Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2020, 08:24 AM

126,287 posts, read 19,062,233 times

Advertisements

I miss my mothers cooking.She was an amazing cook and baker.I was told when my father married her so long ago she did not even know how to boil an egg.

She made amazing hot and cold soups and one of my favorite cold soups was chilled sour cherry soup with dumplings.Her casserole dishes were always tasty,no matter what leftovers she added in it.She was a master in making the thinnest German pancakes with homemade fruit syrup or compote.I remember her standing endlessly making her own jams,fruit juices all harvested from our big garden.In summer she hired help to pick all the cherries and other berries and processing them so she could make the jams and juice or pickle the vegetables.Sitting beside the helpers and removing cherry pits with a special tool was fun,one cherry in the mouth,one in the pot.Although I never enjoyed meat in my childhood I still remember her wild game dishes with homemade cranberry sauce,wild rice and chanterelles picked freshly in the forest.One of my favorite meals was rice with a creamy chanterelles sauce and a garden salad.Käsespätzle with caramelized onions was another favorite of mine.Steamed rainbow trout with boiled potatoes and whipped horseradish was a Christmas special and for Easter her specialty Kulebyaka a Russian salmon pie with rice, mushrooms, onions and dill.But most of all I fondly remember when my paternal grandmother and my mother got together during the Advent season and baked by hand for weeks Christmas sweets such as Marzipan/Rum stollen,Spice cakes,Lebkuchen,Lebkuchen houses and our home smelled divine.They baked and gave away to family,friends,people who helped them throughout the year and they send parcels overseas.A tradition I carried on about 36 years ago and still continue,until I no longer can do it.
Oh how I miss the olden time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2020, 08:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
I grew up on the east coast and I miss the seafood from that region.

Oh and how could I have forgotten? I really miss good ol' boiled peanuts, from just about any stand on the side of the road, or even convenience stores, through Georgia and Alabama. I find them occasionally outside that area, and even here in NE Texas once in awhile, but they're just not the same, though I did find some really good ones on the side of the road once in NC. My husband thought they sounded terrible - then he tried them and now he's a convert!

Good grits - I don't understand why a region which thinks of itself as southern (NE TX) as a whole just can't seem to cook a good bowl of grits. No wonder people don't like them - I don't like them either around here. Give me some deep south grits! Preferably cheese grits but never served with sugar! LET THAT BE ANATHEMA!

I can get some decent beignets around here but none as good as the ones in south Louisiana. Hint - you can make good beignets yourself from the mix you can buy online or from Cafe DuMonde (or the French Market or just about anywhere else) in NOLA. We can buy the mix here in the grocery store actually. It's good! They're not particularly difficult to make - just messy.

Speaking of beignets - I know how to make the coffee too - but there's something about sitting at an outdoor cafe in New Orleans and sipping that chicory coffee with lots of milk in it, and munching on a beignet (and thinking "I think I'm gaining a pound a day down here,") that's particularly satisfying.

I really miss German breads here. I cannot find them anywhere. I mean, not in any of my travels to other US regions either. I miss that fresh baked, crusty, sometimes chewy bread baked daily in Germany.

When sushi first became popular in the US, I remember going into an authentic Japanese restaurant and it's funny how the sense of smell can really evoke memories, because I hadn't thought much of my early childhood memories of Japan till I walked into that restaurant - and WOW, the scents of an outdoor market, and just the foods in general, hit me so hard that I literally started crying. I can get good Asian food here, and we have a great Asian market here too, but those smells made me miss the real deal.

If I moved from Texas, I would definitely miss Texas BBQ and authentic Mexican foods, especially with a dash of Tex Mex in them. I am glad that we can get Hatch peppers here from New Mexico. LOVE those and love poblano peppers too. I would miss authentic chiles rellenos probably - one of my very favorite dishes.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:32 AM

8,772 posts, read 5,065,317 times
I miss the New England seafood.....Lobster and steamers, pizza.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:50 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,977,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcandme View Post
I miss the New England seafood.....Lobster and steamers, pizza.
OMG when my husband and I went to Maine on vacation a few years ago, I think I ate lobster at least once every single day! Sometimes more often - LOL.

Old 08-07-2020, 10:58 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,785,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
I miss my mothers cooking.She was an amazing cook and baker.I was told when my father married her so long ago she did not even know how to boil an egg.

She made amazing hot and cold soups and one of my favorite cold soups was chilled sour cherry soup with dumplings.Her casserole dishes were always tasty,no matter what leftovers she added in it.She was a master in making the thinnest German pancakes with homemade fruit syrup or compote.I remember her standing endlessly making her own jams,fruit juices all harvested from our big garden.In summer she hired help to pick all the cherries and other berries and processing them so she could make the jams and juice or pickle the vegetables.Sitting beside the helpers and removing cherry pits with a special tool was fun,one cherry in the mouth,one in the pot.Although I never enjoyed meat in my childhood I still remember her wild game dishes with homemade cranberry sauce,wild rice and chanterelles picked freshly in the forest.One of my favorite meals was rice with a creamy chanterelles sauce and a garden salad.Käsespätzle with caramelized onions was another favorite of mine.Steamed rainbow trout with boiled potatoes and whipped horseradish was a Christmas special and for Easter her specialty Kulebyaka a Russian salmon pie with rice, mushrooms, onions and dill.But most of all I fondly remember when my paternal grandmother and my mother got together during the Advent season and baked by hand for weeks Christmas sweets such as Marzipan/Rum stollen,Spice cakes,Lebkuchen,Lebkuchen houses and our home smelled divine.They baked and gave away to family,friends,people who helped them throughout the year and they send parcels overseas.A tradition I carried on about 36 years ago and still continue,until I no longer can do it.
Oh how I miss the olden time!
Interesting as I thought this was what the thread was all about, but when people started posting it turned into favorite restaurants or favorite types of foods from certain regions. So I followed by listing "eat out" foods. Thanks for turning this around.

From home: I miss my mom's meat loaf, I just can not make it like she did and I miss my dads unbelievable prime rib. Of course then there was my grandma who lived in Colorado so we saw her rarely, but when we did I couldn't get enough of her true old time cooking, life cherry pie and southern fried chicken. She also did some awesome German dishes as the family on moms side were recent German immigrants.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm in NJ, which, like LI, is the NYC metro area. I have a friend who years ago moved to the DC area. We tend to give each other food gifts at the holidays. One year I sent her a gift box from a NY deli with real bagels, two types of cream cheese, and some black and white cookies. She was thrilled.

By the way, my daughter used to date a boy who was born in Germany. In his country, black and white cookies are called "Americans".
Oh I do remember those.Mother used to make them for my birthday parties with thick vanilla or chocolate icing.They were the size of coffee cup plates.Tradition continued and I baked them for my kids!

https://www.oetker.de/rezepte/r/amerikaner

Old 08-07-2020, 11:51 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJnewbielandlord View Post
LOL omg these are great!!!

Queens/BK to NJ ((eye roll, I KNOW its not THAT far but still)....

I miss GREAT chinese food - NJ has blah chinese spots
No, it's a difference, because you are right--most of our Chinese food places here are not good. I've eaten in a Chinese place in Flushing where I was one of three non-Asians in the entire restaurant. My dining companion, a former Jewish Brooklyn boy now on LI, had fried chicken feet. I am not quite so adventurous and didn't eat meat at the time anyway, but I had wonderful dumplings and a shrimp dish. A far cry from the sugary crap that's a bunch of vegetables in sauce to which is added your protein of choice at the places around here.

Quote:
Spanish restaurants- again, NJ has but they just arent the same
Really? Not even in the Ironbound in Newark? I always had good Spanish and Portugese food there, and one of my friends, whose parents were from Spain, grew up there. There's a lot of Brazilian influence now that wasn't there 20 years ago, but you should still be able to get good Spanish food there. I went with her a few times, and she gets food she grew up on, like octopus and snails. I am a little more into the shrimp and chorizo dishes. Also had some good duck there.

Grenada in Hawthorne has always been well-regarded for Spanish food, too. It's been a while since I was there--moved from north to central Jersey ten years ago.

Quote:
I work in the city (World Trade Center) so i should stop complaining and just jump on the train and get my fix right????????????!
I worked in the WTC from 1982 to 2001 (ya know, THAT day) and watched the area change from a place that was pretty much dead to all sorts of good restaurants of every type popping up, the dirt from the original construction turned into Battery Park City, and the abandoned warehouses north of the complex turned into Tribeca. I worked on the rebuild in 2008 and 2009, and then returned to the new 4 WTC before retiring in 2016. I worked in the area again part-time post-retirement (lower Broadway) until COVID killed what I did, and I do miss all the food choices there. You could just walk a couple of blocks and find anything you wanted.

Old 08-07-2020, 11:58 AM

88,614 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almrausch View Post
Oh I do remember those.Mother used to make them for my birthday parties with thick vanilla or chocolate icing.They were the size of coffee cup plates.Tradition continued and I baked them for my kids!

https://www.oetker.de/rezepte/r/amerikaner
Thanks. "Amerikaner". I was trying to think of the German word.

They are SOOOO good, and SOOOO bad for my blood sugar.

From your side of the pond, not Germany, but your old neighbor, my ancestral home of the Netherlands, I also love stroopwafels, another diabetes-inducing treat. I buy them from a Dutch woman at a general store in your current country of residence when I am there. Where I wish I was and can't be right now.

Old 08-07-2020, 12:01 PM

2,520 posts, read 2,075,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Lemon rice soup.

https://www.nwitimes.com/entertainme...20bc68a.html#1

It's a somewhat Greek-ish soup but not at all authentic and it's absolutely delicious and I still can't make it myself no matter how I try! And I have never found it outside of da' Region.
My mother would make her version of this on Thanksgiving. We arent Greek (armenian), so after eating she'd use the leftover pilaf for the rice part, and lemons of course, then I think she would also swirl in an egg at the end.

It was so good!
And it's so easy to make......

ETA: Duh..she'd add the leftover turkey too!!

Old 08-07-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Thanks. "Amerikaner". I was trying to think of the German word.

They are SOOOO good, and SOOOO bad for my blood sugar.

From your side of the pond, not Germany, but your old neighbor, my ancestral home of the Netherlands, I also love stroopwafels, another diabetes-inducing treat. I buy them from a Dutch woman at a general store in your current country of residence when I am there. Where I wish I was and can't be right now.
I had Stroopwafel before but you are right they are even for me now too sweet.Good old memories.
MQ Ontario does miss you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink