Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 02:06 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times

Advertisements

swarthmore89 wrote:
I have found it really hard to build muscle mass. I work out 7 days out of the week (on various muscle groups), and I am actually pretty strong, especially for my weight, but huge, toned muscles have so far eluded me.
Learn to see it as the good thing that it truly is. The physical body is an extremely intelligent entity. It's simply letting you know that huge muscles is not what's best for you. Carrying around all that extra body weight, even if it is muscle, isn't very healthy. Strength and conditioning are far more valuable than huge muscles.

Many ( but not all ) of the hugely muscled athletes and bodybuilders are old men by the time they hit 60. To reiterate; being strong and fit is far more important than having huge muscles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 05:43 PM

645 posts, read 1,965,212 times
women

Old 12-04-2009, 09:39 AM

5 posts, read 8,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolem View Post
I workout for many of the reasons that you do. I have always taken good care of myself. I had to have a few surgeries in 06-07 and was unable to workout like I normally do. I put on about 10 pounds and did not have the tone I normally do. I felt awful and was unhappy about the way I looked. I just did not feel my best as I was not working out and eating right. Luckily I have recovered from the fatigue of the surgeries and lost those 10 pounds. I am kind of glad I went through that because it made me realize how important fitness is to me. I just don't feel the same when I am not working out and eating right.

I workout because it is a great stress reliever-if I miss even one day I can notice it in my mood and how I deal with life. I have gone through some real stressful times lately and find I deal much much better when I am working out consistently.

I workout because I want to look good for myself and my husband. My husband and I both want to look good for one another. I feel that I should do my best to look good for him and he for me. If he is physically able to workout he should and so should I. I feel too many people let themselves go and blame it on being too busy. I personally believe everyone has the time to exercise and eat right-it is just a matter of how high of a priority you make that in your life. It is easier to be lazy and say you have no time- I know I have fallen into that trap at times myself. However I do find that no matter how busy I am-when I am working out consistently- I am much more organized and have much more quality of time.

Nicolem

Exactly. My husband and I promised eachother before we got married that we were not going to let ourselves go just because the dating phase was over. Working out makes you feel better, and when you feel good, you have a better attitude about everything

Old 12-04-2009, 05:05 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,333,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swarthmore89 View Post
I work out because it's nice to have one thing that's structured in life. No matter what happens, I'm out running at 5 am and I hit the gym at 5:30 pm.

I would say that I work out in order to look good, but I have found it really hard to build muscle mass. I work out 7 days out of the week (on various muscle groups), and I am actually pretty strong, especially for my weight, but huge, toned muscles have so far eluded me.

Thoughts?
what type of diet do you have also what is your routine like if you are a hard gainer try some supplments and weight gainers that help you bulk up and put on mass how big are you trying to get?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:30 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
Had a pretty bad ankle sprain thats been keeping off my feet for the past month. Havent been keeping up with my workouts and have been cheating a bit on my meals. Its now back to the regular routine especially because I can now barely touch my toes while keeping my legs straight and this is not good.

Ten reasons why I workout/lead a healthy lifestyle:

1. I workout because I enjoy it.
2. The more I workout, it makes for better sex. I mean, much MUCH better sex.
3. I workout because I want to be around to see grandchildren someday and also want to see 100.
4. I workout because I teach the martial arts and must maintain my skill level always.
5. I workout and lead a healthy lifestyle because it sets a good example for the soon-to-be 13 year old.
6. I workout because I believe my body is my temple and my vehicle. Its the only one I have so I MUST take care of it.
7. I workout because I believe that it prevents me from getting sick. Daily taiji and qigong practice is the cause of my not getting sick in YEARS.
8. I workout because I know I look darn good in designer clothes.
9. I workout because I know I look darn good in no clothes.
10. I lead a healthy lifestyle because my wife challenges me daily to do so.
To this, I'd add.....I don't want to be dependent on expensive pharmaceuticals that don't really solve the underlying health problem.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:40 PM

30,901 posts, read 36,980,033 times
Quote:
Cute . Thats a very admiral goal.

I attribute the fact that I have not had any illnesses in years as a result of my working out and maintaining my fitness level. No colds, flu, headaches, etc. My blood pressure is great, my cholesterol levels are great, and I tend to not really like bad food now.
I still struggle with some food issues, but I agree with you. I used to go to McDonald's like 2 or 3 times a week. I knew it was bad for me, but I was hooked on McNugges and Fries. Then I saw that movie Supersize Me and since then I have slowly but surely moved toward eating healthier. I almost never go to McDonald's or any fast food places any more, nor do I really crave that kind of food like I used to.

Now, if only I could give up drinking Coke!

Old 12-05-2009, 08:30 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,644 times
Quote:
Had a pretty bad ankle sprain thats been keeping off my feet for the past month. Havent been keeping up with my workouts and have been cheating a bit on my meals. Its now back to the regular routine especially because I can now barely touch my toes while keeping my legs straight and this is not good.

Ten reasons why I workout/lead a healthy lifestyle:

1. I workout because I enjoy it.
2. The more I workout, it makes for better sex. I mean, much MUCH better sex.
3. I workout because I want to be around to see grandchildren someday and also want to see 100.
4. I workout because I teach the martial arts and must maintain my skill level always.
5. I workout and lead a healthy lifestyle because it sets a good example for the soon-to-be 13 year old.
6. I workout because I believe my body is my temple and my vehicle. Its the only one I have so I MUST take care of it.
7. I workout because I believe that it prevents me from getting sick. Daily taiji and qigong practice is the cause of my not getting sick in YEARS.
8. I workout because I know I look darn good in designer clothes.
9. I workout because I know I look darn good in no clothes.
10. I lead a healthy lifestyle because my wife challenges me daily to do so.
Co-sign on 1, 3, and 6-9. I also work out because I'm an aspiring powerlifter/strongman competitor so I have to stay on top of my workout routine so I can dominate the competition.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:10 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,793,468 times
I somewhat enjoy working out.
I am deathly afraid of developing diabetes. I am African-American and I've seen reports where it says 1 out of 2 African-Americans will develop diabetes.

I want to live a long healthy life if I can help it.
I want to reduce my chances for cancer and heart disease.

I don't break out as much when I exercise regularly.

I want my girlfriend to continue to adore my body and I like the compliments I receive about my body.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:29 PM

3,337 posts, read 7,123,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
swarthmore89 wrote:
Learn to see it as the good thing that it truly is. The physical body is an extremely intelligent entity. It's simply letting you know that huge muscles is not what's best for you. Carrying around all that extra body weight, even if it is muscle, isn't very healthy. Strength and conditioning are far more valuable than huge muscles. Many ( but not all ) of the hugely muscled athletes and bodybuilders are old men by the time they hit 60. To reiterate; being strong and fit is far more important than having huge muscles.
If someone wants huge muscles, that's their right. Do you not know that the more muscle mass you have, the more fat you burn? Muscle weighs more than fat, remember that. In essence, if you're 290-300 lbs but it's all muscle, you're still healthy. You can tell those pro bodybuilders and wrestlers they aren't healthy since many of them are shredded. I will agree that being strong/fit is important but for most people, having muscle mass is an added bonus. Not every guy wants the toned, pretty-boy look. Sad to say, many big-time gyms/health clubs are filled with these types

Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,005,261 times
Northsidejacksonville wrote:
If someone wants huge muscles, that's their right.
Agreed! What someone chooses to do with theer own body is nobodies businesss but their own, unless they have young children who depend on mom and dad being healthy to take care of them. None of the hugely muscled people I have know over the years has been truly healthy. I'm not saying that being hugely muscled is intrinsically unhealthy, just that it is highly unlikely to result in good health.
Do you not know that the more muscle mass you have, the more fat you burn? Muscle weighs more than fat, remember that.
Yes I am aware of that. When people guess my weight they ALWAYS underestimate by 15 to 20 lbs because a high percentage of my lean bodyweight ( 165 lbs ) is muscle mass.
In essence, if you're 290-300 lbs but it's all muscle, you're still healthy.
Not necessarily. I have watched many of the hugely muscled NFL players turn into old man before they ever reach 50. All that extra bodyweight tends to be a strain on the system.
You can tell those pro bodybuilders and wrestlers they aren't healthy since many of them are shredded.
I don't have to tell them. They already know it.
I will agree that being strong/fit is important but for most people, having muscle mass is an added bonus.
Muscle mass as a high percentage of overall bodyweight seems like it has been good for me thus far. But I'm only 61 so it is still too early to know what the long term affect will be.
Not every guy wants the toned, pretty-boy look. Sad to say, many big-time gyms/health clubs are filled with these types
The gym I attend has absolutely no one in that category. There are a few older guys like me who are fit and lean with well toned muscle mass, but most of the younger guys are on the BIG side with smooth muscles and little definition. Most of them couldn't do 5 pullups if their lives depended on it. To each his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness