Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2012, 07:00 PM

521 posts, read 763,205 times

Advertisements

Less chance of developing heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Increased energy
Possibility of living a very long and healthy life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2012, 07:33 PM

653 posts, read 1,795,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laorbust61 View Post
You would think so, wouldn't you? It depends on your age and metabolic rate, I understand.
Even with these dependencies, if I burn more calories I can eat more calories, for the same end weight result.

Less weight means less weight on knees, hips and feet. Lots of people develop knee problems.

But although I said that I exercise so that I can eat more, I am actually trying to both exercise and eat less.
I did really well for a few months, then I started buying treats to give out on Halloween.
My whole diet strategy is dependent on not having the junk easily accessible when I crave it.
I am able to exercise good self control when actually shopping.
I do not have good self control when at home watching movies or TV shows.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:15 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,310,193 times
I work out for many reasons, but to sum it up as the late, great Mr James Brown used to sing,

"I feel Good"!

Old 11-03-2012, 11:29 AM

1,976 posts, read 2,354,534 times
[quote=LaoTzuMindFu;4037593]Had a pretty bad ankle sprain thats been keeping off my feet for the past month. Havent been keeping up with my workouts and have been cheating a bit on my meals. Its now back to the regular routine especially because I can now barely touch my toes while keeping my legs straight and this is not good.

Ten reasons why I workout/lead a healthy lifestyle:

1. I workout because I enjoy it.
2. The more I workout, it makes for better sex. I mean, much MUCH better sex.
3. I workout because I want to be around to see grandchildren someday and also want to see 100.
4. I workout because I teach the martial arts and must maintain my skill level always.
5. I workout and lead a healthy lifestyle because it sets a good example for the soon-to-be 13 year old.
6. I workout because I believe my body is my temple and my vehicle. Its the only one I have so I MUST take care of it.
7. I workout because I believe that it prevents me from getting sick. Daily taiji and qigong practice is the cause of my not getting sick in YEARS.
8. I workout because I know I look darn good in designer clothes.
9. I workout because I know I look darn good in no clothes.
10. I lead a healthy lifestyle because my wife challenges me daily to do so.[/QUOTE

This post is inspiring, thanks.

Old 11-04-2012, 03:36 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redberry rose View Post
Less chance of developing heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure.
Increased energy
Possibility of living a very long and healthy life.
I work out for these reasons also because heart disease, diabetes and high blood pressure are all on a first-name basis with 80% of my extended family.

Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,919,106 times
Many of those plus an obvious one: I registered for a race and don't want to have to slow down to a walk before the finish line, and hopefully have a faster time than last year.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:23 PM

3,588 posts, read 5,732,035 times
Thought of another motivator:

Zipping up my jeans, looking in the mirror and noticing I'm on my way to a tiny waist!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:44 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,970,544 times
I work out mainly because I like to simply stay fit, but also being a firefighter as well as a wildland firefighter, you really need to be in pretty good overall physical condition to properly carry out the duties of the job.

I guess what motivates me is that I never want to be that firefighter whether in a house or on a wildfire who cant hack it because of physical conditioning or lack thereof. I always want to be the most in shape or one of the most in shape.

Old 04-09-2017, 04:56 PM

7,141 posts, read 12,678,151 times
I work out so I don't rust-out. And to stay supple.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:00 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,826,116 times
I work out to look good. The health benefits just come naturally!
As I age though the motivation is more towards health than beauty, since there is only so much one can do looks wise past a certain age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness