Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:12 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeendonuts View Post
Where did I say women will get big or gain muscle like men? Show me where I said that

I--I never said other women--am personally prone to gaining muscle and looking bulky and stocky. That is why I gain muscle and why many women like Tracy Anderson.

I don't care what your girlfriend does, as it doesn't pertain to me or my body
You may think that, but scientifically you will never be considered "bulky." Women just don't put on muscle like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2014, 06:30 PM

877 posts, read 1,317,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
You may think that, but scientifically you will never be considered "bulky." Women just don't put on muscle like that.
I'm short and like I said, everything shows. My mom has a similar body. She's always had a muscular body and was even a body builder in her younger years.

I myself do not like the appearance of muscular legs of myself. I like dainty and delicate. Therefore I run long distance, I alternate between pilates and bikram yoga.

I don't follow her advice, I said I like it. Why? Because her advice is for women who don't want to bulk up, such as myself.

People are entitled to their preferences or to dislike her yadda yadda, but that doesn't mean their opinions are any more valid that her opinions or methods of teaching

Old 10-30-2014, 07:32 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmedes2 View Post
None of those people have different muscle. They have varying amounts of muscle mass and fat mass; no one has "lean muscle." Or, rather, everyone has varying amounts of lean muscle and varying amounts of fat covering it. Everyone's body might show that muscle differently as depending on their builds; tall, lanky people will tend to not look big and bulky while shorter, stockier people will tend to look bulkier. It's more illusion than anything else.

But there is no such thing as lean muscle vs bulky muscle vs ripped muscle
Really, so why is it that linemen or tight end football players who are 6'4" bulky when their quaterback, receivers, cornerback or running back teammates are fairly lean and shorter? Obviously there are deviations from the norm but there are naturally bulky taller people and petite lanky people too. My father and I are taller but bulkier while my mother looks bulkier because of her height. There's a lot of variables such as genetics and how you train. If you are looking to get leaner and shredded, you look to lower weights at high reps AND cardio but if you look to get big, it's higher weights at low reps. Will taller people look lankier and shorter people look bulkier, yes but there's a lot more going on.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:13 PM

483 posts, read 692,102 times
Don't know about the steroids but a few years ago, some celebrity trainers fessed up in a magazine article, without naming names. They said, any of those articles where you read some inane celebrity female babbling about how she never goes to the gym, she just "runs around after her kids" and that keeps the weight off... if you ever wondered why "running around after your kids" was your only exercise and you stayed tubby, that's because it's a lie, that lady is killing herself at the gym. Ditto for lady celebrities you find prosing on about their "sensible meals", chicken, salad, baked potatoes blah-de-blah... one such trainer said one of those "I eat sensible meals" women, he knew for a fact all but lived on 0% fat gummy candies. One of the "balance in everything, I'm not obsessed with the gym" women, her trainer outed as going to the gym every day including on Christmas and the lady's birthday. They do have some advantages we don't, Oprah can pay a nutritionist to follow her around and smack cheeseburgers and fries out of her mouth if that's what she wants, but no, the laws of biology and physics aren't suspended for famous people.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:31 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,140,553 times
I don't believe all those celebs aged 35+ are having healthy babies the natural way. Test tubes and egg donors, anyone?

Old 10-30-2014, 11:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,306,020 times
Most people don't see the work and sacrifice that celebrities put in. They work incredibly hard and are disciplined with regard to their diet. They may smoke and do drugs but when it comes to eating and their workout regimen, they are very disciplined. They don't consume food like regular people. They are on strict diets. Most of have professional chefs and trainers. They never eat fast food. They don't drink sodas and eat chips. Their diets are incredibly strict. The celebrities I knew ate very clean with a south beach style diet with mostly salads and lean meat. They also worked out for a minimum of 2 hours daily and were disciplined with this. And their workouts aren't like our workouts. They have a professional trainer who pushes them. And they will often do "light" workouts like run for 2-3 miles, do yoga and swim for fun in addition their scheduled 2 hour workouts.

People are jealous and want to assume that celebrities look the way they do because of plastic surgery. Well regular folks get plastic surgery too and they don't look like celebrities because they don't have the same discpline with regard to diet and exercise that celebrities do.

Hugh Jackman probably used steroids but you don't get that body using steroids alone. For one thing, steroids will just add to muscle mass. If you don't eat clean, you will just get large with a lot of fat. Jackman ate extremely discplined. His workout regimen was intense. This is what they do for a living so he can afford to workout 3-4 hours daily with a trainer and eat every 4 hours. A lot of people are jealous and say "Oh he just used steroids" You could use steroids too but you won't look like Jackman because you don't have the discipline or work ethic to do the other 90% of what it took to get that body.

You have to remember. This is part of their livelihood. They are in front of the camera for a living so if they don't look good, they don't work. They are not like you in that you have a full time job and your appearance has no real impact on whether you retain your job.

Another thing, a lot of the skinny models work out. A lot of ladies like to imagine that skinny models just binge and purge and use drugs to stay skinny. Sorry but waif models are a thing of the past. Models today work out and even the skinny ones are extremely tone and they don't get that way by eating fat free gummy bears alone. They work incredibly hard on their bodies.

Last edited by azriverfan.; 10-30-2014 at 11:27 PM..

Old 10-30-2014, 11:50 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,018,617 times
Why did you have to bring out the "jealousy" card? That is so ridiculous. Yes, I am sure a lot eat very healthy as healthier food is usually better food and at that income your taste buds change significantly as you have access to better quality food. I am a young urban professional with a decent salary, no where near rich, but even I shop at Whole Foods and cook good healthy food. I wouldn't go back to the fast food or junk stuff I ate as a poor teen ever. So food and diet would not be an issue.

What everyone here is saying that it's next to impossible for these stars to bulk up so fast for roles at their age. It's NOT natural. Working out six hours at the gym for five days or what not doesn't mean jack. That would be overworking your muscles. That would be counterproductive. The natural way means patience, it means taking time to build yourself a new body. For Christian Bale to go from the skinny mess he was in The Machinist to the muscle bound hulk in Batman Begins in six months or even a year is next to impossible without some juice or something like it.

I think perhaps you're suffering from a case of celebrity worship and have this delusional idea that anyone who is actually at the top got there for a good reason and therefore they must work really hard to do X Y or Z. Look I am sorry but I live in LA and it's like working at your favorite fast food restaurant; you get to see how the food is made. You pretty much find out that most of the stuff out there is pure industry drivel meant to sell an image.

Some work hard, actually I should say that a lot do work hard to maintain their bodies, but there are just as many more that don't. A big number don't. Why does this upset you and again why did you have to bring out that cheap old faux argument of "you're just jealous"?

Old 10-31-2014, 07:14 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,639,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Why did you have to bring out the "jealousy" card? That is so ridiculous. Yes, I am sure a lot eat very healthy as healthier food is usually better food and at that income your taste buds change significantly as you have access to better quality food. I am a young urban professional with a decent salary, no where near rich, but even I shop at Whole Foods and cook good healthy food. I wouldn't go back to the fast food or junk stuff I ate as a poor teen ever. So food and diet would not be an issue.

What everyone here is saying that it's next to impossible for these stars to bulk up so fast for roles at their age. It's NOT natural. Working out six hours at the gym for five days or what not doesn't mean jack. That would be overworking your muscles. That would be counterproductive. The natural way means patience, it means taking time to build yourself a new body. For Christian Bale to go from the skinny mess he was in The Machinist to the muscle bound hulk in Batman Begins in six months or even a year is next to impossible without some juice or something like it.

I think perhaps you're suffering from a case of celebrity worship and have this delusional idea that anyone who is actually at the top got there for a good reason and therefore they must work really hard to do X Y or Z. Look I am sorry but I live in LA and it's like working at your favorite fast food restaurant; you get to see how the food is made. You pretty much find out that most of the stuff out there is pure industry drivel meant to sell an image.

Some work hard, actually I should say that a lot do work hard to maintain their bodies, but there are just as many more that don't. A big number don't. Why does this upset you and again why did you have to bring out that cheap old faux argument of "you're just jealous"?
You should go back and read king gambits post, he explained it. They aren't getting ripped in a few months, they start WAY in advance. Like, a year or two in advance. And it's not impossible at all, I don't know why you say that. Most of these guys are genetically predisposed to being big. You don't see Andy Garfield/toby maguire types getting super big, they get big for their frame. Chris Hemsworth is a beast naturally, so when he hits the weight room and kitchen hard he gets massive.

The difference with these people is they nail their macro's and gym work 100% for months on end. Most people don't do that, so they can't imagine what a difference it makes.

Chris Pratt did his transformation in 6 months, and he already had some muscle mass to begin with and is more endomorphic. He was mostly about losing fat though.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:33 AM

14,375 posts, read 18,385,483 times
They're paid very well to look good. Working out and eating right are part of their job description.

If you gave me 3 weeks with no responsibilities other than working out and eating right, I'd be in phenomenal shape even though I'm a couch potato right now. I know this because I made just such a transformation once during a family emergency that required me to do a lot of heavy physical labor. And, come to think of it, I wasn't watching my diet then at all and was just eating tons of junk food because I had no time to cook. Yet I had complete strangers coming up to me demanding to know where I worked out.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
They're paid very well to look good. Working out and eating right are part of their job description.

If you gave me 3 weeks with no responsibilities other than working out and eating right, I'd be in phenomenal shape even though I'm a couch potato right now. I know this because I made just such a transformation once during a family emergency that required me to do a lot of heavy physical labor. And, come to think of it, I wasn't watching my diet then at all and was just eating tons of junk food because I had no time to cook. Yet I had complete strangers coming up to me demanding to know where I worked out.
You would be in better shape yes, but you still wouldn't look like them. You need drugs to do that. It is a concoction of growth hormone, testosterone, fat burners, insulin, and possibly some steroids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness