Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 05:23 AM

239 posts, read 194,643 times

Advertisements

40+ ok
50+ no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 06:36 AM

1,838 posts, read 2,020,489 times
I certainly haven't started dressing like an elderly woman, but there is something to be said for dressing with dignity as one ages and not wearing flippy skirts, micro-minis, tight tank tops, or other garments that appear youthful. The cut-off age for most of these garments, though, is well below 40.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:10 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forum_browser View Post
I certainly haven't started dressing like an elderly woman, but there is something to be said for dressing with dignity as one ages and not wearing flippy skirts, micro-minis, tight tank tops, or other garments that appear youthful. The cut-off age for most of these garments, though, is well below 40.
Yeah, because why would anyone want to look youthful and carefree? For shame.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:11 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,098,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzee View Post
Do you think for a woman that is 40+ it is okay to wear tight clothes or dresses/skirts that say are above the knee? What about see-through tops? I was at the mall the other day and saw a woman that looked 40-something and she had a skirt well above the knees and a top that had significant cleavage and thought those should be reserved for the younger girls.
That depends. Was she a MILF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvn88 View Post
40+ ok
50+ no
Robin Meade is 47 and looks better than most 35 year olds:

Don't think she'll still have it when she's 50?

Old 01-26-2016, 08:20 AM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
You realize that your analogy casts you in the role of the john.

You realize that there is no mention of prostitution anywhere in my post?

And even if there was, where does it say I'm the person involved?

Old 01-26-2016, 08:20 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
To add to my previous post, I think if one has to ask if it is OK then that person really doesn't have the confidence to pull it off, regardless of age or size. The confidence is what it is all about. No one should worry about anyone else's judgments. If YOU like it, and YOU feel good about it, then that is all that matters.

I'm pretty sure I will be dressing however I want even if I make it to 100. In fact, there is a 100 year old belly dancer whose pic is on the internet and she still wears her costume!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnxR9NuUg2I

Old 01-26-2016, 08:40 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
I absolutely LOATHE these kinds of judgements.....NO ONE ever sits and asks, "is it ok for men to wear flip flops? Is it ok for men to have facial hair after 30? is it ok...." its like GET OVER PEOPLE. You people are making me want to stuff my old ancient 42 years (GASP!) into fishnets JUST TO MAKE YOU MAD.

CAN"T STAND this double standard. STOP IT. Tired of being judged like a horse in a gypsy carnival. Ridiculous! If you want to live that way and think that way, don't impose it on others. Impose it on yourself. Live and let live. Its no one's business unless someone is a child. There are way too many other things to ponder over in this world. I can give you at least a dozen if you are interested. Like, read a book already or something. VOLUNTEER for something. Stop looking down your nose.
There is another thread about if it is ok for men to wear flip flops. LOL I for one voted yes as I have spent most of my life wearing them. I get home from work and the shoes come off.

Old 01-26-2016, 08:45 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Sophia Vergara (43) She pulls it off just fine. Many others can do it. Why does age matter?

Old 01-26-2016, 09:03 AM

2,289 posts, read 1,431,722 times
Quote:
Robin Meade is 47 and looks better than most 35 year olds:

Don't think she'll still have it when she's 50?

Going by that photo, if I hadn't known her age already I would have guessed around 53. But if she toned it down some I think she could go for lower than 47. A lot of times heavy makeup and big hair is aging, in my opinion.

Old 01-26-2016, 10:12 AM

1,039 posts, read 1,157,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appzee View Post
Do you think for a woman that is 40+ it is okay to wear tight clothes or dresses/skirts that say are above the knee? What about see-through tops? I was at the mall the other day and saw a woman that looked 40-something and she had a skirt well above the knees and a top that had significant cleavage and thought those should be reserved for the younger girls.
So J-Low has to dress like a Nun. I say more boobs more better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty