Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 05:59 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking that taco soup just might be what we'll have for our first family Sunday dinner!! It's easy enough and I think everyone would like it! Thanks Amber!
Last night we had pasta and pesto with a salad and garlic toast. I haven't a clue what dinner will be tonight yet. We have to drive to the city and then meet my DH's son for lunch in another place so looks like a busy driving day for us! Not really looking forward to the driving as there is lots of that black ice on the roads. It hasn't gotten over 25 here for the last few days and with that snow storm night before last it has made a mess of the roads. But we can't put this off another day so we'll just take it easy!
Sure hope you're feeling better today NV!!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:15 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I'm thinking that taco soup just might be what we'll have for our first family Sunday dinner!! It's easy enough and I think everyone would like it! Thanks Amber!
Last night we had pasta and pesto with a salad and garlic toast. I haven't a clue what dinner will be tonight yet. We have to drive to the city and then meet my DH's son for lunch in another place so looks like a busy driving day for us! Not really looking forward to the driving as there is lots of that black ice on the roads. It hasn't gotten over 25 here for the last few days and with that snow storm night before last it has made a mess of the roads. But we can't put this off another day so we'll just take it easy!
Sure hope you're feeling better today NV!!
Drive carefully Cyn.... I know how OTHER drivers can be on days like that. I am never afraid of my own driving actually- but other people. Take it slow and steady and you will be fine on the ice. Enjoy your lunch.....

Old 02-05-2009, 06:22 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,865,469 times
Jaxson.... as you have all learned I don't bake... but in a pinch I do bake with the smart balance and usually brownies from scratch. They have come out kind of funny. They aren't as good as they are with butter and they are a flatter.... I can't even explain it. But I don't suggest using it to bake. LOL..... In fact I JUST looked up the website and this is what it says about it...

Quote:
Can I cook, bake and fry with Smart Balance?
Yes -regular Smart Balance 67% oil Buttery Spread contains enough fat to make it excellent for cooking and pan frying as well as most baking. Note that, because of its lower fat content, Smart Balance Light (37% oil) Buttery Spread is primarily intended for use as a topping, though you may also use for light sautéing and broiling.
So even they sound like it isn't really meant for baking with.... but more sauteing and broiling....

Old 02-05-2009, 07:05 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Good morning all. I finally got caught up. I need ideas. I have 2 flounder fillets thawing and I would like to try the Panko that I have. Any ideas for something in the oven or do I have to fry it? Thanks for the help.

cyn- That is wonderful news about Sundays. Keep it simple so you can spend more time with your family. Debsi's ideas were great and the soup sounds really good. You can also have:

Pan of Lasagna or Baked Ziti
Pot Roast
Roast Chicken
Chicken Parm can be pre- made and heated.
Stew and Biscuits or cornbread

Kelsie- How do you make brachole?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Thanks, Lisa.

Last night we attempted to answer the eternal question of whether there could ever be too much spaghetti, and we decided the answer is a solid N O and ate every bit of that sauce.

I think tonight for dinner I will give DH eggs in a hole, and he will do something disgusting like slather strawberry jam all over it.

Will probably serve a salad after the main course.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 AM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Oh I am excited. My son, DIL, grandkids DH and myself have decided to make Sundays our family dinner day. Either their house or ours but it will be together!! Now I will need all of your help with ideas for the big Sunday dinners. I know the old steak BBQ are a for sure already but for the cooler months some ideas will be great! I can hardly wait to have my family together again and enjoying each other each and every week!!! This is a first for us because they just moved here a year ago to join us and it's taken until now to work this out! No one said we were fast! Ha!
I am jealous, all my chicks are spread around the country.
You just can't beat roast chicken and mashed potaoes and gravy, with whatever veggies everyone likes and a big old chocolate cake for dessert.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:30 AM

2,969 posts, read 6,942,261 times
Cyn, have fun with your Sunday dinners. We do it with friends here now, almost every week. My family still gets together "back home" and I loved that growing up. My mom always made stuff like:

Turkey
Lasagna
Burgers/Brats on the grill
Pizza
Baked chicken and rice
Chili/soup

Just have fun with it and ENJOY!

I have a long busy day today, so I am thinking that blueberry pancakes and sausage links or bacon will be dinner. We have some blueberries to use up anyway.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:36 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
Hi YLisa-

I would bread the filets and saute in a little olive oil. Very little fat.

Braciole-round steak, punded thin. Mix lots of chopped garlic, parm cheese, chopped parsley. Spred down center. roll and tie or toothpick. Brown and drop in sauce. You could even do pork cutlets.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:42 AM

2,489 posts, read 7,210,338 times
Morning all,

Cyn we do fancy Sunday dinners too. Of course it just my hubby and my kids but I want them to remember Sunday dinners when they grow up, ya know.

If you are feeding a crowd tacos and fajitas work well for easy in preparation and enough can be made to feed an army.

On Sundays we usually have stuff like lasagna, roast chicken with all the fixings, steak on the grill etc...

Tonight for dinner not sure yet. Loved the pork steak yesterday but it did not love me around midnight. Argh!!!! So no pork tonight, I need to root around in the freezer and see what I have in there.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:50 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,380,896 times
Debsi- I love your eggs in a hole. Just don't look at what your husband does, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
Hi YLisa-

I would bread the filets and saute in a little olive oil. Very little fat.

Braciole-round steak, punded thin. Mix lots of chopped garlic, parm cheese, chopped parsley. Spred down center. roll and tie or toothpick. Brown and drop in sauce. You could even do pork cutlets.

Thank you Lacey. How long do you cook the brachole in the sauce for?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink