Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 03:08 AM

39 posts, read 103,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warszawa View Post
For girls, McKenzie is by far the worst IMO. Hope, Destiny, Faith, Quinn, Molly, Claire, Madeleine, Katelyn, Abigail, Jenna, Heather, Cathy, Caitlyn, Hannah, Grace, Demi, Katie, Chloe, Gertrude, Margot, Olga, Bertha, Bridget, and anything that ends in -lynn.

For guys, Caleb is the worst, followed by Jayden, Brayden, Ayden, Caden, Sladen, Kaden, Rayden, Skyler, Tanner, and Logan.

On the flip side, I think Penelope, Sofia, Olivia, Sveta, Yesenia, Yelena, Yasmin, Yardenia, Izabela, Natalia, Kseniya, Graciela, Consuela, Marisol, Soledad, and Ariana are beautiful names.

For guys, I love names Maksim, Andrei, Ismael, Tyshawn, Aleksei, Salvador, Miguel, Bautista, Cristobal, Volodya, Vitaly, Fernando, Yaroslav, Miroslav, Nikolai, Gabriel, and Andres.

Choosing a baby name is an important job, so make your children feel important by letting them. First of all, don't choose a first name that is so odd and unusual that. as your child is growing up, his or her friends can endlessly make fun of it.
So choose the name very wisely as it could support his/her personality in future.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2013, 04:16 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
How does he pronounce his name?? Just-Ash? Just-Ashy? Just-a-chee? Just-Ache??

I don't like any of these; can you tell??

Maybe his parents liked the sound of Jordache, way back when, and adapted it to make it more like the then-trendy "Justin". Doubly bad idea.

Make that triply bad: perhaps his parents wanted it to rhyme with "moustache" for who knows what reason.
Maybe the name's meaning is something really cool and wonderful.

Old 11-26-2013, 04:25 AM

15,700 posts, read 17,039,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Misspelled names "Lynnaia" instead of Linnea, "Cherrel" rather than Cheryl; bug me a bit. Ghetto names for sure. But one of the worst, for boys, is Biff.
A friend of mine has a daughter she named Amy.

Her daughter decided to legally change the spelling to "Amie".

To me, that changes the pronunciation to "Am me".....instead of "A me".

Old 11-26-2013, 05:50 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,942,987 times
Now I think I've seen it all with weird spelling. Siouxsie instead of Susie.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:04 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Roses View Post
It was just like Mustache but with a J.
Maybe the J is pronounced as an H.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:31 AM

2,351 posts, read 7,087,206 times
Arlyn, Ailyn, Myleen... Anything that ends in " lyn or leen ".

I also hate made up names like " Frendchelle, Hearty etc. names that come from something like " Sunshine, Love, Rain " etc.

Old 11-26-2013, 02:57 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,556,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313 TUxedo View Post
In Spanish, almost any noun ending in -dad is considered feminine.

But way more Spanish female names end in "a" not "dad". Dad is - well,... dad. IN an Anglo-domininat culture, its unfortunate. Like Colon is an old Spanish name, but so what, that doesn't help it!

Old 11-26-2013, 04:23 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,926,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's always only what and who you know. People make the name attractive or unattractive. People also rarely know name trends.

And about trends.....I've seen people on this very thread talk about names that they don't think are popular, but they are. For example; Lillian or Lily (Harry Potter made that famous) and Hazel, an on-trend hipster name. It's a fact that people naming their children usually don't know how popular it is until the kid gets to school. I'm not excluding myself from that either since my daughter was one of many with her name. So was I. So was my mom. The names all sounded fresh to the parents ears at the time though.
There are many baby name websites that give the popularity ranking for names. You can go back many years and decades to see where a name ranks. Even if you are naming a baby today just look up the ranking for the immediate years before to get an idea of the name. Of course, you can't totally predict the future of a name but you can certainly see the trend of a name.

It was fun for me to plug in names of my relatives and friends to see how they ranked in popularity. Some names, like Michael, are always on the top of the list. I have known many Michael's. Also, I went to school in the 60s & 70s and out of the six girlfriends in my group of close friends three were Kathy's!!! Glad I wasn't.

Last edited by geebabe; 11-26-2013 at 04:31 PM..

Old 11-27-2013, 09:48 PM

88,525 posts, read 84,719,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's always only what and who you know. People make the name attractive or unattractive. People also rarely know name trends.

And about trends.....I've seen people on this very thread talk about names that they don't think are popular, but they are. For example; Lillian or Lily (Harry Potter made that famous) and Hazel, an on-trend hipster name. It's a fact that people naming their children usually don't know how popular it is until the kid gets to school. I'm not excluding myself from that either since my daughter was one of many with her name. So was I. So was my mom. The names all sounded fresh to the parents ears at the time though.
When my daughter was little, there was an article in the local paper about this. One woman always thought "Julia" was such a beautiful, old-fashioned name, and she'd always wanted to name her daughter that. She had a little girl, and was in the hospital. The nurse came in to her and her roommate's room for the first time and picked up a baby and said, "Here's Julia"...and proceeded to hand the baby to the roommate. The new mother was shocked, because she was SURE she'd picked out a name that was fairly uncommon and here her roommate had a baby with the same name.

My daughter had two or three Julias in her class. It was not as prevalent as the Caitlins (of many different spellings) and Ashleys and Jessicas.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:16 PM

2,453 posts, read 3,604,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
Maybe the J is pronounced as an H.
No, he pronounced it with the J sound. At the end of the story the newscasters back in the studio commented on the name. Nicely - but they were puzzled too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty