Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-26-2008, 08:11 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
Of course we know that olive oil is the better choice....but for years I used Mazola Oil for almost all my cooking and Olive Oil for special. I love the smell of olive oil warming in the pan and then with the addition of the other flavors......but just in case.....the kitchen police won't get you if you're out of OO and use vegetable oil--and there is even a chance with all the other delicious flavors...your family won't notice. Go Ahead, "if you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with" .... even if its Wesson or Mazola.
Thanks elston, I kind of figured I could but I didn't want to waste the food if it turned out nasty tasting. I was waiting for internet to get back up so I could ask my foodie friends. LOL Now I know in a pinch I can.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:12 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,061,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
Uhm..BBQ is great!!

Here, now, it's cool to make a BBQ.

Oh , calories are the big problems. I would like to have a quickly metabolism for eat a lot of desserts..

Which is the correct word? Dessert or sweet?
Hi Minniemouse!

As far as I can tell, Americans usually say "dessert", but the British say "dessert" or "sweet" when being proper, like in a restaurant, but at home and amongst family/friends would say "pudding"

... As in "what's for pudding, Mum?" !!!!

Just to confuse you further, "pudding" to an American is a sweet creamy custard-type dish, like a blancmange, chocolate mousse or creme caramel.

But, actual British recipe names which include the word "Pudding" are not always sweet! Although they can be! Puddings include a sweet steamed dishes like Christmas Pudding, or a savoury pastry dishes, like Steak & Kidney Pudding, or even a baked batter like Yorkshire Pudding...

O dear I'm getting confused now..try this
Pudding - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2008, 08:16 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
Tonight I am going to dip chicken breasts in egg and crumbs

then:
horseradish
lo fat ham
lo fat swiss
spinach

Roll it and bake it.

I think I will add a baked potato to that!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Default Steamed Pudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Hi Minniemouse!

As far as I can tell, Americans usually say "dessert", but the British say "dessert" or "sweet" when being proper, like in a restaurant, but at home and amongst family/friends would say "pudding"

Just to confuse you further, "pudding" to an American is a sweet creamy custard-type dish, like a blancmange, chocolate mousse or creme caramel.

But, actual British recipe names which include the word "Pudding" are not always sweet! Although they can be! Puddings include a sweet steamed dishes like Christmas Pudding, or a savoury pastry dishes, like Steak & Kidney Pudding, or even a baked batter like Yorkshire Pudding...

My mother who was born in Manchester England, used to make steamed pudding. It was a large lump of dough that she filled with jelly or fruit and tied up in a cloth ( most likely an old bed sheet) and cooked in, or over, boiling water, on top of the stove....it puffed up something like a heavy dumpling....when unwrapped and freed from its "linen" she cut it up put it in bowls and spooned a thin custardy sauce, often lemon flavored, over it. We ate it with a spoon and loved it. This was a winter time dessert. Thank you Momma!

Old 09-26-2008, 08:36 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,349,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minniemouse View Post
this evening, I'm eating meatloaf = polpettone in Italian and salade.

it's very easy.
I put the meatloaf in a tin with white wine and put it in the oven.
I'm going to the swimming pool and when I coming back, the mealtloaf is ready!

It's very good!

Then, I eat it with the salad and potatoes. i finish with italian coffee and biscuits

I'm very greedy! Before swimmingpool and after....biscuits it's my compromise!

ciao guys!!!
I've never tried wine in meatloaf but it sounds good so I'l have to give it a try. Thanks for the idea.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:43 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,855,297 times
Crazy sounds delicious-have chicken breasts in fridge for tomorrow-thanx.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,616,968 times
Tonight we are having a stir fry casserole made with green cabbage, link sausage, onions, whole kernel corn and it will be seasoned with a little soy sauce and ground cayenne. I'll top mine with some sliced jalapeno peppers. This is a one skillet dish that we like done in the big ole iron skillet.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:00 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
My mother who was born in Manchester England, used to make steamed pudding. It was a large lump of dough that she filled with jelly or fruit and tied up in a cloth ( most likely an old bed sheet) and cooked in, or over, boiling water, on top of the stove....it puffed up something like a heavy dumpling....when unwrapped and freed from its "linen" she cut it up put it in bowls and spooned a thin custardy sauce, often lemon flavored, over it. We ate it with a spoon and loved it. This was a winter time dessert. Thank you Momma!
Ah, the memories! Wonderful and warm!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:10 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,946,128 times
Tonight we will grill chicken breasts marinated in a ginger - sesame - teriyaki mix, and have grilled asparagus, red potatoes, and onions to go along with it. I am going to buy a nice bottle of wine to celebrate the weekend as well! TGIF!!

Old 09-26-2008, 09:42 AM

2,994 posts, read 3,765,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Hi Minniemouse!

Thanks!

I think that I can love pudding!!!!
I have never tried it.

Your desserts are stunning and funny!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink