Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 07:39 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,678,476 times

Advertisements

I miss Southern style Corn Bread, and fried Catfish.
Boiled Peanuts,
Conch Fritters,
Boudin,
Red Beans n Rice,
Fresh Beignets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 07:48 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,187,841 times
Moved from central California to rural Wyoming.

I miss ethnic foods such as Mediterranean, Thai, Greek, Ethiopian. We have great burgers and steaks, and a Mexican place that is fairly authentic, but we have to drive four hours down to Salt Lake City to find some ethnic foods. ☹️

I also miss fresh produce. Spring in the central valley have us an abundance of fantastic produce from the local stands. Strawberries so sweet that you didn't need to add sugar and they were huge! Stone fruits like nextarines and peaches that you picked yourself from the trees. Yum! Miss all of those.

Old 08-06-2020, 07:51 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,179,420 times
Good Italian fare.
Bagels
Krinos Kalamata olives
After eight years, I still miss Dierbergs grocery stores; I especially miss their deli case

But if I were to move back to StL, I’d miss the great fresh produce we get in the PNW

Old 08-06-2020, 10:54 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,986,422 times
Texas to Georgia.
I think I mostly miss the restaurants serving my favorites.
Texas BBQ
Tex Mex
Fresh Pandulce
Favorite foods from H.E.B. ( their brand foods)
Chamoy margarita
Buenuelos

Did I mention Texas BBQ????
Whataburger
Sea Island sea food

Now I'm depressed!

Old 08-07-2020, 05:21 AM

1,934 posts, read 1,085,168 times
I am "back home". Can't leave the ocean, its in my blood.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:06 AM

24,597 posts, read 10,909,474 times
An oven warm crunchy salty pretzel with a dark wheat beer.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:06 AM

88,617 posts, read 84,875,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
So many North American residents are living in areas other than where they spent their formative years. Some moved willingly, others for a job transfer or because they or a spouse are affiliated with the military. Still others, in search of a different climate or a lower cost of living.

I am the last. We moved because we were taxed out of Long Island, NY. Our taxes rose to almost 30K.

While we like NE Ohio. there are certain foods that are scarce, unavailable, or just not as good here. Obviously, there are other foods that are better.

Here is what I miss the most from the NYC Metro area -

- Steamed Clams dipped in butter. A summer staple in the coastal North East. I can eat buckets of them. Except they aren't available here.

- Buttered Kiaser rolls with coffee. Many German Delis gave free Kiaser Rolls with a cup of coffee at the breakfast hour - between 6 and 10. It's not that they aren't free, it's that they aren't here. These are crusty, poppy seed covered rolls that are not terribly dense. I really miss them. You can also buy a bag of them from a bakery or some supermarkets.

- Decent bagels. I am sure one can get these in the larger cities. I live in a small city. I like bagels to be boiled, first. The bagel makers on the east coast have been doing this for centuries. Yes. Dunkin Donits sells bagels. They are not the same.

- Black and White Cookies - these are large cookies that are glazed with half chocolate and half vanilla, hense their name. You could even pick one up at a convenience store.

- Linzer tarts - a big rasberry jam filled scalloped cookie dusted with confectioners sugar.

Diners - while not exactly a food, NYC Metro diners are places where one can purchase a variety of foods from a variety of ethnicities at all hours. 24/7. They really have ANYTHING. You can also buy a drink with dinner, and the cocktails were always good.

- Challah bread French toast - these were usually sold at the above mentioned diners. Challah is an eggy bread that is delicious on it's own, but especially lends itself to delicious French toast.

- decent Thia and Chinese food from restaurants with table cloths and tables.

Well that's what I miss.

How about you?
I'm in NJ, which, like LI, is the NYC metro area. I have a friend who years ago moved to the DC area. We tend to give each other food gifts at the holidays. One year I sent her a gift box from a NY deli with real bagels, two types of cream cheese, and some black and white cookies. She was thrilled.

By the way, my daughter used to date a boy who was born in Germany. In his country, black and white cookies are called "Americans".

Chuckled about the Kaiser rolls. I remember reading once about a guy who'd moved to the city and was perplexed that a buttered roll and coffee was breakfast for so many New Yorkers.

I'm still here, sheena, and all that is available to me. Unfortunately, too much sugar and bread makes my blood sugar spike, so bagels and black and whites are a rare treat these days. But Jersey is Diner Land, so I am blessed, and where I am now is about a 15-minute drive to the edge of the continent, so the clams are available. Not my favorite thing, but my friend loves them.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:16 AM

19,446 posts, read 27,855,486 times
Long Island to . . . But I left LI in 1975 at 18.

1. Hot pastrami sandwiches with Russian dressing and coke slaw, so thick with meat that it wouldn't fit in your mouth.
2. Bagels - not the cake in a bagel shape sold by Brueggers, Schlostky's, etc.
3. Soft-shell clams (aka Ipswich clams) where you grab the tail and whoosh them around in the clam broth that they produced when cooking. Butter is ccx optional.
4. My mother's fried chicken - made in an electric skillet, fried in crisco, not battered.
5. Dirty water hotdogs, hot pretzels and the smell of roasted chestnuts from the NYC street vendor.

Replacements:
1. Requires a trip to NY (or maybe philly), preferably Katz's Deli.
2. Mail order from New Yorker Bagels delivers a surprisingly good bagel! Even after they are frozen and defrosted, they are still good. Reasonably priced - $39.50 for a dozen of your choice including fedex delivery. Less if you live in one of the surrounding states. They run sales frequently. Highly recommended if you want NY style bagels.
3. I find them occasionally at Asian grocery stores, but rarely buy them. Expensive.
4. No replacement and mine never tastes the same.
5. No replacements. Those remain a figment of my memory.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 08-07-2020 at 06:34 AM..

Old 08-07-2020, 06:22 AM

5,341 posts, read 6,526,325 times
Frozen Tundra to Desert

Fresh Walleye, Venison, Juicy Lucy's, Deep Fried Cheese Curds.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:30 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Wow, what do I miss? Being raised in So CA and then spending several years in the DC area, I guess fresh sea food would be at the top of the list, especially remembering how dad used to go fishing and never returned with fresh fish, either fresh water or deep sea. Of course in the DC area it was crab that we loved, same as northern CA and crab.

There was one particular sandwich place near downtown L>A> when we were growing up and it is still there after 80 years: The home of the original fresh dip sandwich: Pillipi's. I have never had a decent French dip since the last time I ate there about 25 years ago.

Lat but not least is really good Chinese food either from the bay area or from China town in L.A. but I have heard China Town is the pits now days

I forgot the one and only totally fresh, made from scratch cheap burger: In N Out. For price and freshness nothing compares.

Last edited by nmnita; 08-07-2020 at 06:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink