Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 02:02 PM

371 posts, read 338,017 times

Advertisements

I love flip flops as much as the next person. But my one caveat is if you are in a very dry area or around the ocean a lot you can get really painful drying and cracking...which I've solved by wearing shoes with socks for a few days. If you can go barefoot it is likely better for your feet especially if you grew up running around barefoot-we evolved without shoes after all. It certainly beats keeping your feet cramped in stinky shoes.

If you think about it-what is really unsanitary is people who wear shoes into the house-gross! You can clean your feet pretty darn easily-same goes for sandals.

I currently own a pair of flippies(Chaco makes a nice one-I do not like the other models of thick hiking sandals they make) and a pair of hiking boots. That does it for me.

Any increased chances of injury with flipflops can be reduced by actually watching where you put your feet when you step. I've done backpacking trips in flipflops before. You should be able to run comfortably in a good pair...maybe huaraches if you are doing a lot of really quick footwork. Also-get good flipflops...many come with treads that quickly wear down to nothing and leave you with a very dangerous pair of footwear. My ideal flipflop is one with a fairly flexible and thin sole but very aggressive treading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 02:38 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times
No, she isn't right. If you are comfortable in socks, wear socks.

That being said, it doesn't really matter if she's right. When dealing with the female homo sapiens, you have to make a choice of being right or being happy. She wants you to not wear socks, don't wear socks.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:51 PM

11,787 posts, read 17,784,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Actually podiatrists recommend you go BAREFOOT as often as possible.
Say what?

But for those of us that have jobs and who are not homeless, we have to wear shoes most of the time. Scorching hot pavement with pebbles and nasty sidewalks aren't all that much fun for bare feet either.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,646 times
OP - your girlfriend is right, and is knowledgeable about things you are not. You can question her all you want, but the reality is that our bodies were created as vessels to house "us" (that which we perceive as ourselves)... our bodies are all the "suit" we really need in a normal/healthy environment. Wearing needless layers on top of it only serves to dull your senses and create imbalance. If this doesn't mean anything to you, just be patient, someday it likely will. For now, go with the flow and do as your friend suggests... she is right.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,329,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
Say what?

But for those of us that have jobs and who are not homeless, we have to wear shoes most of the time. Scorching hot pavement with pebbles and nasty sidewalks aren't all that much fun for bare feet either.

I work in a job where I need to wear shoes or safety boots all the time but I go barefooted as much as possible, just not at work. And not in the winter outside. Even my dogs wore boots sometimes in the winter, I am talking about zero to minus 35 C winter but even then in our house no socks as much as possible.

As to wearing shoes or bare feet in a house being gross, unless you are picking up food off the floor what is the difference between shoes or bare feet? We used to have the nano second rule, if food was dropped on the floor and a dog or cat did not get it within a nanosecond it really was not food.

In some places people wear shoes in the house and other places that is not acceptable. I hope the OP does try bare feet or house shoes with no socks in the house and sandals outdoors. If bare feet are not for you all you lost was the cost of the sandals but try it you'll like it (maybe).

Old 08-27-2015, 04:25 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,643,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
No man's feet look ""great". Gangley, hairy toes, forget it. And a Pedicure? Seriously? Talk about whipped.

No, he just takes pride in his appearance. His feet are gorgeous! Many professional football players get pedicures regularly because their feet take such a beating during the game. I suppose they are all "whipped" as well. What a silly thing to say.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:27 PM

8 posts, read 8,389 times
I think she is partly right. Because it depends on the weather in summer in your hometown.
Personally, in my hometown, the weather is hot in summer. So I find it really boiling and uncomfortable when wearing socks. So I hardly use them.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:11 PM

6,617 posts, read 6,548,535 times
Unless it's a really HOT day, I'm also more comfortable in socks and shoes. My feet sweat and I need the socks to absorb the sweat. I couldn't stand wearing tennis shoes without socks. I'd feel like I was sloshing around in them, and they'd start to stink in no time flat.

If it is a really HOT day, then I'll wear sandals withOUT socks lol.

Old 08-27-2015, 07:47 PM

4,978 posts, read 5,772,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
No man's feet look ""great". Gangley, hairy toes, forget it. And a Pedicure? Seriously? Talk about whipped.
LOTS of men get pedicures.

Why should men's feet be cooped up in hot, sweaty shoes in the summer? Let the toes BREATHE.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:40 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
Mid 30s

So different sandals for different occasions? These are the ones she picked out:http://www.amazon.com/Kenneth-Cole-REACTION-Cruise-Around/dp/B00QGXPLBS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1440688530&sr=8-2-fkmr0

They were on sale at the mall for a good price.
Those are nice and very middle of the road. They don't show everything like a flip flop and it's less coverage than something that's almost a shoe but has some vents. Wear your sandals and enjoy them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty