Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2009, 05:59 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times

Advertisements

Oh Jaxson, at least we don't have frost this morning! Brrrrr. Looks like another beautiful day here. We hit a record high yesterday--75!! It was so strange because everyone in the whole neighborhood was all out and about. Taking walks, kids going to to little stream fishing, other kids on their bicycles, neighbors across the road working with thier horses other neighbors starting working the ground for their veggie gardens--it was like the whole area just came to life. Since I have lived basically in a warm climate all my life I have never seen the likes of this....Even though this is my second year here last year was not nearly as cold for as long!
I am at a total loss as to what to make for dinner tonight! I feel that "rut" again. Guess I will just keep reading here today and maybe something will spark my attention.

Great to hear from you Vichel!!

Old 02-09-2009, 06:17 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,388,477 times
A little mix between Chinese and Italian cooking rofl:

Linguine - cook till al dente
1 Chinese cabbage, 4 spring onions, 2 carrots
Cabbage in small squares, spring onions in very thin rings, carrots in thins strips.
Put in a pan with some sesame oil and fry. Add curry powder and pepper, some ginger too.
Add some very thin sliced ham and the long linguine and fry some more. Pour 4-5 table spoons dark soy sauce over it, add some sesame seeds and either chili sauce (1 table spoon) or tabasco.

Yum

Old 02-09-2009, 07:02 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,400,511 times
Good morning. Today I have to go back to the dentist and have the crown put on. I stretched it out because the cost is insane. Shouldn't be any pain because the root is gone. Haven't decided on dinner tonight. So many meats in the fridge. Ah, what to do. Last night we had Hebrew National hot dogs and beans. Not the healthiest meal but so good sometimes. I did buy the reduced fat ones and they were fine.

HawaiiLover- I feel your pain. I hate all those passwords. You need a password to unlock all your passwords, lol. It's a vicious cycle. I also hate all the savings cards that we have to carry around just to get a sale price. I could knock someone out with all my cards.

Lacey- Omelets are always good. When I was young I used to clean out my mother's refrigerator on weekends. It was the "dump everything" in the omelet. We had some very interesting omelets.

Vichel- I am so glad you are ok. Sending you and your parents well wishes.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:06 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,674,084 times
Hi all........Not much time to read through the posts. Got Chicken defrosting but not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.
Younglisa...goood luck with the dentist.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:14 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,745,369 times
Happy Monday morning all
Vichel glad you are safe. Haven't had a chance to go back and read the posts but wanted to pop on.
Tonight will be simple and easy yet delish. Meatloaf

Have some weekend catching up to do on the posts. Enjoy your day all!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:19 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Supper tonight.............I bet my DP would like fish......but I dont want it.........so time will tell....in a bit I will go see whats in the freezer and get it out to defrost.....spaghetti sounds good to me.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:26 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,511,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
Were having red enchiladas tonight fried not baked with Mexican rice and borracho beans
How do you make fried enchiladas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
I just googled "borracho beans"......(drunken beans ) and they sound great.....I never have had them.....but may try to make some for next week end when the kids come over....with other burrito or nacho type stuff......I wish I could get some of the carne asada at the deli or in the pre packaged ones at Costco. That is the one think I really miss about california.....I bet I can find a recipe to marinate carne asada.....OR maybe someone will give me a recipe here.....(but it is too cold to grill outdoors.....maybe I should wait on that menu idea??????????)
Those beans always put me in mind of a belligerent character in Much Ado About Nothing who gives his name as Borachio. What a name to lug around.

Elston, I marinate pretty simply for steak tacos. The main thing is to get some fresh lime juice in there, and some crushed garlic and a little oil. You could throw in some cilantro too if you want, and I like to put in some minced jalapenos and/or serranos.

And don't be a square and forget the salt and pepper!

Old 02-09-2009, 07:27 AM

Dinner tonight.. I have some leftover chicken breast that I cooked for the tortilla soup, so I think we'll have chicken tacos! (hurray)

I'll probably blitz up a quick avocado taco sauce to go with.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:37 AM

48,142 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
How do you make fried enchiladas?

Those beans always put me in mind of a belligerent character in Much Ado About Nothing who gives his name as Borachio. What a name to lug around.

Elston, I marinate pretty simply for steak tacos. The main thing is to get some fresh lime juice in there, and some crushed garlic and a little oil. You could throw in some cilantro too if you want, and I like to put in some minced jalapenos and/or serranos.

And don't be a square and forget the salt and pepper!
LOL Enter Borachio (Is he any kin to Petruccio from Taming of the Shrew....?)

OK I am again thinking of trying to have a Tex Mex buffet if my family come over next week end to see the painted rooms....

I am not experienced in that style cooking but I know when they were kids...I used to make the crispy tacos following the suggestions on the box of taco's.....lettuce, tomato, onion, black olives, taco sauce, ground beef with taco flavoring packet, canned refried beans etc....you get the picture....

I would like to do something a little more "grown up" and interesting....so I might try Debie's marinade on some thinly sliced steak...and make some of those beans.....and have the lettuce etc.....and use soft taco or burrito tortilla's ...... what else should I do or know to make this successful and somewhat authentic. (I am shopping in Maine...but can get cilantro, a variety of chilies and some Goya products.)

Old 02-09-2009, 07:47 AM

Serve on warm corn tortillas.

Traditionally, all you need to offer is lime wedges, chopped onion/cilantro, and a hot sauce (or two.. one red, one green.)

Here is a recipe for an awesome red hot sauce. I've used it as a guide, but I use more/different dried chiles. The olive oil gives it a flavor you don't quite expect somehow, but it is wonderful.

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archive...hili_sauce.php

Sometimes taquerias also put some thin sliced radish on top, that's nice too.

You could also make (or buy canned) some of those jalapeno pickled carrots to offer on the side.

Last edited by Debsi; 02-09-2009 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: why don't I include the link this time.. derrr..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink