Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandsGal View Post
Are pork steaks and pork chops the same thing???

Way to go Molochai! It has been a long road, hopefully you see that light at the end!! I imagine driving at first would be pretty scary. Practice in the parking lot sounds like a good idea.

Welcome to all the newbies!
Pork steaks are a bigger cut than a chop. They have more fat which = more flavor in my opinion. They are usually not as thick as a chop either. I can't find them here in Texas very often so when I see them I stock up. I personally think that is weird as when I lived in Ohio I could find them all the time.

I love them though. Can't wait to eat them tonight. Yum....

Old 02-04-2009, 10:41 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,970,938 times
Good afternoon all!

I was checking the freezer and pulled out 2 chicken split breasts. I think I'll skin them, pat them with a little melted butter, and sprinkle breadcrumbs mixed with garlic salt and Parmesan cheese. Bake 350 degrees covered for 30 mins. and then uncover them and cook another 30 mins. or until done.
Baked potatoes and some kind of veggie will go with that.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
Pork steaks are a bigger cut than a chop. They have more fat which = more flavor in my opinion. They are usually not as thick as a chop either. I can't find them here in Texas very often so when I see them I stock up. I personally think that is weird as when I lived in Ohio I could find them all the time.

I love them though. Can't wait to eat them tonight. Yum....
I agree! Pork steaks are one of my favorite cuts of pork. You can't beat the flavor! If you don't like a little fat then you'd probably not be fond of these! You could buy a pork butt and have the butcher slice it into steaks. Infact every so often HT has a great sale on pork butts and that's what we do.

Old 02-04-2009, 10:57 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
My day is coming when I can chew again...Pork steak will be at the top of the list....down here a pork steak is simply a Boston butt roast that has been sliced up...Same cut as a chuck steak from a beef...With this frigid weather we are having pork steaks and mashed potatoes would be really a good combo with fresh from the garden mustard greens...

Old 02-04-2009, 11:38 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Is pork steak a boneless cut?

Old 02-04-2009, 11:41 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,950,915 times
Quote:
Morning all...today is the start of my red meat and pork fest. Woo Hoo!!! Bacon hating husband is at the airport and my bacon is thawing in the fridge. LOL Tonight for dinner, yep you guessed it, BLT's. I don't care what else goes with it. I am going to savor every bite!!!!!

Cyn..way to go making it through the weekend. Keep up the good work!!!! As of tommorrow I will be back on the gum. I figure that will give me a good 5 months before I become a neurotic mess watching for hurricanes. LOL

Hope everyone has a great day!!!!
Hope you enjoyed the bacon!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
The painting is still ongoing.....we chose a very rich saturated yellow/gold (Sherwin Willimas....Summerfield) for the DR and LR...he is doing the second coat now and it transforms the rooms....they look wonderful! The painter was a bit unsure of our choice....but seems to agree with us that it is really outstanding. The windows and ceiling are still White and the rug is beige in the LR and the floor is hard wood birch in the DR with an oriental style rug under the table with tones of gold and green and blue and the table and chairs are mission style with the seats in a gold and blue green terracotta weave.....once the art is back on the walls it should be a knock out.

He will start the kitchen and living area..this afternoon.....we choose a light but lively tone of green called Dancing Green for the main part of the area with a bright breakfast alcove a darker shade called "overt green".

The upstairs hallway will be a very pale shade of the same family of green called Lime Granita. An accent wall in our bedroom with cathederal ceiling and paladium window...will be antique red...with the rest of the walls the off white the builder had used.
Do we get to see pics? I can definitely visualize it from your post, but pics are fun too! Sounds just beautiful and adding color is so fun! It is actually like you moved without all that work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I am not saying this to be hurtful, but just as an observation to spur you on...
Today, outside a store, I saw three people huddled in the 25 degree weather smoking cigarettes, and I thought to myself that they MUST be mentally defective. Who in their right mind would do that?

Cyn, you are not a smoker anymore. Just having a craving is OK, but acting on it is not OK.
That is how stupidly POWERFUL that addiction is. I have stood out in colder temps. Hating it and myself.

Congrats Cyn, for coming so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Good morning all. Another fairly quiet night. Guess Kats is still away, SKBS busy, Amber working.

Jaxson-I never get on a scale but know it's well over 40. My gown, hopefully will be in next week and then alterations. It's now become a lifestyle and truthfully I don't miss anything as I feel 20 yrs. younger. I let my emotions and depression rule and ruin me for 3 yrs. and hope to never let that happen again. But never say never. My test will be when I go home and there's good East coast food.
Awesome, Lacey!! Congrats, it is such a good feeling!

Quote:
Morning all, tired already. Had to take oldest for a doctor's checkup and wrestle with the 4 year old at the same time. Ugh. 8 am apt and still had to wait. I hate that.

Tonight for dinner pork steaks. Yummy!! I am salivating already in anticipation.

Hope everyone has a great day.
Huge pet peeve of mine! Waiting way past your appointed time. I feel if you can organize your day to be there on time, they should respect that. After all, our time is just as important as theirs, right?

Doctored up a large can of condensed chicken noodle soup last night-added the leftover rotisserie chicken, some ck broth, bouillion cubes, and more noodles. Was very good, actually! Could have used some celery and carrots, but since I waited so long to eat I was getting shaky and had to make it quick. Added some biscuits and a salad. Even my picky DD liked it!

Tonight will be easy-chicken strips and tater tots with a salad. Will probably coerce DD to make brownies for dessert. Never was one for dessert because of the added calories and was usually too full, but after hanging out here...I'm craving it!!

Have a great day!!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:52 AM

190 posts, read 543,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Nomad you poor dear owie owie owie. On the bright side I bet it was cheaper than YLisa had to pay for her root canal.

Monica how do you put up your sweet corn freezer or can it?

Lacey & elston have I missed how you are doing with your weight loss?

Alice Spring Chicken was fab! Wasn't enough apple pie to go around so in honor of Nomad I chose a bowl of ice cream.
Hi Jaxson:

I used to go thru the trouble of husking, blanching, etc. but I have figured out that by leaving it in the husk and cutting off just enough on ea. end to keep the ear from being pointy, wrapping it in foil and just freezing it as is. Then when I am ready to cook it, just unwrap, dehusk it and drop into boiling water and cook till done. oh yes, and enjoy!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:53 AM

18,287 posts, read 23,196,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Is pork steak a boneless cut?
No it has a bone in it but I think the fat and bone is what helps pork with flavor.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:54 AM

190 posts, read 543,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkzone View Post
This is how I make mine. Melt about 1/2 stick of butter in skilett. Add 3/4cup of brown sugar, cinnamon, vanilla to taste and about 3TBSP of rum. Once it's all good and bubbling, add sliced bananas and cook for a couple of minutes. You can add nuts if you like, I usually don't. Serve over vanilla ice cream.
Sounds great! Thanks!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
As long as you promise there isn't any asparagas in it.
Quote:
Is that MY chowdah you're trading?????????????????
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiegee40 View Post
LOL Lacey.....I'll race ya
Quote:
On your mark, get set.....................
No asparagas. I glanced at the wrong recipe!

Lacey, you said you couldn't make it!

Anyway, I wasn't real impressed with it. I'm not a big seafood person, so I found the bay scallops a bit too "fishy" for my taste. It's just too much seafood in one sitting for me. The broth, tho, was excellent. But now my house reeks of fish.

Quote:
Have you really been to Governors??? if so.....small world.
Yes, DH and I spent 2 weeks in Maine a couple of years after we got married. Governors was one of the places where we ate.

Quote:
whodathunk that I would become known for my pork chops....especially since I had all but forgotten that recipe and hadnt made it in years....It came to mind when someone asked for something different to do with chops...and I had recently been in that situation and remembered it.
Hey, who'da thunk???

Tonight will be rib steaks (broiled in the house), brussel sprouts, maybe carrots, maybe smashed 'taters. Oh, and I made another trifle using strawberries we bought at the farmers' market yesterday. Man, are they good! They made excellent daiquiris, BTW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink