Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 12:06 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by axinom07 View Post
Hi Jaxson:

I used to go thru the trouble of husking, blanching, etc. but I have figured out that by leaving it in the husk and cutting off just enough on ea. end to keep the ear from being pointy, wrapping it in foil and just freezing it as is. Then when I am ready to cook it, just unwrap, dehusk it and drop into boiling water and cook till done. oh yes, and enjoy!
OK you know how you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I still either can it or cut it off the cob for freezer corn. I will have to try this method I am reading more and more about good results this way. Won't put all my corn up this way as it would take up a lot of real estate in my freezer. Why do you cut off the pointed tip?

Old 02-04-2009, 12:30 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
No it has a bone in it but I think the fat and bone is what helps pork with flavor.
Me too! I am not a huge pork fan, except for all the stuff that is the worst for you like bacon and sausage.
I only buy bone-in pork chops. I will keep my eye out for pork steak.

Quote:
OK you know how you can't teach an old dog new tricks? I still either can it or cut it off the cob for freezer corn. I will have to try this method I am reading more and more about good results this way. Won't put all my corn up this way as it would take up a lot of real estate in my freezer. Why do you cut off the pointed tip?
This sounds interesting. I am not planning on growing corn myself, but please keep all these food preservation stories coming! In times like these, we could all stand to learn a little more self-reliance. My canner has been ordered from amazon.com! I can't wait to make my first batch of jam. I think it will be with produce I find on sale since it'll be a long time before my garden is producing anything.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:38 PM

5,384 posts, read 10,871,354 times
Back in the house. I went out with my mom and Chatterbox to lunch and the mall.... windowshopping to walk off the asian chicken wrap I had. Now Chatterbox is sound asleep on the sofa from all the walking we made her do

Diva will be home in an hour and I am just enjoying the quiet of the house and catching up on all this chit chat you all have been up to....

Old 02-04-2009, 12:44 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,192,320 times
Debsi there is a canning thread that will be picking back up soon you might enjoy. If nothing else go make a post so when the posts do start coming back in it will be in your subscribed threads. //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ning-here.html

skbs you are just back in and I am getting ready to leave. Enjoy your quiet time and catching up!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Debsi there is a canning thread that will be picking back up soon you might enjoy. If nothing else go make a post so when the posts do start coming back in it will be in your subscribed threads. //www.city-data.com/forum/recip...ning-here.html

skbs you are just back in and I am getting ready to leave. Enjoy your quiet time and catching up!
It seems like there is a lot of that lately... in and out.... it is quite quiet in here these days huh? Not the usual noisy kitchen we are used to......

Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Oh I am excited. My son, DIL, grandkids DH and myself have decided to make Sundays our family dinner day. Either their house or ours but it will be together!! Now I will need all of your help with ideas for the big Sunday dinners. I know the old steak BBQ are a for sure already but for the cooler months some ideas will be great! I can hardly wait to have my family together again and enjoying each other each and every week!!! This is a first for us because they just moved here a year ago to join us and it's taken until now to work this out! No one said we were fast! Ha!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:34 PM

4,604 posts, read 5,778,340 times
That's fantastic Cyn. I don't get that every Sunday but it sure is fun when it happens. To me the best part is having everyone cook something at your house and you can see the different ideas they have. Also making a "pot" of something that everyone brain storms on. My girls are 27, 23 & 16. It can be interesting.

Old 02-04-2009, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh I am excited. My son, DIL, grandkids DH and myself have decided to make Sundays our family dinner day. Either their house or ours but it will be together!! Now I will need all of your help with ideas for the big Sunday dinners. I know the old steak BBQ are a for sure already but for the cooler months some ideas will be great! I can hardly wait to have my family together again and enjoying each other each and every week!!! This is a first for us because they just moved here a year ago to join us and it's taken until now to work this out! No one said we were fast! Ha!
Oh that is so much fun.... what a great tradition! We used to have a day we did that with my grandparents and I loved it.....

Old 02-04-2009, 01:42 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,070,967 times
Default Cheap lunch turned "Dinner" !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I know the old steak BBQ are a for sure already but for the cooler months some ideas will be great!
Heck I'll go for a rib-eye on a charcoal grill anytime of year ! We tried something for lunch today but it was so filling and good that I'm calling it "Dinner". We took two cans of Campbells Minestrone Soup and one tube of Pillsbury Biscuits, divided the biscuits into half. We made regular Biscuits to go with the soup and used the other half for small round dumplings cooked in the soup. (and we used real butter and lots of it on the biscuits !)

Old 02-04-2009, 01:50 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Oh that sounds delish rickers!
This is a whole new tradition for here in NC and my family. In CA Amber always had her Sunday get togethers. And that girls can cook!! Here, well this is just basically family getting together and enjoying each other. Life is to short not to do it! My family was never a "big family" type family so I am still learning all of this but I am excited and am even more excited to give my grandbabies something to look forward to their entire lives!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink