Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:38 AM

774 posts, read 745,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
I tend to wear socks all the time, when not in bed, even in the summer. My girlfriend asked me why and I didn't have a good answer. I mainly do it out of habit.

In general she prefers to go barefoot all the time and suggested that I try it. So I did. My tennis shoes don't feel good without socks so she picked me out some nice sandals and said they look good on me. She suggested that I wear them to a BBQ we went to the other day but I was a bit embarrassed mainly because I have a sock tan lol (legs are tanned but not feet). She said I need to get some sun there.
I have to admit it's more comfortable going sockless but is this really a good look for a guy?
You don't have to have a "good answer". I don't like the feel of my tennis shoes without socks. My tennis shoes last longer when I wear socks. I personally don't like sandals on men unless it's at the beach. I do not like gym shoes without socks. My expectation is that the shoes will smell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 12:42 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Was this for me? I said nothing about being barefoot at home. One of the first things I do when I get home is take my shoes off. I still usually have socks on though, even on my sometimes clean floors.

Perhaps, but more for people who have made that comment in the past. I don't like walking in socks on floors for some reason. In winter I wear slippers in the house as the floors get very cold but the socks do not stay on for long and as I get older the socks last less time on my feet.

I some times wear runners without socks. Those times are when I need to protect my feet and will not be wearing them for any length of time, like mowing the lawn is twenty minutes and I will not wear sandals doing it.

I am still trying to come to grips with the idea that people's feet are ugly. I don't have a foot feetish and if I was in a room of 20 people I would probably not be able to tell you what they wore on their feet and in a place with twenty bare footed people not be able to describe a single foot.

Old 08-28-2015, 12:47 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
Quote:
Thanks! Thought maybe they look little too dressy but they are comfortable. I felt more comfortable in these than the flip flops since they cover more. I still might give flip flops a shot. What type of shoes do you wear when fishing at the lake? There are some activities like fishing, bike riding, etc that don't seem to work well with sandals.
Flip flops are great when you're at a pool, beach or lake and your footwear is going to be on and off all day. Cheap rubbery plastic flips for water. Nicer leather flips can be worn to casual places.

I wear Tevas or something like AquaSox at the lake. You can ride in sandals if they have a heel strap and at least one or two other adjustment points. Think Velcro.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:42 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
I tend to wear socks all the time, when not in bed, even in the summer. My girlfriend asked me why and I didn't have a good answer. I mainly do it out of habit.

In general she prefers to go barefoot all the time and suggested that I try it. So I did. My tennis shoes don't feel good without socks so she picked me out some nice sandals and said they look good on me. She suggested that I wear them to a BBQ we went to the other day but I was a bit embarrassed mainly because I have a sock tan lol (legs are tanned but not feet). She said I need to get some sun there.
I have to admit it's more comfortable going sockless but is this really a good look for a guy?

Years before I married my wife she convinced me to go commando for easy access.

I like to wear socks in the summer to keep the inside of my shoes nice.. Foot odor of any sort doesn't appeal to most people.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:53 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,898,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
I wear sandals that can get wet when I go fishing - I have some Tevas that work well for this.

Bike riding? Tevas again work well. But I am a casual rider, not a work commuter or a competitive rider.

Depends on the style of Tevas you get. They make several different styles than when I first started wearing them over 20 years ago. I had one pair I favored over shoes to the point I wore socks with them in the winter. It doesn't really matter when wearing long pants. Not when it's raining or snowing.

Old 08-28-2015, 04:30 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,954,783 times
I've never been comfortable wearing shoes without socks. It just doesn't feel right, and it often makes shoes stink.

Open toed shoes like sandals and flip flops are only good for certain situations. Personally, I hate flip flops and am only lukewarm on sandals.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:47 PM

6,769 posts, read 5,493,317 times
Quote:

I wear "shorty socks" during summer..they just "peek over the top of my shoes'...they are called, I believe, "sports socks" {FOR MEN of course...women have their own version}

BUT: if you are wearing sandals, it's a "no-no" to wear socks.

I used to NOT wear shoes during the summer, always wore sandals....BUT..then I had 6 toenails yanked {surgically} and I no longer liked the look of my feet naked, so I stopped and always kept them covered.

Try "deck shoes", they are usually comfortable to wear without socks.

Old 08-28-2015, 08:23 PM

840 posts, read 774,847 times
I wear socks whenever I wear shoes, and when my feet are cold, I also wear socks to bed.

When wearing sandals I do not wear socks. When going barefoot I also do not wear socks.

Old 08-28-2015, 09:54 PM

32,946 posts, read 36,394,363 times
"When going barefoot I also do not wear socks." OK, that makes sense to me.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Q&Lrn&Hlp View Post
I wear socks whenever I wear shoes, and when my feet are cold, I also wear socks to bed.

When wearing sandals I do not wear socks. When going barefoot I also do not wear socks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
"When going barefoot I also do not wear socks." OK, that makes sense to me.
Ha ha! Yeah, cuz if you're wearing socks, you are not barefoot...and if you're barefoot, you're not wearing socks.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty