Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yes or no?
Yes, I would 73 43.20%
No, I wouldn't 96 56.80%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2014, 08:52 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,366,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Tattoos and the military, that goes hand in hand. The people I know of that served, all of them earned their ink, they didn't buy it.
Actually, they did buy it, unless, that is, the servicemember had a friend do it for free. But I'm sure the majority paid for their tattoos just like non-servicemembers.

And what does "earn their ink" even mean? Only those who face dangerous situations "earn" the right to modify their bodies? This isn't even a logical, rational position since body modification is not something earned, as deemed by an outside party, any more than changing the color of one's hair or deciding to get pectoral implants. Tattoos are not inherent to servicemembers or veterans.

My daughter didn't "earn" her earlobe piercings. She wanted them pierced and I consented. I didn't "earn" my piercings, either.

Quote:
The funnies and trashiest was my HS shop teacher. He had a topless mermaid? underside of arm that could flex and make her dance.

But hey he got in the Navy WWII so I respect that.
Yes. A topless mermaid is relevant and somehow more acceptable because someone served in a war? "Earn" implies one is receiving or obtaining something, a reward, as a result of an action or choice that benefited something, someone or themself. A Marine earns his EGA. He earns that title. His decision to get an EGA tattoo is not "earning" a tattoo, it's deciding to pay tribute to his/her service and paying for the service of receiving said tattoo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 08:56 PM

35,687 posts, read 21,039,129 times
well beauty is skin deep I dont' blame you if you don't want to date anyone for any reason... that's a preference.. just do not look down on folks with tats or piercings etc... be surprized who is behind the art...it could be the most loving, faithful, intelligent person on earth- and you judging them only by the cover,,, that makes you superficial- you don't deserve them. Go find a picture perfect, no problem again, there are enough folks in the world, so enjoy

Old 01-31-2014, 06:38 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,625,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Many of us who do not care for tattoos don't really look to see what the tattoo is. We just see ink and it looks bad to us.
Well I'm glad that so many of you can fit so comfy on that very large tall equine animal that it's no problem to look below at us normal "colorful" people, nevermind the story behind the color.

How does that phrase go....something about a book and it's cover?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
This. I think it puts one at risk of Hepatitis C as well. Mentally, it speaks of insecurity and ego. Spiritually, it speaks of lack and fear.

Look at me. See my tats. This is who I am. This is what defines me. I'm a badass because I endured this pain.

What disgusts me most about tatoo artists is how many they have. They are trying to make a living off of polluting you with ink and they need your dollars... repeat customers.

How many tats is enough? What's the stats on how many tats a person gets long term after they already have the one?
Who are you to judge someone's spirituality? Do you have a PhD in that field? What kind of test does that require?

As for my tattoos, All of them are covered (unless I am in a bikini), except my breast cancer ribbon, and again I don't give a rat's donkey about who doesn't like that one, I have had MANY more positive comments and compliments, not to mention made quite a few great friends due to that tattoo and the camaraderie for being in that fight together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
You don't need a hell of a lot of things that people decide they want and let's face it, nobody gives a damn about any of that stuff either.

Why single out tattoos?

Women don't need to dye their hair (neither do men)... we do not need HAIRCUTS, either.
Ach! Darn you vile human, DO NOT spread that type of filth, lol!

Yes, humans NEED haircuts, and haircolor, and highlights, lowlights, ombre's, perms, waxes, facials, mani's, pedis, and spray tans, lol! (At least that's what I tell all my clients when they sit in my chair, lol!)

Don't let it get around that we can actually do without those things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
What if they don't drink, use drugs, or smoke?

Just because a person has tattoos does not mean they partake in those other things....
You mean like straight edge?

Straight edge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of people that follow a straight edge lifestyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, I am still having trouble understanding the absolute lack of cooth from those who are against tattoos.

Why do some feel they are perfectly justified to call someone they don't know trashy, low-class, uneducated, worthless, etc.... just for what essentially boils down to the choice to aditionally pigment their skin with a blob of ink?!

I'm sure this person is a true low class individual since they chose to ink their body in this way to hopefully save their life.

Or maybe these people are at the total bottom of the food chain since they chose to cover up horrifying scars on their body with ink to feel more accepted and normal? Boy they will be suprised when they find out they are worthless idiotic trash now with the ink, as opposed to before; where they might have only been normal God-fearing circus freaks!

Again, yes I would date someone with a tattoo(s); I already married one, lol! Not to mention it would be a bit hypocritical if I denied someone just for tattoos, since I have a few myself, lol!

Old 01-31-2014, 07:01 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
Well I'm glad that so many of you can fit so comfy on that very large tall equine animal that it's no problem to look below at us normal "colorful" people, nevermind the story behind the color.

How does that phrase go....something about a book and it's cover?

Who are you to judge someone's spirituality? Do you have a PhD in that field? What kind of test does that require?

As for my tattoos, All of them are covered (unless I am in a bikini), except my breast cancer ribbon, and again I don't give a rat's donkey about who doesn't like that one, I have had MANY more positive comments and compliments, not to mention made quite a few great friends due to that tattoo and the camaraderie for being in that fight together.

Ach! Darn you vile human, DO NOT spread that type of filth, lol!

Yes, humans NEED haircuts, and haircolor, and highlights, lowlights, ombre's, perms, waxes, facials, mani's, pedis, and spray tans, lol! (At least that's what I tell all my clients when they sit in my chair, lol!)

Don't let it get around that we can actually do without those things!

You mean like straight edge?

Straight edge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
List of people that follow a straight edge lifestyle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Again, I am still having trouble understanding the absolute lack of cooth from those who are against tattoos.

Why do some feel they are perfectly justified to call someone they don't know trashy, low-class, uneducated, worthless, etc.... just for what essentially boils down to the choice to aditionally pigment their skin with a blob of ink?!

I'm sure this person is a true low class individual since they chose to ink their body in this way to hopefully save their life.

Or maybe these people are at the total bottom of the food chain since they chose to cover up horrifying scars on their body with ink to feel more accepted and normal? Boy they will be suprised when they find out they are worthless idiotic trash now with the ink, as opposed to before; where they might have only been normal God-fearing circus freaks!

Again, yes I would date someone with a tattoo(s); I already married one, lol! Not to mention it would be a bit hypocritical if I denied someone just for tattoos, since I have a few myself, lol!

I have a full sleeve and one of the reasons I started it was to cover up the 'track marks' from the 300+ IVs I had to get growing up due to a medical disorder I have. It got old when people assumed I was a heroin/drug addict because of them when I rarely even take advil. After thinking long and hard, I got them covered up with pretty birds and flowers that make me happy, and I don't really care if someone judges me on that decision. Those people would have negatively judged my track marks without the tattoos, and they'll negatively judge me with the tattoos as well so why worry about it?

I have a great job, am highly educated and pretty happy overall with my life.

As for the OP, I've never actually dated anyone with tattoos but I doubt I'd care.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,680,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
What does that even mean? Have you not heard of Southern Baptist?
it means that in my community (a northern Baptist community) the southern Baptist folk aren't welcome round these parts!

Old 01-31-2014, 08:37 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,161,895 times
yes, i tend to prefer men with a couple tattoos actually as long as the tattoos are in good taste. if he was completely covered or had a very visible tattoo such as a neck/face tattoo i'd probably be turned off, though.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,825,030 times
I like tattoos, I mean I look at Tattoo magazines and websites and all, but if I'm more interested in analyzing someone's tattoos than getting it on, there's a problem.

Old 01-31-2014, 09:03 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,343,746 times
I do not care for tattoos, personally, but virtually all of my friends have some, and my wife has 13.

There was no way in the world I was going to let some ink keep me from marrying my favorite person.

Old 01-31-2014, 10:52 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,350,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
it means that in my community (a northern Baptist community) the southern Baptist folk aren't welcome round these parts!
Christian is Christian. I would have to hope that you aren't representing them very well....

Old 01-31-2014, 11:12 AM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,650 times
Jacob Bannon, singer of Converge:

While I enjoy the band he sings for, even I gotta say, he went overboard with his tattoos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty