Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2015, 07:51 PM

24 posts, read 31,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
And the labor union sure as hell doesn't have to control who can and cannot work for an employer. Amen to the free market. Without the employer, labor would not. exist. Exhibit A: general motors. Lucky for the uaw that obama was potus in 2009
Answer two to the OP.

It's a sign that you may have a lot of low IQ residents that are easily manipulated, like the one I am replying to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 07:54 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
Right to work states kinda suck but it is what is is. I rather have unions but most of the South is full of right to work states.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:59 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsgardDevice View Post
Answer two to the OP.

It's a sign that you may have a lot of low IQ residents that are easily manipulated, like the one I am replying to.
Did the afl-cio or seiu tell you to say that?

Old 02-10-2015, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKWildcat1981 View Post
Right to work states kinda suck but it is what is is. I rather have unions but most of the South is full of right to work states.
In the last few decades, all of the auto manufacturers have set up shop in states like Alabama, tx, sc, ky etc. In talking about bmw, mb, kia, Toyota etc. There's a reason why Detroit wasn't on their list

Old 02-10-2015, 06:34 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,152,641 times
I have been both an employee and employer and have NEVER been pro union.

I saw what they did/tried to do to the Uk in the 70s/80s.....unelected (often communist ) union officials would strike for no reason other than to try and bring down the elected government. Ford in the Uk at one time was run and nearly crippled by Unions. The miners were led into oblivion by Arthur Scargill whose only agenda was to destroy the government.

Now years on, my feelings haven't changed. HOWEVER as an employer in Fla, I despise the at will legislation, it basically means employees are in fear of losing their job, sadly this often means they put in the bare minimum of effort because they see no point in trying hard when they could be fired tomorrow.

I try and treat anyone who works for me with respect and show them they are valued. last July 3rd I delivered a case of beer to concrete guys and masons working on my jobs. At Christmas my handyman worker got a cash bonus. was it huge ? NO, but I hope it made him feel appreciated. Treat people as you would want to be treated. It was a lesson taught me by a wonderful man and great boss 30 years ago. I hope I live up to his standards

Old 02-10-2015, 07:53 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
In the last few decades, all of the auto manufacturers have set up shop in states like Alabama, tx, sc, ky etc. In talking about bmw, mb, kia, Toyota etc. There's a reason why Detroit wasn't on their list
Then there is VW in Chattanooga where VW executives were left scratching their heads when it's workers voted against the union. VW's neutrality on the issue was not going over well with Republican leaders in TN who threatened to take away tax incentives if the workers unionized. IIRC, one of these politicians even made a false claim about the future expansion of the plant hinged on them voting against the union.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Then there is VW in Chattanooga where VW executives were left scratching their heads when it's workers voted against the union. VW's neutrality on the issue was not going over well with Republican leaders in TN who threatened to take away tax incentives if the workers unionized. IIRC, one of these politicians even made a false claim about the future expansion of the plant hinged on them voting against the union.
Happens a lot, and not always because of intimidation unlike what left wingers like to insinuate

FedEx Freight workers in Louisville vote against union membership
Yahoo!

Old 02-10-2015, 04:31 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,138,172 times
Labor has wised up. Unions do nothing for the employee except made ridiculous demands on Employers which keep the Employer from being profitable without raising the costs of their services through the roof.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:40 PM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Happens a lot, and not always because of intimidation unlike what left wingers like to insinuate

FedEx Freight workers in Louisville vote against union membership
Yahoo!
Not always, but in the example I gave politicians did seem to play a major role.

It's ironic that VW was not against, but seemed to even favor union representation and the workers voted against their own interest. Oh well....makes you wonder about the folks who work there.

Last edited by Not_liking_FL; 02-10-2015 at 09:09 PM..

Old 02-10-2015, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not_liking_FL View Post
Not always, but in the example I gave politicians did seem to play a major role.

It's ironic that VW was not against, but seemed to even favor union representation and the workers voted against their own interest. Oh well....makes you wonder about the folks who work there.
Most non union workers now are making around the same wage as newer "low tier" uaw workers who get the privilege of working next to ppl older than them who are making more for the exact same job. In some cases, they are probably making more, and those nonunion guys don't have to fork over a % to the uaw

Closer Look at Union vs. Nonunion Workers

UAW, auto workers, South: UAW has trouble getting Southern autoworkers to join union - Los Angeles Times

UAW Losing Pay Edge: Foreign Automakers' Bonuses Boost Wages in U.S. Plants as Detroit Car Companies Struggle: aftermarket News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida