Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 03:36 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robhu View Post
Blue collar people are the back bone of this country.
If you don't like the way they look, go live in a secluded mansion somewhere and protect yourself from blue collar people.
But remember to appreciate the food you eat that they grew and proccessed, the furniture they made to put in your mansion, the car they built that you drive, the gated driveway and fence they put up to protect you from having to look at them, and maybe even the mansion itself that they built.
Yep, us blue collar people are scum alright. But if it weren't for us I guess you high class wannabees would have to settle for bitching about your ice cream being too cold, or your water being too wet.
Blue collar people think about things that are important instead of making stupid posts about things that aren't.
Maybe if your life is in danger someday a blue collar working person just might be the first one to come to your aid. Then you might just appreciate someone who doesn't meet your social expectations and might even have a little bit of dirt under their finger nails or some whiskers on their face or a faded flannel shirt.
The OP must have a very boring life if this is all he/she can find to complain about.

I grew up in blue collar Detroit. Whenever there were weather related disasters, we took care of ourselves, dug out,bailed out, whatever needed doing, then went to Grosse Pointe to repair the damage to the white collar homes, they would great my dad and his construction team with open arms, cookies, hot chocolate, actually treated them (almost) like equals. Anything to get their plumbing fixed. Ah, plumbing, the great equalizer of the classes, we all use it the same!

Old 07-13-2009, 05:47 AM

943 posts, read 3,159,211 times
I knew many blue collar workers in the past who while they did not spend a ton of money on their appearance via expensive plastic surgery, hairstyling and makeup, they did have a respect for their appearance. Many if not most of the working class folks today seem so sloppy in their appearance and it saddens me. I spend very little on my hair, makeup and clothes but do every thing I can to look neat and clean. To me people who do not care for their appearance do not seem to have much respect for themselves or others.

I never said that people had to spend a ton of money on themselves but I shake my head when I see many of the working class people today, they just just seem to not care how they present themselves to the world. Because of the low cost of imports, you can look perfectly nice for a very low cost.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:09 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I knew many blue collar workers in the past who while they did not spend a ton of money on their appearance via expensive plastic surgery, hairstyling and makeup, they did have a respect for their appearance. Many if not most of the working class folks today seem so sloppy in their appearance and it saddens me. I spend very little on my hair, makeup and clothes but do every thing I can to look neat and clean. To me people who do not care for their appearance do not seem to have much respect for themselves or others.

I never said that people had to spend a ton of money on themselves but I shake my head when I see many of the working class people today, they just just seem to not care how they present themselves to the world. Because of the low cost of imports, you can look perfectly nice for a very low cost.
Ah now there I see no difference. Overall I think a lot of Americans have let themselves go regardless of their profession. Obesity in our country makes no distinction. It covers all people whether rich or poor and white collar or blue collar.

I think what it comes down to is pride. We as Americans seemed to have "overall" lost our sense of pride. I traveled the country and lived in an motor home for 3 1/2 years and this country is turning into a slum so why do you expect more from people. There are some really nasty homes and neighborhoods. Overgrown yards, homes that haven't been painted "ever" etc..

I agree about the clothes. There is no reason why someone can't be neat and clean, as longs as they haven't just finished working. You would have been horrified to see me yesterday at the gas station. I spent 3 hours weed eating and I was covered with grass but I needed gas for the next round so we can't all look great all the time. Life happens.

To the poster who said about the people with big houses not having libraries I would say it's because the house is for show. A lot of them can barely afford decent furniture so you can forget about books.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
OK. Do you wear Tweety Bird t-shirts, have a tattoo, wear jeans that are too large/small? etc.

Do you wear makeup?

Nothing is wrong with your choice of house or profession, its who you are as a person that counts! A blue collar can have as much class as a white collar person.

However, my primary argument is that income does play one of the largest factors into class.
I live very well on about 18k a year. Again, it has nothing to do with class. I love classical music and going to the opera and the symphony. I enjoy art, sophisticated music, and spending my time reading good literature.

I am capable of discussing a myriad of subjects with people of definite means and sophistication. I have dined with Lords and Ladies. I have cruised on ships that cost $1,000 per day! (It was a gift, I wasn't paying). I have shared the dance floor with the owners of L'oreal, the heir to the Bacardi fortune (who, by the way, had no class. LOL)

And no, I don't wear makeup. I don't like makeup. Men do not wear makeup and they are totally accepted for who they are without it. I am no feminist, but I do not believe that people should be judged based on whether or not they wear goo on their faces.

Having class, I believe is something that cannot be acquired. I believe it is an innate quality. I have known people of means, who were as loud and rude and class-less as they come. And I have known people who were raised under very modest conditions who are EXTREMELY classy individuals. Even without much worldliness.

Even though people generally thought that Jackie Onassis had a lot of class, I heard her interviewed once (Larry King maybe?) and she sounded like a longshoreman. She gave me the impression that she had no class whatsoever. Same with Oprah Winfrey. No class.

On the other hand, there are lots of people out there - some of them homeless and living on the street that are very sophisticated. It definitely transcends income, culture, all that. It's totally intangible.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-13-2009, 10:00 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,120,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by younglisa7 View Post
Ah now there I see no difference. Overall I think a lot of Americans have let themselves go regardless of their profession. Obesity in our country makes no distinction. It covers all people whether rich or poor and white collar or blue collar.

I think what it comes down to is pride. We as Americans seemed to have "overall" lost our sense of pride. I traveled the country and lived in an motor home for 3 1/2 years and this country is turning into a slum so why do you expect more from people. There are some really nasty homes and neighborhoods. Overgrown yards, homes that haven't been painted "ever" etc..

I agree about the clothes. There is no reason why someone can't be neat and clean, as longs as they haven't just finished working. You would have been horrified to see me yesterday at the gas station. I spent 3 hours weed eating and I was covered with grass but I needed gas for the next round so we can't all look great all the time. Life happens.

To the poster who said about the people with big houses not having libraries I would say it's because the house is for show. A lot of them can barely afford decent furniture so you can forget about books.
Younglisa, on the one hand I agree with you totally that people have lost their pride. My mom often tells me about what life was like in the 1930s and 1940s when people would "dress up" to go to town, and eating out was a very , very big deal.

On the other hand, I don't know that this is necessarily a bad thing. I really don't think it is right to judge people on appearances alone. That having been said, people do take it too far sometimes. The other day I saw a 400 pound fellow at a convenience store in cut off sweat pants and NO SHIRT. In public, no less. It was "disturbing" to say the least" - can you say man-breasts?

Anyway, LOL, We have become a casual culture. And yes, people have lost the concept of pride in many ways. I have a great deal of pride not in my appearance, but in my intellect and my abilities and my understanding and appreciation of the world. It does now show, however.

As for not having books. OMG, how could anyone live without them? I have boxes and boxes and no place to put them. I could have filled up that fancy-schmancy house very easily with books everywhere. Even with the time I spend on the internet, I still read (and buy) books almost constantly!

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-13-2009, 10:44 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post

This is not at all what you were saying in your original post, nor the subsequent posts bashing everyone who disagreed with your insanity. Let the back peddaling begin.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:13 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
I don't know if this OT or not (as if it matters in this thread )....but I do wonder why, when the stores are full of people buying clothes, all I ever see is people wearing sweats, shorts and jeans.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:43 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,900,551 times
Since we all now know what he thinks of blue and white collar workers, I wonder what WT's thoughts are on pink-collar workers and the way they dress?

Old 07-13-2009, 12:55 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
I am just wondering why everyone things having more money to take care of yourself never affected anything?

LOL

I mean REALLY people!

There are tricks to "working it". But it is a millions times easier to have it handed to you with ease and no stress.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:01 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
I think it's just a different set of interests and priorities, really. It's just like how some guys will buy the souped-up hot rod while others will buy a more sensible Toyota Camry or truck or something. They might both be the same age, work the same job, make the same money... but their choice in what sort of car they drive depends on their personality or their lifestyle and priorities. Some want a car that they think will get them attention, while others look for something with more substance and reliability or gas efficiency.

We have a decent amount of money and could spend a lot more of our money and time and energy on our physical appearance, but we choose not to because we think it's pretentious and a waste of our money, time, and energy to do so. We would rather grow that money in an investment account and look like who we are and spend our time and energy out doing things. We prefer to live an honest and authentic life. But other people would rather spend their time and energy and money on all the physical appearance stuff and that's their choice and it's fine for them as it's what they want to do with their life. It's all just personal preference.

You'll notice, too, that people who dress a certain way congregate around others who dress a certain way. So stereotypes do come into play here. If it's safe to say that people who place a lot of emphasis on outward appearances are shallow and materialistic... it's probably safe to say that people who don't, aren't.

We were watching this film, "Sorry, Haters", (which is a really good film) and after the film we watched this roundtable discussion among actors and directors... and my husband and I were thinking that if we saw these guys on the street we might think they were homeless people... yet they were all successful directors and actors who probably have tons of money. You just can't judge people based on appearances. Some of the wealthiest people I know dress down and live simply because they don't want to draw attention to themselves. While many of the people I know who live in the fancy McMansions and drive the expensive cars and carve their physical appearance in such a way that they no longer look like themselves (fake hair, fake skin, fake nails, designer clothes...) are in an incredible amount of debt, it's ridiculous and honestly quite sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.