Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:43 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times

Advertisements

I don't like any exaggerated style - too skinny, too wide, whatever. If all the stores are selling them, and people are buying them, it sounds like they are in style to me. People wear a lot of unflattering things. Boot cut jeans are not the biggest problem IMO. Worry about something that matters!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:44 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,160,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And skinny jeans don't emphasize one's thighs? At least with a boot cut there's a widening at the bottom to balance wide hips.
I agree! Skinny jeans are no better looking. Just trendier.

Old 08-22-2009, 10:37 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,477,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Well, excuse me but you had just better let me know where you live and all of the places you frequent so you don't become offended and flip-out when you see me in my boot cut jeans! Has it occured to you that not everyone has the same body type and maybe some people (myself included) look best in boot-cuts? Or that some people just don't follow fashion trends all that closely or CARE what others think? Does anyone here really care what Europeans are wearing? BTW-I have family in Europe (Germany and Russia) and yeah, people do wear boot-cuts still.

I personally think skinny jeans are the most hideous pants I've ever seen and people should be put down for wearing them but that's not my place to say so (even though I just did), and others can dress how they want. I'm not so shallow and insecure that I need to focus on others clothes and belittle them to make myself feel better...

Agree. Skinny jeans are for skinny legged girls. If you have thighs and hips you just look fatter. I like straight legged pants.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:46 AM

2,222 posts, read 10,647,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I'm sorry, but NOTHING makes thighs look quite so terrible as skinny-cut jeans. Horribly unflattering.
Thighs? I don't think anyone is checking out their backside while wearing skinny jeans. They make your arse look huge. Yuk!

Boot cut for me.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:38 PM

291 posts, read 1,075,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaipur View Post
Okay I understand if your wearing them for practical reasons. And they are not in fashion because they have not been featured in any designers or high-fashion denim collections for years. I don't care if you don't stay in fashion, then you can wear them fine IDC. I just hate people that act like they care and know so much about clothing and trends and such and then wear them. It makes me want to vomit. And I think they are unflattering because I think that the thighs are one of the most unattractive areas on the body and boot cut jeans tend to hug the thigh. I lived in Moscow for one year and I am from France, I have lots of family there, and I go back there once or twice a year, they would NEVER wear boot cut jeans. I have no problem if you are wearing them for practical reasons, that is part of life. It is just SO annoying when someone claims to be so in and brags about all their luxurious clothes and shopping sprees and then wears something that is not considered in fashion. It doesn't matter if they are popular. Birkenstocks and popular and they aren't in fashion. Beside, they are so Chav! You might as well wear them with uggs and a trucker cap. How is that in fashion?

I dare say you need bigger problems if boot cut jeans are your biggest irritation in life. They make you puke? Are you 12? You know what makes me puke? Genocide. Female Genital Mutilation. Illiteracy. War. Oh, and people who want to puke over other people's denim choices. Carry on!

Old 08-23-2009, 04:12 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,525,235 times
I think that I am going to chalk up the OP's fashion rant to style immaturity.

I am in LA and A LOT of people (men and women), both style conscious and not, are still wearing bootcut jeans. Bootcut jeans are a very accomodating and flattering cut for most body types which is one of the reasons that it has stayed around.

The simple fact remains that skinny jeans are only flattering on a select number of women/girls with a slender build and narrow hips. When heavier (not even overweight necessarily) people try to wear skinny jeans they look like they are overstuffed sausages. The same with lowrise jeans. Unless you have a very flat tummy and narrow hips, even size 2 or 4 had major muffin tops (and that's never attractive).

The thing about style that is important to remember is that its not about buying the "lastest thing" and the being up on the hottest "trend" its about defining your own personal style and making it timeless. You can have on the lastest fashions head-to-toe and still look crazy because it doesn't work on you.

I personally love it when a 19 or 20 year-old want know where I bought "this or that" and a smile and tell them I've had it since 1988 or 1996 or whatever; it was a thrift store find; or it was passed to me from my grandmother. Just a thought.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:45 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,695,875 times
Ha ha if the OP pukes just from seeing bootcut jeans she will spend her entire day puking if she comes to wear I live You should see what I see If you think about though makes me look extra good by contrast

Old 08-23-2009, 06:02 PM

2 posts, read 25,377 times
Agreed. Boot Cut Jeans are not pretty

Old 08-23-2009, 09:21 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,500,550 times
Boot cuts make your legs look much better than skinny jeans or flares. And Europe - heck - they dress terrible in Europe compared to us Americans - the old fat men wear Speedos for goodness sake!

Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 PM

1,921 posts, read 5,620,996 times
Well, this has been an interesting thread, thus far. Who would have thought that folks could get so worked up over pants? I've worn both straight-leg, and boot-cut jeans, and I like them both. I have no use for skinny jeans, (I'd look pretty awful in them, frankly), or any other "fashionable" jeans. I have better things to do with my time, besides worrying about whether other folks approve of my fashion sense. When I'm out and about, I'm neat, clean, and comfortable, (in my Wranglers, no less), and that's a look that works for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty