Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2008, 11:03 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpcats View Post
I need to learn how to make these stuffed peppers. Can some give away their secrets?

I was thinking if we made what we call "picadillo" which is very seasoned ground meat, with onions, peppers, tomato sauce, olives, and who knows what else (I don't, and not everybody makes it really good), we could stuff the peppers with that but how do you cook the peppers? I see OVEN but how would it work?
When I make stuffed peppers, I take a lot of liberties with what I add to the ground beef. It all depends upon what I have on hand. Usually I use ground beef, uncooked white rice, applesauce (instead of eggs), flavored bread crumbs, either diced raw onion or onion powder and garlic powder. I cut the tops off of the green peppers, (along with an extra little bit, which I dice and freeze for another use), clean the inside of the pepper from veins and seeds, and stuff with the meat mixture. (I do not precook the peppers.) I cook mine in the crockpot... put up in the AM and ready to eat whenever we want dinner. After adding the stuffed peppers to the crock, I usually add a few "meatballs" of the meat mixture - like stuffed peppers without the peppers. I top it off with plain, canned tomato sauce and one can of tomato paste and literally cover the entire top of that with garlic powder and a lot of oregano. When I serve it I start off with one stuffed pepper and one "meatball" per person.

Some people add Worcestershire sauce to their meat mixture and some top with melted cheese. I do not do either.

Old 09-30-2008, 11:13 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,228,857 times
Oh wow. That corn & crab bisque recipe looks fabulous! Thanks for sharing

Old 09-30-2008, 11:16 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
nuclear meltdown mix of pepper corn season mix, tapatio hot sauce and kikoman and pork chops
very hot. mom said her feet burned after eating it. that and salad and tortillas and a whole lota ice water.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 AM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Reading this thread can make you hungry on a full stomach!

Tonight, delicious chicken quesadillas, arroyos y frijoles - rice and beans, with monterey jack melted on top, chips and salsa too.

Happy October, everyone!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:07 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightAttendant View Post
Hello to all,
I am new to this forum...I like the idea of getting good ideas from others on what to cook tonight. I love cooking and, if I do say so myself, I am very good at it.

Tonight I am making fajitas with queso fresco, avocado, tomato and lettuce. Sides of fresh corn and a nice big salad.

I am marinating some chicken pieces in the bitter orange juice that is sold in Latino markets. I love what it does for chicken when it is combined with fresh garlic, cumin, chili powder and cracked pepper. 24 hours in a plastic bag with the marinade and then onto the grill it goes. Yum...I must be in a Latina mood for food this week!! And I am Belgian LOL
Sorry it took me so long to welcome you--I had to go back several pages to even find your original post! This thread goes fast---we love to talk, cook and share it all with each other!! This is my home away from home and have met some wonderful friends here. We just have fun!! Again, welcome!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:47 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Morning all and wow it is October-where does the time go!!!!!

Jessie-sounds so good and thank you bundles for sharing.

MWBW-your freedom's on the horizon.

Everything sounded so wonderful-what a group-love it.

Waiting for coffee to kick in!

Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,873,356 times
MMMmmm that bisque would be a great way to warm up the day here! Too bad it would most likely NOT fly with the Wt Watchers LOL Well, gotta use the nuker today and it is Karate night...and hubby is stopping to one of the WW meetings on the way home. I think he is heating up a Smart Ones when he gets home and the kids are just going to have to deal with a can of soup and some veg I can heat up. I have one of those sandwich makers that toasts the cheese and all into triangle bites... maybe they will enjoy a toasted cheese sandwhich with their soup... a spin off of Nomad's dinner last night...LOL Except all I have is FF Cheddar in the house... wonder how well that will go over?????

Old 10-01-2008, 06:08 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,339,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbs View Post
I have one of those sandwich makers that toasts the cheese and all into triangle bites... maybe they will enjoy a toasted cheese sandwhich with their soup... a spin off of Nomad's dinner last night...LOL Except all I have is FF Cheddar in the house... wonder how well that will go over?????
Don't tell them it's fat-free, and they just might not even notice. My favorite adage has always been "what they don't know won't hurt me," and in this case, it won't hurt them either!

Old 10-01-2008, 06:25 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,027,148 times
Thank goodness this thread exists! It's sure a relief from the doom and gloom the world's coming to an end and the governments going to put us in concentration camp threads!
I say let's all sit down and have some of that quick cobbler a few hundred posts ago, cook up a nice steak and watch the world go by!

Hope everyone will have a food filled day! Haven't decided on dinner yet, maybe left over lasagna. I do think I'm going to try and make bread today but not in a machine, actually by hand. That'll keep me busy...

Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Thank goodness this thread exists! It's sure a relief from the doom and gloom the world's coming to an end and the governments going to put us in concentration camp threads!
I say let's all sit down and have some of that quick cobbler a few hundred posts ago, cook up a nice steak and watch the world go by!

Hope everyone will have a food filled day! Haven't decided on dinner yet, maybe left over lasagna. I do think I'm going to try and make bread today but not in a machine, actually by hand. That'll keep me busy...
I agree! Cute post jimj! Yep, I'm gonna put my head back in that hole in the sand and find myself some good eats!! Ha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink