Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 PM

5 posts, read 19,999 times

Advertisements

I live about 70 miles north of Tampa. Nice area, good schools, nice people.....not much work opportunity. A lot of unemployment. Guess it depends on what work you are looking for and what is available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2012, 10:57 PM

128 posts, read 455,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyyyblue61 View Post
... Living inland has positives...lower cost of housing, taxes & we're not as subjected to the hurricanes as coastal areas. We live 55-60 miles inland from Daytona Beach Shores & 1.5 hrs. North of Orlando ....
ok so you're happy in okala. well, some of us like a little more movement than sleepy horse country okala! the big city can be hard, but small town living in INLAND FLORIDA can be very hot because zero wind and not much to do culture wise for active single middle age professionals.

why live in florida if you're not on the BEACH ! ? ! ?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:58 PM

44 posts, read 145,510 times
@Old Skool Florida - We drove through Miami on South I-95 earlier this month! The drivers were HORRIBLE!! They ride right across 2 or 3 lanes (in front of you) going 90 without even glancing! I was a wreck! On the return home to Ocala from the Keys, we took North I-75. NEVER again will we get anywhere close to Miami. What you posted about major corps. not imbedding themselves in Miami surely rings of truth. My friend who live in Marathon (middle of the Keys) said the same thing about the RUDENESS. She was a mgr. at Walgreens & said customers (Cubanons) were the rudest & the kids in tow had NO manners. I witnessed the "free-range-kids" acting like they'd never seen the inside of a store building in their lives, running & yelling - mom doing NOTHING at all to straighten them out! I was feeling stressed! :/ If you haven't been to Ocala, you might visit (Marion County) before you make another huge move.

I wish you the best, tampamike10, too.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyyyblue61 View Post
... We drove through Miami on South I-95 earlier this month! The drivers were HORRIBLE!! They ride right across 2 or 3 lanes (in front of you) going 90 without even glancing!
every action has a re-action, meaning for every reason there is a because. why do you think drivers in SO. FLORIDA drive so dangerously? why is MIAMI DADE and BROWARD #1 HIT AND RUN in the WORLD? ONE WORD: IMMIGRANTS, illegal or not ..... have u ever visited CUBA, COLOMBIA OR BRAZIL? i have, and they drive like this. they bring that mentality here to MY COUNTRY, the USA. so it's not fair to us born americans that we have accept living next to these animal. you wait when your own child's head is splattered all over the sun faded black pavement of SO FLORIDA, hit by some illegal immigrant from who knows where, maybe then you will understand the danger associated with the cess pool types that seems be dominate a lot of SO. FLORIDA. sorry. rant over.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool Florida View Post
ok so you're happy in okala. well, some of us like a little more movement than sleepy horse country okala! the big city can be hard, but small town living in INLAND FLORIDA can be very hot because zero wind and not much to do culture wise for active single middle age professionals.

why live in florida if you're not on the BEACH ! ? ! ?
We like to snorkel in the fresh water springs here in O C A L A & we're not that far from the beach. Again, how many times do you visit the beach due to your work? We went about half-dozen times last year. My husband & I like the springs a lot. He's not into the beach so much. He's from the Great NW, so the beach is just all right with him.

Big city's not for me, I consider myself a country girl. I prefer grass to pavement any day. Oh, I don't have to worry about not having a breeze, I just crank the a/c down to 70! And, hubby has lived in the big city of Seattle for much of his growing up years, so he's done that. Seattle, Portland, Eugene...I can't hack all the rain there. So...WHERE IS THE PERFECT PLACE? We'd love to move to WV.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool Florida View Post
have u ever visited CUBA, COLOMBIA OR BRAZIL? i have, and they drive like this. they bring that mentality here to MY COUNTRY, the USA. so it's not fair to us born americans that we have accept living next to these animals. rant over.
No, I've not been out of this good country we call home. It was scary to me, to see people driving without any care for anyone - not even themselves. Where were the cops??

Oh well, no matter where you live, there's something, but honestly I could NOT live in Miami or Tampa...actually no further South than where I am. I guess I could say my hubby hates it here. Only two things keeping us here: our kids/gkids & the house. (upside down value) We could walk off from it all. We've thought of that, been mulling over some sort of crazy plan...but I'm sure we'll suffer through until we can some how narrowly break-even, sell & get out of FL. The heat kills hubby.

Old 03-23-2012, 11:23 PM

i know ocala, been there done that. i resided in gville my late 30s. nothing to do there for a single professional. babyblue61: you're a married woman posting for your spouse. who knows, people change, maybe 5 years from today your " hubby " might be fed up with ocala and want to relocate an an area that was some life outside diving in a spring or watching a horse run across a field. i'm a fit single man of 48, i have good $. and look good. obesity is huge problem in central florida, especially around ocala, sorry to say. maybe i could relocate south of daytona, like the SHORES or ponce inlet, but thats a stretch because that area is over 55 retired. and those high rise condos are pricey. $300.000 buys 2/2, HOA $600.00 plus ! ! ! my job requires a 45 minutes to 1 hour to an international airport.

Last edited by Old Skool Florida; 03-23-2012 at 11:34 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 10:57 AM

2 posts, read 10,389 times
Default Moving to FL

I am very interested in moving to FL from Chicago. Im tired of the city life, lived all my fun days, and now Im happily settled with my family. Im not much of a beach girl so thats not even a factor for me because a swimming pool will do just fine. I've been out to FL on vacay so I'm well aware of the heat. Can someone shed some light and advice on jobs, raising a family, middle schools/high schools as well as academics and sports programs??? I've read just about all 23 review pages listed since 2006 and Im not interested in the opinions about non-americans, the
Cubans or stupid drivers. Reality is anywhere you live there are no guaranteed jobs or increased pay or income for cost of living, so I'm only interested in actual facts about things that matter. Please only comments from open minded individuals without biased opinions. Thanks!

Old 04-14-2012, 12:08 PM

109 posts, read 310,816 times
if you move down here PLEASE bring money , support yourself , NO DEADBEATS please . !!!!

Old 04-15-2012, 06:57 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiCityMom4 View Post
I am very interested in moving to FL from Chicago. Im tired of the city life, lived all my fun days, and now Im happily settled with my family. Im not much of a beach girl so thats not even a factor for me because a swimming pool will do just fine. I've been out to FL on vacay so I'm well aware of the heat. Can someone shed some light and advice on jobs, raising a family, middle schools/high schools as well as academics and sports programs??? I've read just about all 23 review pages listed since 2006 and Im not interested in the opinions about non-americans, the
Cubans or stupid drivers. Reality is anywhere you live there are no guaranteed jobs or increased pay or income for cost of living, so I'm only interested in actual facts about things that matter. Please only comments from open minded individuals without biased opinions. Thanks!
What part of Florida?

Do you need jobs? What are your job skills?

Describe your situation a little more so we can give better advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida