Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2009, 02:08 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times

Advertisements

Cyn pot roast or loin of pork always winners!
Good going girl.
Make it simple so you can enjoy.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:33 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
Good Afternoon Friends!

I haven't been here since yesterday, this blasted cold is still lingering. I never did get to the spare bedroom yesterday, it's on hold right now until I feel better. We got a dusting of snow this morning. It is cold and very windy down here today.

Early dinner here today, we had roasted boneless chicken thighs, wrapped in pancetta, smoked bacon, Y.G. potatoes, simmered in white wine, c. broth, with peas, roasted red peppers & corn. It was great comfort food.

I hope everyone has a wonderful night. I'll check back later. kelsie

Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh that sounds delish rickers!
This is a whole new tradition for here in NC and my family. In CA Amber always had her Sunday get togethers. And that girls can cook!! Here, well this is just basically family getting together and enjoying each other. Life is to short not to do it! My family was never a "big family" type family so I am still learning all of this but I am excited and am even more excited to give my grandbabies something to look forward to their entire lives!!
It sounds wonderful. You are very lucky.

I would start with things that the whole family can get involved with making:

pizza
taco night (duh)

Then there are all the great stand bys like a huge pot of spaghetti gravy or chili with green onion, sour cream, cheddar cheese etc offered as toppings.
Basket of fritos would be nice with that.

Old 02-04-2009, 02:38 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Is pork steak a boneless cut?
If ya want it to be. It comes both ways where we shop...I prefer the bone in and then remove excess bone and fat after cooking...then left overs diced up fine goes great on a multigrain tortilla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
No it has a bone in it but I think the fat and bone is what helps pork with flavor.
Amen....

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Cyn pot roast or loin of pork always winners!
Good going girl.
Make it simple so you can enjoy.
Amen. with real potatoes, mash or sweet...or some of both...

Here I am back in foodie land and can't chew just yet...by the weekend some pork steak is going to meat it's match...Meanwhile a nuked potato tonight with alot of smartbalance on it will be tasty in the crazy cold late weather we are having..Looks like another hard freeze tonight...27° in the latest forecast..

Old 02-04-2009, 02:48 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Hard freeze doesn't sound good for all those fresh veggies Nomad! Sigh....hope the weather man is wrong and it doesn't get that cold!!
I can't even begin to tell anyone how excited I am to starting a tradition in my family---a tradition that is good and solid. I'll definately be the fist on my side!! Ha! Now to pull it off successfully....I need all the postivie thoughts possible. I have family from N Dakota, CA, Mass, Guam and yes NC so we are spread out over the US and then some! But for those of us here in NC we will start a tradition!!

Old 02-04-2009, 02:57 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Hard freeze doesn't sound good for all those fresh veggies Nomad! Sigh....hope the weather man is wrong and it doesn't get that cold!!
I can't even begin to tell anyone how excited I am to starting a tradition in my family---a tradition that is good and solid. I'll definately be the fist on my side!! Ha! Now to pull it off successfully....I need all the postivie thoughts possible. I have family from N Dakota, CA, Mass, Guam and yes NC so we are spread out over the US and then some! But for those of us here in NC we will start a tradition!!
Nothing left in my area to damage..All got wiped out a couple of weeks back..This is just going to slow down the replanting making prices go higher in the markets...

Love those family good food traditions...There was a time in the 60's it was so much fun even for me as a kid...I knew when I got a Sunday Dinner (noon in the south) it was going to be special...Nothing spared...Meat or veggies or desserts...Granny Bou**** was the greatest cook there ever was and she could not cook for just her and hubby..She was not my real granny but we all called her that as she was my first cousin's granny...If you ever left her table hungry it was your on darned fault. Pork roast, beef roast, and fried chicken on the same dinner table...turnip and mustard greens. Lima beans and blackeyed peas...Mashed potatoes...and to top it off it all was grown in a back yard garden...execpt the meat items....Mr. B was a great man with a few seed and a little plot of black dirt...

Old 02-04-2009, 03:05 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,214,268 times
Nomad since you can't chew you should ask your wife to make you some chocolate pudding.

Well I just got done finding the bottom of my walk in closet. I now have to find the energy to make dinner. Just the thought of cooking, even pork, is enough to wear me out.

Hope everyone has a good evening. I am off to get dinner going.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:05 PM

5,504 posts, read 6,250,843 times
Just read through the posts.
N: I hope you are feeling better soon.

GH: Hand raised a little, yep there I was 2 weeks ago in a non-smoking State, with non-smoking rests., standing out in the blasted snow, having my cigarette buring my new suede gloves. H & I quit 2 years ago for 6 mos., I could kick myself. Good work Cyn.

Cyn: Growing up in an Italian family every Sunday at 2:00 was the traditional Italian dinner with the family after church.
The gravy (red sauce) would be simmering by 8 in the morning, with meatballs, sausage, brachole, ravioli, cavatelli, spaghetti, crusty bread, hm red wine, lots of laughter and fun.
When h is off on a Sunday, we still do this.

You will have lots of fun.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:17 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
We always had big Sunday family dinners and it grew to include my kids' friends, current boy/girlfriends. It's a tradition that sadly disappeared in family life and really should be re-instituted.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:41 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsie View Post
Just read through the posts.
N: I hope you are feeling better soon.

GH: Hand raised a little, yep there I was 2 weeks ago in a non-smoking State, with non-smoking rests., standing out in the blasted snow, having my cigarette buring my new suede gloves. H & I quit 2 years ago for 6 mos., I could kick myself. Good work Cyn.

Cyn: Growing up in an Italian family every Sunday at 2:00 was the traditional Italian dinner with the family after church.
The gravy (red sauce) would be simmering by 8 in the morning, with meatballs, sausage, brachole, ravioli, cavatelli, spaghetti, crusty bread, hm red wine, lots of laughter and fun.
When h is off on a Sunday, we still do this.

You will have lots of fun.
That's it! That's what I want!! I want memories--not so much for me but for my grandbabies!!!!!! I want family!! I want to be a part of it all!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink