Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 12:56 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,390,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It's tacky at any age for going out in the daytime.
I agree. At the same time, I find tacky but shapely women strangely attractive. Of course, I dont want my daughters or wife ever dressing like that. The ironies of life.... .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 01:35 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBelleInUtah View Post
It's tacky at any age for going out in the daytime.
Perhaps... but the OP never mentioned time of day.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:49 PM

65 posts, read 224,284 times
The only time age should have any bearing on attire is when the person is too young to be wearing something. 30+ years I've been seeing pre-teen & *just* teen girls wearing styles which make them look like 10¢ hookers, as well as the make up & hairstyles to match. Where are the parents? From experience, I know a lot of girls take the stuff to school & change there, so the parents never know.

Being too OLD to wear something? Nope. Never. No such thing. Wear what you like, when you like, & make sure you realize the potential consequences of your attire.

Now get off my lawn, whippersnapper.

Old 01-25-2016, 01:50 PM

19,799 posts, read 9,341,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Depends on the person

I have a 50 year old coworker wearing SHORT skirts and tight tops and she looks amazing (department manager), she has a great body for her age and can wear whatever she wants and looks great.

I see 20 year old girls/women wearing SHORT skirts and tight tops at Walmart and they look trashy. Why? Because their face/hair looks cheap or they are chubby and their belly hangs out or their arm/butt cellulite shows.

See-through? Gross at any age.

This is SO true. Why any woman, no matter how young, who has "elephant thighs" would wear skirts three inches or more above the knees is beyond my comprehension; and I also think bra straps showing under camisole tops is a very tacky look, also, no matter how thin a woman is.

However, I am not a member of the fashion police, and while I do have my "fashion peeves", I still believe people should dress however they want, so long as they are not breaking any public indecency laws.

(Oh, and btw, unless my weight is down below 120, which it hardly ever is, I have elephant thighs myself, but I haven't worn a skirt above my knees in more than 20 years!)

Old 01-25-2016, 02:18 PM

10,226 posts, read 7,576,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzee View Post
Do you think for a woman that is 40+ it is okay to wear tight clothes or dresses/skirts that say are above the knee? What about see-through tops? I was at the mall the other day and saw a woman that looked 40-something and she had a skirt well above the knees and a top that had significant cleavage and thought those should be reserved for the younger girls.
Sure. Why not? As long as you have the body, and the clothes are appropriate for where you are (party, club). It's not okay for anyone at any age to wear those clothes at work or school.

Susan Sarandon comes to mind.

40 is young. Christie Brinkley passed that mark over a decade ago. Cindy Crawford is in her 40s. Helen Mirren is over 60. All wear tight clothes, show cleavage and/or legs, and look terrific.

If, however, you have a body like Rosie, whatever age you are, you might want to wear those clothes a little looser.

Old 01-25-2016, 02:43 PM

2,289 posts, read 1,432,107 times
I saw this commercial and thought it would be perfect to post here. The blond woman in this ad is 69 years old. Youthful, tasteful and pulls it off so naturally. All about the individual.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=611BbUpmVmI

Old 01-25-2016, 02:47 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,194,523 times
Presumably the woman wearing these clothes looked in the mirror and decided it was ok to wear them. She's the ONLY person who gets to say whether or not it's ok.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:04 PM

149 posts, read 166,457 times
We aren't past agism yet here I guess. Do women "expire" at 40? It seems like putting an age restriction on such things is arbitrary and unnecessary. Though I have to say I can't wait for the trend to go back to non-transparent clothing. I don't care how good I look in it (despite being exactly 40 yo!) it's just not something I'm comfortable in.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:09 PM

1,131 posts, read 1,232,533 times
since when women in their 40´s are old? i dont understand why the people feel the need to judge someone by their apparel.

Old 01-25-2016, 03:54 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
since when women in their 40´s are old? i dont understand why the people feel the need to judge someone by their apparel.

If a man is dressed like a cop and you need help, you'll probably run up to him and ask for help. What if he said, I'm sorry I know I look like a cop, but I'm not a cop. You'd be like wtf, you are dressed like a cop.

If a woman is dressed in a "certain" manner, conclusions will be drawn lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty