Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 12:53 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post

Back here at home in good NY pizza gets harder & harder to find each year. It's either bland to awful chains (anything that has tv ads) or folks from the newer countries using cheap ingredients with lack of seasoning or undercooked crust. The old school Italian or Greek guys are mostly gone & for all the slice places around it's sometimes hard to find a good one.
I've said it before, but the best NY pizza scene around these days is found in Westchester, out on Long Island, and up in the Hudson Valley where a lot of the Italian families are still around. NYC still has its classic spots and some of the best slices money can buy, but the culture that produces a health amount of mom n pop pizzerias is not around much in NYC proper anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 01:08 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,862,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'll bite.

What DO calzones have in them where you live now if not ricotta?

Only mozzerella.

Old 09-22-2020, 03:06 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
Wisconsin: bratwurst & beer, very good East European restaurants
Iowa: not much honestly... the "loose meat" sandwiches were unique but not so great
Florida: "latin style" grilled chicken (marinated) with black beans & rice
Utah: Crownburgers - burgers with a big pile of mild pastrami & grilled onions on top served with "fry sauce"

Back here at home in good NY pizza gets harder & harder to find each year. It's either bland to awful chains (anything that has tv ads) or folks from the newer countries using cheap ingredients with lack of seasoning or undercooked crust. The old school Italian or Greek guys are mostly gone & for all the slice places around it's sometimes hard to find a good one.
If you want good pizza, maybe you should head to CT. You know, that New Haven pizza or even in central CT where so many Italian families still live they make great pizza. I don't know if it's the same as NY pizza because I don't know what NY pizza is like.

One time someone got me some Italian food in NYC and I didn't even know what it was. Turned out it was something with which I was familiar but it tasted totally different=delicious and out of this world.

I miss B&M baked bread, moist and sticky with raisins. The kind that comes in a can. You can hardly find it anymore, sometimes plain but seldom or never with the raisins.

Old 09-23-2020, 08:52 AM

837 posts, read 1,709,827 times
From California, where I grew up, I miss CA style Mexican food and the fabulous Farmer's Markets. Those Farmer's Markets of the 1980's-1990's have probably changed a lot, but at the time many were inexpensive and interesting with a huge variety.
From New Mexico, where I worked for three years, I miss New Mexico's version of Mexican food--much spicier than CA's. Both delicious in there own way.
From Philadelphia and burbs, where I worked for sixteen years, I miss Italian food and pizza. One could go into a little nondescript Italian restaurant next to a cheap motel, and find fabulous dishes. And, pizza in Philadelphia (not unlike New York) is everywhere, usually delicious, and sometimes absolutely gourmet quality.(Thinking about an Italian cheese pizza with pears.)

Old 09-24-2020, 06:31 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,683,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
From California, where I grew up, I miss CA style Mexican food and the fabulous Farmer's Markets. Those Farmer's Markets of the 1980's-1990's have probably changed a lot, but at the time many were inexpensive and interesting with a huge variety.
From New Mexico, where I worked for three years, I miss New Mexico's version of Mexican food--much spicier than CA's. Both delicious in there own way.
From Philadelphia and burbs, where I worked for sixteen years, I miss Italian food and pizza. One could go into a little nondescript Italian restaurant next to a cheap motel, and find fabulous dishes. And, pizza in Philadelphia (not unlike New York) is everywhere, usually delicious, and sometimes absolutely gourmet quality.(Thinking about an Italian cheese pizza with pears.)
wow, you sound like us in some ways: lived in NM for 7 years, yes love the Mexican food, especially Hatch chlis and raised in CA. What I miss there and I have mentioned this on the tread a few times, is the fresh produce like good avocados and fruit. I am not thinking farmers markets so much just the fresh period.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:52 AM

746 posts, read 838,184 times
Grew up in Maine and now live in Wisconsin. I really miss the roller sandwiches from Maine. Here they use tortillas and call them wraps. I have never found one I liked, even when making them with all my favorite stuff at home.

I also miss canned chicken haddie but I am buying it on amazon in addition to the roller bread

Old 09-24-2020, 08:03 AM

9,114 posts, read 6,155,520 times
For those missing real pastrami, Katz's Deli delivers. It's not outrageously priced. https://katzsdelicatessen.com/

Old 09-24-2020, 08:08 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,358,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I've said it before, but the best NY pizza scene around these days is found in Westchester, out on Long Island, and up in the Hudson Valley where a lot of the Italian families are still around. NYC still has its classic spots and some of the best slices money can buy, but the culture that produces a health amount of mom n pop pizzerias is not around much in NYC proper anymore.

From the city, I'd suggest a road trip to Carmen's Pizzeria inside Pete & Elda's Tavern in Neptune NJ. Some good pizza to be had in Old Forge PA too,

Old 09-24-2020, 09:23 AM

2,407 posts, read 1,525,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Some good pizza to be had in Old Forge PA too,
OF pizza should be called nasty cheezy bread. Because that's what it is.

Old 09-24-2020, 11:41 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,340,189 times
I have heard Old Forge has their own unique style. I drive through Scranton a couple of times a year. Usually I am trying to make time (on a 10 hour drive, no less), but maybe I'll try to make time to stop for lunch there one of these days.

NY pizza is soul-food to me and always my #1 choice, but I am not a snob and love trying regional styles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink