Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 04:12 PM

3,205 posts, read 2,635,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Only if she has the all important thigh gap.
No offense to those who have it, but blech! No thanks. I like my skeletons at Halloween.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2016, 04:16 PM

52,392 posts, read 52,904,140 times
I personally don't care, but I think you're gonna have people judge period. I think they'll tend to be a bit harsher on women that are "older" and should "know" better, but whatever. I think a little bit of that is ok, but not too much, I don't want to see a woman 50 paces away and think "knockers" you know what I mean, needs to be tasteful, IMHO of course.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:18 PM

42,015 posts, read 75,434,857 times
Mind your own business. What were YOU wearing?

Old 01-25-2016, 04:21 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,302,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
Sure. Why not? As long as you have the body, and the clothes are appropriate for where you are (party, club). It's not okay for anyone at any age to wear those clothes at work or school.

Susan Sarandon comes to mind.

40 is young. Christie Brinkley passed that mark over a decade ago. Cindy Crawford is in her 40s. Helen Mirren is over 60. All wear tight clothes, show cleavage and/or legs, and look terrific.

If, however, you have a body like Rosie, whatever age you are, you might want to wear those clothes a little looser.

2 decades ago, actually. Yep, Christie Brinkley is in her 60s. Cindy Crawford turns 50 next month. And Helen Mirren is 70.

Getting off topic, but just goes to show that a woman's age can have very little to do with looking great!

Old 01-25-2016, 04:48 PM

743 posts, read 769,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzee View Post
Do you think for a woman that is 40+ it is okay to wear tight clothes or dresses/skirts that say are above the knee? What about see-through tops? I was at the mall the other day and saw a woman that looked 40-something and she had a skirt well above the knees and a top that had significant cleavage and thought those should be reserved for the younger girls.
We live in America and as long as an outfit isn't breaking any decency laws, people are free to wear whatever they want ... Regardless of what others think.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:05 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,360,172 times
What's magic about the age of 40? There are plenty of young women who wear tight and low-cut clothes who don't have the figure for it.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:18 PM

14,858 posts, read 8,187,989 times
People should wear what they like - free country.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:19 PM

102,302 posts, read 108,429,936 times
What you probably mean, OP, is--is it ok for a woman over 40 who looks her age to wear clothes designed for young people. People should wear whatever looks good on them. No tight clothes for anyone at any age with bulges or muffin-top, or anything that doesn't look good in tight clothes. I've seen college students who shouldn't be wearing tight clothes. People should have a sense of what looks great on them, and wear that. Dress for their figure type.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 4,385,907 times
Some women do stay in amazing shape, well past 40. I'm thinking Sharon Stone, Jennifer Aniston, Courtney Cox, Halle Berry, Tina Turner... it's not that common, though.

If a woman is thin, she can get away with tight clothing. Tight stylish clothing, mind you. The clothes that are really difficult to pull off past 40 are the ones that show too much skin. Cellulite is something I'd rather hide, but that's maybe just me.

No matter what a woman wears, or what "work" she gets done... there isn't much that can be done about neck wrinkles... that's the dead giveaway for revealing a woman's age.

Old 01-25-2016, 05:30 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,421,755 times
My wife is soon to be 45, although I will never mention that to her. She is also 5' tall and has taken care of her body. Yes she is hot, and I am not just saying that because she is my wife. She happens to have plenty going on in the style department. She does wear short skirts. She does not wear tops that are see thru. She does not think those are good for any age. She does have tops that show a little cleavage but nothing too over the top. She has it to show but knows how to show it with class. Her clothes show her curves. Realize that women don't dress for men, women dress for other women. If men had their way women would not be dressed. LOL

My thought, if a woman wants to dress like a 20 year old then maybe put in the work to keep that 20 year old body. Run during the day, hit the gym, manage the fork better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty