Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 11:54 AM

347 posts, read 282,405 times

Advertisements

Just my two cents here, but I don't think it's ever a good look for guys. Feet are absolutely disgusting, especially men's feet. I'm always grateful when I'm out and about to see people wearing shoes, and I always extend the same courtesy. That's just me though. I'm weird like that I guess. In any case, whatever you decide works/looks best for you is the right call, and I say more power to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 12:23 PM

13,707 posts, read 12,421,072 times
I wouldn't wear my gym shoes without socks; they'll stink awfully bad in short order. Sandals, of course, are great in the summer, and should never be worn with socks.

When it comes to loafers and leather shoes, if they are lined, you should wear socks, if they are unlined (meaning the inside of the shoe is unfinished leather,) you shouldn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Best you learn this now....the girlfriend is always right.

Say it with me, "Yes, dear. You are right, dear. I love you."

Repeat multiple times daily to keep a peaceful and happy relationship.
You know what, NOOOO!!!

Girlfriends rarely know as much about Men's fashions as they think they do. EG: My GF thinks its poor taste to wear black shoes with a navy suit. This may be true for her cocktail dress, but it is perfectly acceptable for men to pair black shoes with a blue suit.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:26 PM

45,344 posts, read 60,534,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Just so you're not wearing socks WITH sandals. Anythings looks better than that!
Unless you're 18-25. Then you wear black socks with sandals to go along with the crew neck T-shirt underneath your short sleeved Polo style shirt.

Old 08-26-2015, 12:32 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,949,659 times
There are socks that "disappear" when you put your shoes on. Get 'em.

Years ago, my feet smelled terrible. I washed every day. Several times a day. But I couldn't get rid of the odor. Want to guess how stupid I was? I never connected the smell to wearing my shoes without hosiery of any kind; I thought I had some strange gene.

When I finally realized the reason, I never wore shoes without socks/stockings again and my problem magically disappeared.

Sandals? No need to wear socks since there is plenty of air circulation. Shoes? Sneaks? cover those tootsies first.

Tell the GF that while she may like the look, you don't and you'll do it your way, TYVM. Be a mensch.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:12 PM

32,927 posts, read 36,335,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max8624 View Post
It was the 2nd scenario, she wasn't rude about it. I have to admit it's more comfortable....just wasn't sure in general if that's a good look for a guy when in public.
It's fine. When you're wearing casual clothing in the summer, sandals are perfectly acceptable.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:42 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,628,474 times
Quote:
I tend to wear socks all the time, when not in bed, even in the summer. My girlfriend asked me why and I didn't have a good answer. I mainly do it out of habit.

In general she prefers to go barefoot all the time and suggested that I try it. So I did. My tennis shoes don't feel good without socks so she picked me out some nice sandals and said they look good on me. She suggested that I wear them to a BBQ we went to the other day but I was a bit embarrassed mainly because I have a sock tan lol (legs are tanned but not feet). She said I need to get some sun there.
I have to admit it's more comfortable going sockless but is this really a good look for a guy?
Well if you like it then go for it. It seems to be a popular style nowadays. I do not wear sandals in public and only wear them at home after I shower and not always. I like my sneakers and would not be caught dead wearing sneakers or any shoe without socks except for sandals.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:38 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,921,731 times
There ya go, I just learned something.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:48 PM

7,488 posts, read 10,485,013 times
Girls are different. They can get away with short-shorts, tube tops, tank tops, bra tops, bare legs, bare feet. Nowadays, seems the more they show, the more sophisticated they seem.

There's the rub. The line between beachwear and streetwear is blurred. When I look at some of the younger girls nowadays, the 'man' in me loves what he sees, but the father and grandfather in me is horrified. What is acceptable for a little child to wear, is not acceptable for a man to wear.

This type of 'take it all off' thinking is very urban. It's for people who walk on carpeting, yachts or manicured lawns; people who can jump into the shower the second their feet get sweaty. Like most men, my feet take me into my truck, over to my compost pile, up and down stairs, out to the trash barrels, into mud and dust, and raking out the chicken coops. I am not urban. I'd be nursing stubbed toes if I walked around in sandals. Do what you feel comfortable with.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:57 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,648,683 times
Quote:
I tend to wear socks all the time, when not in bed, even in the summer. My girlfriend asked me why and I didn't have a good answer. I mainly do it out of habit.

In general she prefers to go barefoot all the time and suggested that I try it. So I did. My tennis shoes don't feel good without socks so she picked me out some nice sandals and said they look good on me. She suggested that I wear them to a BBQ we went to the other day but I was a bit embarrassed mainly because I have a sock tan lol (legs are tanned but not feet). She said I need to get some sun there.
I have to admit it's more comfortable going sockless but is this really a good look for a guy?
Maybe she thinks you have nice feet for a guy or something, and want you to shoe them off.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:58 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,121,615 times
If you want to be a girl and want to be a dirty person, don't wear your socks.
And don't wear sissy prissy little ankle socks, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty