Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2020, 07:48 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,438,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
we have Einsteins here and yes, they are a distant 2nd to real NY and L.a. bagels. We also have another bagel place but even then, they are not like the bagels I remember in San Fernando Valley. Our son in law who is Jewish and introduced us to bagels was raised in San Fernando Valley.

I know what you mean about living in So. CA I grew up there and my dad loved to teach us the merits of good, ethnic food.
I'm intrigued now - do you happen to know/remember the name of the place in SFV that has NY style bagels? One of my daughter's pediatricians was originally from NY and she gave us a bagel with schmear and said it took her ages to find a place that even came close to the bagels she was used to having grown up in NY. I'm wondering if its the same place. I have friends in the valley and I could ask them to bring me some next time they visit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 12:10 PM

2,065 posts, read 1,865,608 times
Buffalo pizza and chicken wings. I also miss calzones with ricotta. Rochester NY pizza also very good. Fortunately I don't have any kind very often.

I really enjoyed the food in Toronto and would like to visit Montreal some day.

Old 09-08-2020, 04:25 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
We mostly missed the really good, inexpensive Italian restaurants that we had in the S.F. Bay Area, and a great seafood restaurant in Berkeley. We have gone back to visit and they had all closed up.

Old 09-11-2020, 05:55 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
I don't know if I already posted since this is an old thread.

I miss half n half, decent butter, pre-made anything a la Trader Joe's. Decaf coffee. Chocolate chips.
Lemons. Hearts of romaine. Decent cheese. Blueberries, raspberries, edible avocados.

And yes, the wonderful Mexican food of SoCal and pastrami no matter where.

We moved to So. America, but not for the food, lol.

Old 09-11-2020, 10:23 PM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
I’m from Tennessee, but lived in Indiana for years.

Tenderloin sandwiches are something I miss. The only place here that has them is a German restaurant - tenderloin sandwiches are thin, large, breaded, pan-fried pork loin with breading

Old 09-12-2020, 06:04 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
I'm intrigued now - do you happen to know/remember the name of the place in SFV that has NY style bagels? One of my daughter's pediatricians was originally from NY and she gave us a bagel with schmear and said it took her ages to find a place that even came close to the bagels she was used to having grown up in NY. I'm wondering if its the same place. I have friends in the valley and I could ask them to bring me some next time they visit.
I think it was Sal's but I also think it is out of business. It was in No Hollywood area. I will find out from my son in law if I think to ask him next time I see him. The food was great and as authentic as it could be. Our son in laws is Jewish and his family, from Chicago lived in the SFV.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:06 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I don't know if I already posted since this is an old thread.

I miss half n half, decent butter, pre-made anything a la Trader Joe's. Decaf coffee. Chocolate chips.
Lemons. Hearts of romaine. Decent cheese. Blueberries, raspberries, edible avocados.

And yes, the wonderful Mexican food of SoCal and pastrami no matter where.

We moved to So. America, but not for the food, lol.
I forgot about good pastrami and yes, there is no place like CA for truly good avocados, but we survive and lean to accept what we have available.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:22 PM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
Buffalo pizza and chicken wings. I also miss calzones with ricotta. Rochester NY pizza also very good. Fortunately I don't have any kind very often.

I really enjoyed the food in Toronto and would like to visit Montreal some day.
I'll bite.

What DO calzones have in them where you live now if not ricotta?

Old 09-14-2020, 04:41 PM

88,589 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I forgot about good pastrami and yes, there is no place like CA for truly good avocados, but we survive and lean to accept what we have available.
That has me curious. I grew up in New Jersey, and avocado to me was a popular color for kitchen appliances in the 1970s. I had a vague idea that it was some kind of food thing that grew on a tree, but it wasn't something that was sold in the supermarket or that anyone I knew had ever eaten.

Fast forward to the 80s, when noodles became pasta and people started eating things like sushi that no one had ever heard of and pretending they liked it so everyone would think they were trendy and cool.

I started to hear people talk about avocados and artichokes, but I couldn't have identified either if you'd thrown them at me, and I even thought for a while that they were the same thing.

About fifteen years ago, I finally tried guacamole. I'd never really been impressed with Mexican food, but I liked tacos made at home. I asked whoever gave it to me what guacamole was made of, and they said "avocado"!

AHA! The whole 1970s appliance color made sense. They were talking about THIS!

In the past five years or so, I've been served salads that have slices of avocado in them. Hmm. Took a bit to get over the texture of that in my mouth, but it didn't taste bad, so I ate it. As a matter of fact, it didn't taste like anything at all. I had no idea why people would want to eat avocado on its own, but now guacamole made more sense. It's a base for the spices that make it taste good! It works because it has no flavor of its own.

I eat avocados more regularly lately because I'm making my overall diet healthier. Good fats, supposedly. Sometimes I do detect a hint of a sort of grassy taste. It's not unpleasant. But by and large, avocados really don't taste like much to me. I know other people who just don't get why people eat avocados, and I've wondered if they are like tomatoes, where if you get them locally they are wonderful, but if you get them in a supermarket, they taste like nothing. The phrase I bolded above seems to indicate that this is the case.

Old 09-14-2020, 05:07 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,962,532 times
I'm with you when it comes to avocados MQ. Nice as a garnish, but I have yet to eat any that wowed me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink