the bold face. I do not care for Hugh Jackman or Ben Affleck and so have never seen the transformation you mention. Have no idea who Jenna/Pam is.

What I think? Other than Stallone who makes no secret of using TRT I do not know any older, 45 plus actor who looks impressively muscular. Tom Cruise is very fit but not outrageously so. The folks over at Anabolicminds.com mentioned that Wahlberg was obviously putting on water weight(Creatine?) for that BB dark spoof he did. Whatever it was called. I imagine Dwayne Johnson has been weight training at some level or another for most of his post-adolescent life. I believe it is easier to retain and gain anew the longer one trains. I think he has not yet hit middle age yet when hormones begin to shift.

I guess young guys in their 20s and early 30s can do it but I do not know as I did not lift weights until my 40s so I have no frame of reference.

Also, I do not know enough about the different types of training. I understand one can focus on size or strength. I focus on strength and size is what we see on the screen. As for low BF....I do know it is possible to achieve quickly even in post age 45 males with minimal loss of muscle.

So much of what we see on screen is fabricated that I do not trust my eyes as to what I am seeing. I mean as it may be digitally created or enhanced.

Last edited by Felix C; 11-09-2014 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 09:47 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Quote:
And multiple people have already mentioned but it bears repeating, these movie stars started way in advance. You can achieve a hell of a lot in one year if you fully dedicate yourself to it.
No, you can't. They don't even have that long sometimes. But even if they did, to achieve something like they do in a year without any extra help is just ultimate denial. They don't always do steroids, there are other PEDs out there. Their time requires no mistakes, injuries or wasted excercises. They need results so their trainers target what they need to hit most, their nutritionists feed them right, all this is true but even with all that, in a year they couldn't pull off that look totally natural.

Especially Christian Bale pre-Batman or Hugh Jackman pre-Wolverine.

Old 11-10-2014, 02:40 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,064,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Chris Hemsworth has the genetic potential, just because he didn't take advantage of it until recently doesn't mean it wasn't always there.
And you know this...how? Did you test him genetically? Are you his mother or father or do you somehow know his ancestors were a long line of bodybuilders?

Quote:
Uh huh. Which is why roided up bodybuilders can't even put on 20 lb. in a year like these other guys have. Unless everyone in Hollywood is making newb gains, but that's pretty suspect for men who are way past their prime.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
And you know this...how? Did you test him genetically? Are you his mother or father or do you somehow know his ancestors were a long line of bodybuilders?

Uh huh. Which is why roided up bodybuilders can't even put on 20 lb. in a year like these other guys have. Unless everyone in Hollywood is making newb gains, but that's pretty suspect for men who are way past their prime.
Hemsworth is past his prime? lol. No you can just look at him, he's 6'3'' and has big broad shoulders, just naturally a big guy/mesomorph. Some people are, some people aren't. Some people can build muscle really quickly if they work out a lot and eat a lot. Also the camera adds 10 pounds.

Last edited by tofur; 11-10-2014 at 05:58 PM..

Old 11-10-2014, 06:30 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Oh c'mon. That's your criteria? We tend to judge before and after pics and go by their own admited timeline. There's just no way without some added PEDs.

Why is it important for you to maintain this idea that they can do these amazing feats? Some of us here prefer to dispel the Hollywood myths so that people can expect realistic goals going natural instead of thinking that if chris hemsworth can do it in a year so can I.

Old 11-12-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofur View Post
Hemsworth is past his prime? lol.
The man is 31, not exactly the testosterone level of a teenager.

Quote:
No you can just look at him, he's 6'3''
Height does not affect muscular potential. In fact, if it did, Mr. Olympias wouldn't all be under 6'0 (except Arnold).

Quote:
and has big broad shoulders,
Uh..., uwotm8?

moderator cut: image removed

Yeah, big and broad shoulders.

Quote:
just naturally a big guy/mesomorph.
Do you even KNOW what a mesomorph is? Hemsworth is a classic long limbed, long torso ectomorph.

And what is this about him being a naturally big guy?

moderator cut: image removed

Yeah man, beast mode ON.

I mean I guess vertically the guy is "big". Not sure how his frame makes him a big guy other than that, though.

Quote:
Some people are, some people aren't. Some people can build muscle really quickly if they work out a lot and eat a lot. Also the camera adds 10 pounds.
Yeah, and those "some people" aren't White guys in their 30s who have ectomorphic frames. What exactly about Chris Hemsworth screams "massive muscular potential" to you???

Also, you say "build muscle really quickly". You are aware that Chris Hemsworth was already working out before Thor, right? You don't look like the skinny version of him without working out. If you honestly believe that Chris Hemsworth before doing Thor had never worked out you are really gullible. "Work out and eat a lot" doesn't put that much muscle on unless it comes with a healthy helping of fat gain, too. Dude's body fat percentage stayed the same while he put on like 20 lb. of muscle. Unreal, and if you believe that's natural for a guy in his late 20s, I have oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.

Last edited by Marka; 11-15-2014 at 02:56 AM..

Old 11-12-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99
Why is it important for you to maintain this idea that they can do these amazing feats?
Because some people want to believe that they can find that magical workout program and eating regimen that will put on that much size on them.

Here, I'll cut out the middle man for ya and give you the plan.

Eat 6000 calories a day, 2-3 g of protein per lb. of bodyweight, keep fat under 100 grams a day, eat only brown rice and broccoli as your carbs (substitute yams for brown rice every other day), don't season your meat, boil your chicken, eat mostly chicken and turkey without skin, and eat 6 times a day. Carry a cooler with all your meals so you don't go catabolic. Actually, forget chicken, eat elk meat and bison. They are game meats thus more alpha and paleo friendly. For fruit I would add bananas for potassium as it helps against water retention. But not too many, you don't want all that FRUCTOSE to turn into fat. For breakfast eat steel cut oatmeal.

Now, go and workout twice a day. Here is the routine:

Monday AM:
Quads and Hams

Monday PM:
Chest and Tris

Tuesday AM:
Back and Traps

Tuesday PM:
Calves and Abs

Wednesday AM:
Bis and Shoulders

Wednesday PM:
Quads and Hams

Thursday AM:
Chest and Tris

Thursday PM:
Back and Traps

Friday AM:
Calves and Abs

Friday PM:
Bis and Shoulders

Saturday AM:
Quads and Hams

Saturday PM:
Chest and Tris

Sunday: Rest

Now, add in 10-12 hours of sleep every night, make sure to take 10g of Fish Oil every day. Take BCAA's before your workout, and not a second after the weight hits the floor on your last set, drink a protein shake. Eat Cottage Cheese for Casein Protein every night. Take ZMA before bed. If progress stalls, add in some Waxy Maize for your pre-workout shake in addition to BCAA's. As far as protein shakes go, I prefer Muscle Tech.

What else am I leaving out? Drink 1-2 gallons of water a day, as this keeps your metabolism revving. Combine this with eating 6 times a day and you won't put on any fat. In fact, you will probably lose fat even though you are in a caloric excess. Also, make sure not to eat carbs after 2 pm because your body knows what time it is and will convert all of those carbs into extra fat no matter how fast your metabolism got from eating 6x a day and drinking so much water you want to urinate while you're already urinating.

I think that's it for now. Be sure to do all sets of your workout to failure and don't count reps, just go by the feel, bro. Work out for the sole purpose of getting a pump. Flex after every workout. Don't stretch as this makes you weak. Make sure that on Leg Day you do Squats and if you don't, you're a PU55Y. Bench is the most important lift. Arms are the most important body part because those rip your shirts. If you are trying to lean out, do all of the above but add in some 45 minutes of walking every day, take a fat burner, and lift light for like 20-30 reps on all sets.

Do the above and I promise you will put on at least 20 lb. of muscle this year no matter how old you are.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Because some people want to believe that they can find that magical workout program and eating regimen that will put on that much size on them.

Here, I'll cut out the middle man for ya and give you the plan.

Eat 6000 calories a day, 2-3 g of protein per lb. of bodyweight, keep fat under 100 grams a day, eat only brown rice and broccoli as your carbs (substitute yams for brown rice every other day), don't season your meat, boil your chicken, eat mostly chicken and turkey without skin, and eat 6 times a day. Carry a cooler with all your meals so you don't go catabolic. Actually, forget chicken, eat elk meat and bison. They are game meats thus more alpha and paleo friendly. For fruit I would add bananas for potassium as it helps against water retention. But not too many, you don't want all that FRUCTOSE to turn into fat. For breakfast eat steel cut oatmeal.

Now, go and workout twice a day. Here is the routine:

Monday AM:
Quads and Hams

Monday PM:
Chest and Tris

Tuesday AM:
Back and Traps

Tuesday PM:
Calves and Abs

Wednesday AM:
Bis and Shoulders

Wednesday PM:
Quads and Hams

Thursday AM:
Chest and Tris

Thursday PM:
Back and Traps

Friday AM:
Calves and Abs

Friday PM:
Bis and Shoulders

Saturday AM:
Quads and Hams

Saturday PM:
Chest and Tris

Sunday: Rest

Now, add in 10-12 hours of sleep every night, make sure to take 10g of Fish Oil every day. Take BCAA's before your workout, and not a second after the weight hits the floor on your last set, drink a protein shake. Eat Cottage Cheese for Casein Protein every night. Take ZMA before bed. If progress stalls, add in some Waxy Maize for your pre-workout shake in addition to BCAA's. As far as protein shakes go, I prefer Muscle Tech.

What else am I leaving out? Drink 1-2 gallons of water a day, as this keeps your metabolism revving. Combine this with eating 6 times a day and you won't put on any fat. In fact, you will probably lose fat even though you are in a caloric excess. Also, make sure not to eat carbs after 2 pm because your body knows what time it is and will convert all of those carbs into extra fat no matter how fast your metabolism got from eating 6x a day and drinking so much water you want to urinate while you're already urinating.

I think that's it for now. Be sure to do all sets of your workout to failure and don't count reps, just go by the feel, bro. Work out for the sole purpose of getting a pump. Flex after every workout. Don't stretch as this makes you weak. Make sure that on Leg Day you do Squats and if you don't, you're a PU55Y. Bench is the most important lift. Arms are the most important body part because those rip your shirts. If you are trying to lean out, do all of the above but add in some 45 minutes of walking every day, take a fat burner, and lift light for like 20-30 reps on all sets.

Do the above and I promise you will put on at least 20 lb. of muscle this year no matter how old you are.
So much broscience in this post. Revving metabolism, don't eat carbs after 2pm, eat 6x a day, weight lifting 2x a day... jesus dude. You are a drone of the fitness industry.

Old 11-14-2014, 10:06 AM

Quote:
The man is 31, not exactly the testosterone level of a teenager.

Height does not affect muscular potential. In fact, if it did, Mr. Olympias wouldn't all be under 6'0 (except Arnold).

Uh..., uwotm8?

Yeah, big and broad shoulders.

Do you even KNOW what a mesomorph is? Hemsworth is a classic long limbed, long torso ectomorph.

And what is this about him being a naturally big guy?

Yeah man, beast mode ON.

I mean I guess vertically the guy is "big". Not sure how his frame makes him a big guy other than that, though.

Yeah, and those "some people" aren't White guys in their 30s who have ectomorphic frames. What exactly about Chris Hemsworth screams "massive muscular potential" to you???

Also, you say "build muscle really quickly". You are aware that Chris Hemsworth was already working out before Thor, right? You don't look like the skinny version of him without working out. If you honestly believe that Chris Hemsworth before doing Thor had never worked out you are really gullible. "Work out and eat a lot" doesn't put that much muscle on unless it comes with a healthy helping of fat gain, too. Dude's body fat percentage stayed the same while he put on like 20 lb. of muscle. Unreal, and if you believe that's natural for a guy in his late 20s, I have oceanfront property in Nebraska to sell you.
Nice, using pictures from when he was a teenager to prove your point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness